Premed 101 Forums

NonTrad path to Medicine, Is this crazy?

I have posted before and received some great advice (below) but once again am in need of objective opinions.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61522

Background: BScH. with a 3.0 GPA, not full course loads throughout, MA with 3.8 full time.

Got accepted to U of Ts competitive MPH in epidemiology for the fall. Due to several circumstances and being unable to complete my MA in time, I requested a deferral and although I am not *gauranteed* this deferral, I feel positively that I may be reaccepted next year.

I have accepted a BSc. Health Sciences at Ottawa U, and can complete it in 2 full years and one summer.

Initially, I was planning on foregoing the MPH for two years to complete the BSc. to be eligible to apply to meds.

Now, I think I will complete 1 year of the second undergrad, go to Toronto for my MPH (2 years), then have the ability to work going into the second and final year of my 2nd undergrad.

MY question for all of you clever medders is: Am I nuts? What are the pros and cons of doing this path, versus a more linear path of completing the BSc. in two years THAN doing the MPH? Will med schools look at this non-linear route VERY unconventional route negatively?

Thank you.

I would really appreciate any advice at all.

Does it look bad to adcoms if I breakup the completion of a second undergrad between another graduate degree in public health? Am I silly to do this ? I realize I may sound a bit uncertain about myself given this will be a third degree, however I am very certain with where I want to go.

My only uncertainty involves public health as my backup. I essentially want to work in public health until I go into Medicine (so keep applying consecutively every year)

The linear path is logical and makes sense. I am not yet aware of any possible sensible explanation as to why you are considering to do otherwise. On the basis that you need another bachelors degree, why not simply complete it OR do the Masters and then the bachelors.

Why even put yourself in the position where you feel the need to explain your complicated alternative scenario or you are required to do so. I guess, if there is understandable logic to your madness, lol, it will be fine - but it lacks cohesion to me as I understand it. And both pathways will get you to the same place.

I have to agree, Im not sure why you would do both and not simply choose one. Either one would be beneficial for med school applications and certainly they both open doors to other back-up careers if necessary. My advice would be to choose one and see it through.

Ultimately, that being said, you have to do what's right for you!

The linear path is logical and makes sense. I am not yet aware of any possible sensible explanation as to why you are considering to do otherwise. On the basis that you need another bachelors degree, why not simply complete it OR do the Masters and then the bachelors.

Why even put yourself in the position where you feel the need to explain your complicated alternative scenario or you are required to do so. I guess, if there is understandable logic to your madness, lol, it will be fine - but it lacks cohesion to me as I understand it. And both pathways will get you to the same place.

I appreciate your response.

The only reason I would break up the second undergrad between the MPH is because I fear I will not be admitted again. It is my understanding Toronto does not like pre-meds, and while my application may not appear premed if I re-apply this coming cycle, it may begin to in 2 years.

While I realize there are other MPH programs, U of Ts is the best in my opinion. Nonetheless, given I am currently finishing up an MA, my headspace is much more into commencing the second undergrad in health sciences, at this point in time. Just concerned I will 'miss the boat' for U of T if I wait the two years.

Perhaps in rationalizing the pros and cons of each, the linear path may be more worth it for med applications?

I want to do it all without appearing 'wishy washy', which is probably exactly how I'm appearing lol.

finish a second undergrad. Lets assume you will kill it i.e. 3.8+ and then those marks should be good enough for you to get into any MPH program. I am at U of A and here they look at last 60 credits GPA for admittance. IMO completing a second undergrad would be better for both meds and MPH.

you're not nuts, i use to not tell neone, but i want to do jd, mph, n md… i seem capricious externally because it's seen as arrogant or crazy… i need to be multi-modal, to have multiple things going on… im paralyzed by order n linearity, its too limiting for my mind to retain interest, which is why i always have 20 projects on go, im writing book on add now n that made me just stop caring… others ppls minds r diff, they work best in a linear career, im different… why have to bs n say i want to do this or that when i want all 3… i dont know why you want your path, but the only person who can tell you wuts best for u is u, bcuz u know wut u want, n value

also… u of t mph is well, not other mph's, you're right, it is the best, by far, in canada, so like u said, very secure… n that seems important 2 u

I have posted before and received some great advice (below) but once again am in need of objective opinions.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61522

Background: BScH. with a 3.0 GPA, not full course loads throughout, MA with 3.8 full time.

Got accepted to U of Ts competitive MPH in epidemiology for the fall. Due to several circumstances and being unable to complete my MA in time, I requested a deferral and although I am not *gauranteed* this deferral, I feel positively that I may be reaccepted next year.

I have accepted a BSc. Health Sciences at Ottawa U, and can complete it in 2 full years and one summer.

Initially, I was planning on foregoing the MPH for two years to complete the BSc. to be eligible to apply to meds.

Now, I think I will complete 1 year of the second undergrad, go to Toronto for my MPH (2 years), then have the ability to work going into the second and final year of my 2nd undergrad.

MY question for all of you clever medders is: Am I nuts? What are the pros and cons of doing this path, versus a more linear path of completing the BSc. in two years THAN doing the MPH? Will med schools look at this non-linear route VERY unconventional route negatively?

Thank you.

Archived