Premed 101 Forums

2002 Match Statistics

Guest Carolyn

Guest Ian Wong

Hot damn,

ENT was harder to get into this year than Ophthalmology...

Otolaryngology Match rate: 54%

Ophthalmology Match rate: 59%

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Praeludium

Hi, I'm wondering what exactly goes into residency matching and how someone can improve their chances of getting their 1st (or near 1st) choice in where s/he wants to go. I understand there are the exams, reference letters and interviews. I'm in the midst of choose a school to go to and wondering if it matters where you come from. For example, will someone from U of T be favored more than someone from U of Sask or maybe McMaster? Does it matter whether the system is Pass/Fass or H/P/F? Thanks!

Guest Carolyn

Check out the link: www.carms.ca/stats/stats_index.htm

The Match Report has been updatedIt has all the itty bitty details now on where people went from which school, match rates, percent getting first choice etc...

What amazes me is the absolute change from year to year -- schools that do really well one year, not as well the next, lots of family med one year, very little the next (opposite for us this year at Mac!)... Anyways, it is interesting!

Hope it is useful!

Carolyn

Guest Jennifer Y

I asked someone in a position to comment on this very same question and his answer to me was based on his experience with the graduated med students he came across from the various English speaking schools across Canada. While he thinks that UBC, Alberta, McGill, UT and Western turn out excellent med graduates, he found that some of the other schools turn out students that are not as good, and through these experiences amongst other things, he makes his decision for the selection. Of course, this is just one person's view.

Guest Carolyn

Interesting, What I interpret those statistics to say is that is very person dependent, not school dependent... Last year (i.e. 2001) Mac had about 30% of students going into Family (less than UBC, Dal etc.) -- This year it is 50%. I also noticed some of the schools that last year did extremely well at getting their first choice, this year didn't do as hot...

What I'm trying to say is it is much more important for people to chose a university where they'll learn best and have opportunities to get out and play the game well as opposed to the school where they believe they'll be in the best position to get their first choice! (I.e. get to the schools they potentially want to do residency on elective, do research, ECs etc., show their keenness, etc.)

Guest Thewonderer

I agree with Carolyn that the match stats seem to suggest that there are no "superstar" med schools in Canada. All schools seem to do equally well.

Of course, a lot of it depends on what grads from what schools want (i.e. hard-to-get specialties v.s. easier to get). But with the stats being the info given, it seems to argue for more of a equal-footing situation. And of course, grads of schools in certain regions do get the benefits of more contact and reputation in that region (common sense).

Archived