Premed 101 Forums

YORK BSc PSYCHOLOGY > UOFT LIFE SCI

I guess ill do better in York either way because I didn't like UofT at all, all aspects, including the atmoshphere, and I know WAY more people getting into medschool from York than from UofT, so i guess case closed.

Confirmed for troll.

Are you doing the BA or BSc if not troll?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess ill do better in York either way because I didn't like UofT at all, all aspects, including the atmoshphere, and I know WAY more people getting into medschool from York than from UofT, so i guess case closed.

You're so hilariously misinformed that I don't even know where to begin .....

so i just wont

Hi, I was just wondering what courses everyone is taking for dental school, what is a good GPA for dental school and what most canadian universities are looking for. I suppose Western and Uoft are the only dental offering schools, but im not too certain.

Why did I even waste my ....... time trying to give you info on York vs UT. You are not going to get anywhere with your ignorance. CASE CLOSED.

why am I misinformed? more people get into medschool from UofT??? dont really think so... they make it unnecessarily hard

and im doing BSc psychology

Fallacious must be your middle name

chem 1000: first test average = 30% second test average = 35% third test average = 45%

Chem 1001: first test average = 30% second test average = 55% third test average = 40%

Get a clue

LOL NO OMG! :eek:

hahaha, i didn't mean it arrogantly, i'm just lost and im trying to make a big decision and I keep choosing York over Uoft because of what i've heard!

I just want to know people who have been in similar experiences like me, who can give me advice on whether or not York is good idea for medschool, esp if im not doing good at uoft

chem 1000: first test average = 30% second test average = 35% third test average = 45%

Chem 1001: first test average = 30% second test average = 55% third test average = 40%

Get a clue

It wasn't that bad when I took it, and it probably isn't this bad. If it was, the Profs will raise it at the end.

Don't Worry OP.. I know afew thats transferred from ut and are doing wonderful things at yorku now. so you definitely made the right choice.

I guess just work on your own study skills and your own abilities. Make lots of friends. Get lots of help from all the yorku help programs (there are so many that you will be overwhelmed by helpful people lol)

Go to office hours and annoy the hell out of your prof with anything that you don't understand. Study smart and study a lot. Find lots of past exams. pay attention to what your prof says/when they give hints.. don't get lazy and attend all classes.

I guess thats all there is to first year. Have fun.. and ask lots of question.

Why take the BSc? Aren't you kind of shooting yourself in the foot considering you can take science courses in the BA if you want?

At least in the BA you aren't forced to take X number of science courses in addition to the med school prerequisites you'll be taking, plus calculus and computer science. Seems like an unnecessary GPA hit, but then again I'm insane.

It wasn't that bad when I took it, and it probably isn't this bad. If it was, the Profs will raise it at the end.

Don't Worry OP.. I know afew thats transferred from ut and are doing wonderful things at yorku now. so you definitely made the right choice.

I guess just work on your own study skills and your own abilities. Make lots of friends. Get lots of help from all the yorku help programs (there are so many that you will be overwhelmed by helpful people lol)

Go to office hours and annoy the hell out of your prof with anything that you don't understand. Study smart and study a lot. Find lots of past exams. pay attention to what your prof says/when they give hints.. don't get lazy and attend all classes.

I guess thats all there is to first year. Have fun.. and ask lots of question.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I find it hilarious how some people only find things that they want to hear helpful or like only those things that they want to hear.

haha yeah what even is the point of this thread

OP: Don't forget that the uoft majors who enter 2nd year at york have already developed the skills required to do well in university from 1st year. There are many york students who also do better in their 2nd year than in their first year but that doesn't mean 2nd year is easier than 1st year. And since you haven't even bothered to learn from the mistakes you made in 1st year, I don't see you doing any better in 2nd year. Good luck! :D

Get a clue

not only that...

York has a tiny faculty of science and health when compared to uofts... there are def a lot more premeds that apply from uoft and get in... there are even more prelaws than premeds at york (people applying to ontario medschool exceeds those applying to ontario law school)

Lets assume you get 89% on all your courses, at york, you will get a nice 3.8

at uoft, you will get a 3.9.

You're putting yourself at huge disadvantage for the OSMAS scale if you transfer to york -> that will hurt you when the time comes to apply to medschool

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Get an 84% on all your courses, and at York, you end up with a 3.8. At UofT, you end up with a 3.7.

Works both ways.

Comes down to what range you believe most of your marks will fall in.

Get an 84% on all your courses' date=' and at York, you end up with a 3.8. At UofT, you end up with a 3.7.

Works both ways.

Comes down to what range you believe most of your marks will fall in.[/quote']

What if I believe most of my marks will fall in the 60-64% range?

*tees up the ball*

OP, you can take a look at this thread if you want. The person got into medical school from YorkU biochemistry.

http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst13046_Ask-me-anything-about-applying-and-getting-into-Medical-School.aspx

And FYI, there are many more people getting in from UFT into medicine than from York. This doesn't mean that the students are dumb at York. Its just that there aren't many people whoa re gunning for medicine and dentistry from YorkU. I know 2 friends at UFT who have 3.7+. One of them got like a 3.4 first semester, but a 4.0 in the second with like a 95% in all his courses, so it is possible (for some at least). Why do I feel like I made the worst decision going into York Chemistry now........? I would choose a chemistry course over a biology one any-day but all the horror stories are making me paranoid. And apparently the guy in the student awards forum said that they do bell-curve all the grades for averages in like the 40s/50s range, its just that its at the end of a course, whereas in UFT they do it after every test.

I even made a thread about this. http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63471&highlight=zainy1993

My friend said that UofT undergrad forced him to develop strong time management and organizational skills so that he was never behind in any class. He was a strong student to begin with.

Now let's look at the undergraduate institution that many medical students came from. I'm not going to mention the name of the program/school because I rather not perpetuate the thought that going to this school will get them into med/dent. For some reason there isn't an equal or even near-equal distribution of representation from Ontario universities; some universities actually seem to dominate the class population (dominate might be exaggerating, but a large proportion).

The interesting part is that the dominating population don't do as well as those that did undergrad at UofT. Of course this is subjective/anecdotal, but students talk and they compare grades on tests/exams/etc. It can't be the case that the students from universities that make up a high % of the class population are stronger and more capable, but more likely that there is a discrepancy in the difficulty between universities. If all universities were at the same difficulty level, then there would be a more equal distribution from different universities.

I transferred from Waterloo to UofT and I don't regret it. In fact I did better at UofT than I did at Waterloo and enjoyed the campus a lot more as well.

How do people know that UofT is harder unless you've had a lot of people take the same courses at both?

If the supposedly "better" students out of high school go to UofT, shouldn't it be easier? Or maybe that's why they say it's hard, because it's suddenly not the breeze that high school was for them.

I guess you'd just have to compare average GPA in a program across all professors, between the two schools.

Get a clue

I don't know where those statistics are from. I just took CHEM 1000 & 1001 this past year. Class average was a consistent C or C+. This is normal for first year chemistry classes from what I understand.

I don't know where those statistics are from. I just took CHEM 1000 & 1001 this past year. Class average was a consistent C or C+. This is normal for first year chemistry classes from what I understand.

They have the same type of kids at U of T, who just like to hype up the difficulty and they post up insanely low class averages, like in the 30-50s range. I first came to UFT thinking that all our courses would have like a 50% class average hearing it from other people. I figured out that 90% of the courses have an average of 60-69. Both our Bio courses first year had an average of 70-72. The upper year courses(3rd and 4th year ones) have an even higher class average, usually C+ and up.

The least they could do is actually post real class averages, and not the ones they make up inside their head to make them feel better.

I don't know which university you're from. At york, every chem 1000/1001 section has had those test averages for a long time now. The labs are worth 20% and they are used to bump up the average. Even then, there is usually a slight bell curve to make the average a C.

You are kidding right?

They have the same type of kids at U of T, who just like to hype up the difficulty and they post up insanely low class averages, like in the 30-50s range. I first came to UFT thinking that all our courses would have like a 50% class average hearing it from other people. I figured out that 90% of the courses have an average of 60-69. Both our Bio courses first year had an average of 70-72. The upper year courses(3rd and 4th year ones) have an even higher class average, usually C+ and up.

The least they could do is actually post real class averages, and not the ones they make up inside their head to make them feel better.

Another example of liking only things you want to hear. The class average for first year chem and organic is A+ at York. You must really love me now!

Archived