Premed 101 Forums

HELP: How to raise VR score from 9-10 to 12+

boourns

Hi all,

I am writing my MCAT this september and applying this cycle. I really want to kill the VR section in order to cater my application towards Calgary.

A month into my studying, I have raised my VR score from starting out around a 6, to consistently a 9-10 (around 73%), on my TPR and EK101 passages.

I am struggling to get to the next level though- my aim is to get to around a 12-13 in verbal in the next 2 months. I am consistently getting around 5/7 on TPR passages, and 5-6/7 on EK passages. My timing is okay, capping myself at 8 minutes per passage

Any tips on how to step up my VR game?

I am particularly struggling with questions like, from the passage, what can you infer about blah in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Hey! I'm in a similar situation and have managed to score 11-12 a few times so far on my EK 101 practice...the first time I wrote I scored a 7. Honestly I think for me practicing a ton of full length verbal tests is the best help; I made a list of tips from TPR related to common questions and answer types and I posted those up to help guide me. I find my scores have improved with these tips and really paying close attention to answer types and common traps. I also read articles online every day and practice mapping them and finding the purpose and tone...

Not sure how helpful that is! Bottom line I say practice as many verbal tests as possible and really think about what the question is asking and which answer is the best (use the tips from the book!)...

I am also using the TPR and EK verbal passages for practice. I have yet to do a full length test. How do you guys determine that your scores are consistently around 9-10 (for the TPR)? I am doing a few passages each day from the TPR verbal workbook and getting 5/7 or 4/6 mostly on the passages. How do I find out what score range I am in? i know there is a scale for the older EK but what about the TPR passages?

If TPR and EK don't work for you, try Kaplan course! I don't know, ppl say Kaplan is really bad... but I raised my verbal score to 12+ with kaplan. I guess the main thing is trying to find the best study plan for you.

Also, try to time yourself to about ~7 mins per passage. I thought Kaplan passages were extremely long and hard. After practicing like that for two months, when I took the actual MCAT, I had 7 minutes left on the verbal section, which was plenty of time to go through the answers I was not sure about.

Archived