Premed 101 Forums

Nursing Courseload

banyaya

Hi I will be entering the UofT nursing program next year, I just checked that they usually have 3 classes and 2 clinical placements (only pass/fail) per semester. I read here that this may be an issue for the gpa grading if I intend to apply for med school in the future. Could anyone explain what exactly does this means? do I need to take extra classes after the program or something?:confused: Thanks!

Yea this is an issue and one that I'm dealing with right now! It depends on the medical school - some will take "full time studies" only for your GPA calculation and these schools don't recognize nursing as full time studies. I am currently speaking with the dean at one school to see if they will recognize nursing as full time studies because it IS full time and we have no choice in the program structure.

Most nursing programs won't allow you to take extra courses and you won't have time lol clinicals take up all your time. It really sucks! But again not every school is like that so its still possible to apply, as I'm currently doing!

are you applying this cycle? If so, can you let me know how it goes? I would like to know schools that would take nursing as full time studies. Like many other people choosing a 2nd degree, my first undergrad's gpa isn't that stellar, so I definitely need to weight my gpa. it really should count as full time! I will be in classes and clinical 9-5 everyday from Sept to June, how is that not full time studies haha :P

Yes my thoughts exactly!!! I will let you know which schools will use your nursing courses and which won't! It's absolutely absurd... Those schools will be missing out on some really qualified and competitive applicants!

Are you doing 4 years or the second entry? You'll love nursing I'm sure!!

Hi I will be entering the UofT nursing program next year, I just checked that they usually have 3 classes and 2 clinical placements (only pass/fail) per semester. I read here that this may be an issue for the gpa grading if I intend to apply for med school in the future. Could anyone explain what exactly does this means? do I need to take extra classes after the program or something?:confused: Thanks!

If you want to pursue medicine going into nursing is a bad choice! You will be miserable. Nursing theory is very different from medicine.

If you want to pursue medicine going into nursing is a bad choice! You will be miserable. Nursing theory is very different from medicine.

That's absolutely not true!!! I loved nursing studies and I love my job as a sexual and reproductive health nurse! Being in nursing has only made me want to pursue medicine more! You can love both... Thats really a narrow statement to make. The theories are different yes but if you love learning about health care, the body and the various ailments and treatments then you will love nursing. Many many nurses (lots on this forum!) have gone into medicine but still enjoyed their nursing studies.

• 3 months later...

Educational institutions don't identify course as regular research.You should currently discussing with the dean at one university to see if they will identify course as regular research because it IS regular and we have no option in the system framework, to remove course work load.

• 1 month later...
Guest andrea55
Is there anyone here who studied Nursing at Ottawa U, and then went on to and got accepted to med school?

Hi there.

I have not applied yet- but I am graduating from the 4 yr Nursing program at Ottawa U and will be applying to medical school next summer.

I think that taking nursing gives you a different perspective on healthcare, that in the long run could help you to be a better physician. But it is certainly not the easiest way to go. Nursing gave me the exposure that solidified for me the decision to pursue medicine- but there are certainly times when it is very frustrating as well.

All in all you should weight the pros and the cons depending on your situation.

Mcmaster totals all of your course GPA's- so you could apply there.

NOSM does the same thing I believe.

U of T uses the weighted GPA and I was told that it would basically be the cgpa as the nursing curriculum doesnt qualify for the weighting formula. Overall you just need to do a bit of research about what each medical school accepts as a full course load.

There are lots of great nurses on here who are pursuing medicine- so if you have any questions be sure to ask.

The biggest problem with RN -> MD is the science prereqs that a lot of med schools have. And writing the MCAT is going to be a lot harder, compared to HBSc people who covered all that subject matter during their degree. I'm a nurse applying to med school now, when I started I never imagined I would be applying to med. If I were to do it all over again, I would prob do a science degree. It's tough to get a high GPA in nursing too because a lot of the assignments are papers and presentations.. at least at my school the profs don't believe in giving above 90% on that stuff. But nursing is great because you can work while you apply to med school if you don't get in right away, and you always have the NP thing as a backup plan.

Nursing -> Med can be an excellent choice, but be prepared to either a) start in Science B) Shove your science courses into your BScN where they will fit or c) do extra years in science post-degree.

It's not easy, I've completed my BScN while simultaneously taking courses in my BSc. I managed to pull off a strong GPA and have applied to medical school this year (although I'm now leaning heavily towards dental school, just a realization of what I would prefer to study/work in).

Honestly, despite the heavy course load I wouldn't have done it any other way. It was a choice from the beginning whether to complete my BSc or do the BScN, and while I hated the first couple years of Nursing (ugh nursing theory), ultimately it was the right choice for me. You get great experience and exposure to healthcare, and the opportunity to get excellent references and work experience before you apply to something else (be it a Master's, MD, DMD/DDS.. etc). It's not easy, but neither really is any route to med school. Do what's going to interest you and what you can get the best marks in, and what will get you the right pre-reqs at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Hi there.

I have not applied yet- but I am graduating from the 4 yr Nursing program at Ottawa U and will be applying to medical school next summer.

I think that taking nursing gives you a different perspective on healthcare, that in the long run could help you to be a better physician. But it is certainly not the easiest way to go. Nursing gave me the exposure that solidified for me the decision to pursue medicine- but there are certainly times when it is very frustrating as well.

All in all you should weight the pros and the cons depending on your situation.

Mcmaster totals all of your course GPA's- so you could apply there.

NOSM does the same thing I believe.

U of T uses the weighted GPA and I was told that it would basically be the cgpa as the nursing curriculum doesnt qualify for the weighting formula. Overall you just need to do a bit of research about what each medical school accepts as a full course load.

There are lots of great nurses on here who are pursuing medicine- so if you have any questions be sure to ask.

Andrea, I will be graduating this coming April too. What medical schools are you planning on applying to?

Guest andrea55
Andrea, I will be graduating this coming April too. What medical schools are you planning on applying to?

Hi Young Doc

I intend to apply to McMaster (this is my first choice school by far), Queens, Toronto, Calgary and possibly NOSM- for next years cycle.

Depending on if I am succesful or not I will take the prerequisites to increase my options.

Archived