Premed 101 Forums

Roommates/Apartments

Islander_025

Hey-

I think that it all depends what you are looking for. If you are a more mature student, perhaps, and have a family, you may want to consider Dartmouth or Clayton Park (rent it cheaper, nicer, bigger accommodation).

If you are a single student (or without kids), you'd probably want to consider being on the peninsula. The southend of Halifax is nice but rent is pricey. It's really handy though, because it's close to the medical school and teaching hospitals. That's where most people live.

If you have a car (although beware, parking by the med school is limited and pricey), or don't mind taking a bus a half hour or more everyday, then you can live out there. Otherwise, I'd recommend south of the commons

Also- Dartmouth has a really bad rap, especially as of late. There are definitely some nice parts though! Some of the subdivisions are really nice, and there are nice apartments too. There are also, however, some areas I would certainly wish to avoid...not to mention, it's quite a commute to town.

Take it from me, someone that tried doing the commute from dartmouth every day last year; don't do it.

Dartmouth isn't that bad. I've lived here all my life. Most parts of it are pretty nice. With that said, crossing the bridge during traffic hours is one of the most frustrating things in existence, and busses can be very slow. Live in halifax within walking distance of the school. You won't regret it if you can afford it. You'll make plenty of friends in med school and will want to be around campus. Living in Dartmouth will be a huge burden.

Also- Dartmouth has a really bad rap, especially as of late. There are definitely some nice parts though! Some of the subdivisions are really nice, and there are nice apartments too. There are also, however, some areas I would certainly wish to avoid...not to mention, it's quite a commute to town.

Agree totally! (Except the commute part) I love love love Dartmouth, just bought a house here. Downtown Dartmouth especially is growing and has a great community. I have lived here all my life and commuted to and from the South End for school and it wasn't bad at all. Many of my friends were in the same situation and we never found it bad. However, I have my own car, so that makes a big difference. The bad rep that Dartmouth gets is mostly in good fun, and not really true. I find it's like making fun of your little sibling, just teasing! Just like Halifax, there are places to avoid in Dartmouth. I wouldn't say any of our neighbourhoods are any worse than something like Uniacke Square.

For being close to school and all the action, I'd say live in Halifax, but Dartmouth has its appeal too. All that being said, if I were single, new to the city with no ties to the "Darkside", I'd live near to the school :) If you find a place you're interested in, send me (or another one of us!) a PM and I/we can let you know what kind of neighbourhood it's in!

Archived