Premed 101 Forums

Becoming A Dentist

Hi, I was just wondering what courses everyone is taking for dental school, what is a good GPA for dental school and what most canadian universities are looking for. I suppose Western and Uoft are the only dental offering schools, but im not too certain.

Anything I should know for US dental schools? I wanna keep US as an option if i don't get into Canadian!

Thanks!

PS. I currently go to York University for Psychology BSc

You typically need a higher GPA than you do for med school because you don't need EC's and the DAT is much easier than the MCAT.

Like med schools, prereqs for dent may differ from school to school so you should head on over to google to find that information.

But seeing as you're lazy and not very observant I will tell you that biochemistry is often listed as a prereq (which a psychology major may not take.)

Yours Truly,

Clever MD

I suppose Western and Uoft are the only dental offering schools, but im not too certain.

Anything I should know for US dental schools? I wanna keep US as an option if i don't get into Canadian!

It will take 30 seconds to google the list of 11 dental school in Canada :)

... and another few minute for reading the requirement posted on the school website

Hi, I was just wondering what courses everyone is taking for dental school, what is a good GPA for dental school and what most canadian universities are looking for. I suppose Western and Uoft are the only dental offering schools, but im not too certain.

Thanks!

PS. I currently go to York University for Psychology BSc

Hi,

Like Pisces said, you're asking a lot of broad questions without direct or specific answers. Look at each school in Canada (I'm pretty sure 11 is accurate), figure out what you can and come back with more directed questions. In general, you'll want a GPA of at least 3.8 or 85%. Although each school has different requirements, generally speaking you'll need Introductory Bio, Chem and Physics, at least 0.5 orgo, a biochem, a physiology and usually an English/non- science course. Take caution as requirements vary greatly between schools, this is just a basic list that should satisfy most schools' requirements.

US schools generally have lower requirements than Canadian schools. Go to studentdoctorforum to find out more information.

Hope this helps.

Archived