Premed 101 Forums

Changes for Next Year

I would like to start a thread to keep track of any changes the COM are planning on making for the upcoming year. (Helps keep me and everyone else on track :D

So far, one of the changes, involves; the registration deadline being changed to the 1st...

As well, are they planning on increasing the seats for the college in the upcoming year... someone told me that they were planning on adding 21 seats to the current spots :confused:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to start a thread to keep track of any changes the COM are planning on making for the upcoming year. (Helps keep me and everyone else on track :D

So far, one of the changes, involves; the registration deadline being changed to the 1st...

As well, are they planning on increasing the seats for the college in the upcoming year... someone told me that they were planning on adding 21 seats to the current spots :confused:

As of today, the College of Medicine website says:

"Current admission requirements are under review. Updated applicant information will be posted as soon as it becomes available.

Please contact the admissions office with any questions or concerns."

Let us cross our fingers....

Nothing too different for IP folks it looks like at first glance.

Same references

Same interview:gpa weighting

Same MCAT minimums

Same 'no extra-curriculars' or essay section

Same pretty much everything

Anyone see any big differences?

There are no changes for IP applicants this cycle!:cool:

"Academic performance for Out-of-Province residents will be based on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning + Physical Sciences + Biological Sciences total score along with a required minimum GPA of 83% over all course work ..."

It appears to me that, as long as GPA is more than 83%, it is no longer relevant, and the ranking is based on MCAT sum alone. Is this correct?

"Academic performance for Out-of-Province residents will be based on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning + Physical Sciences + Biological Sciences total score along with a required minimum GPA of 83% over all course work ..."

It appears to me that, as long as GPA is more than 83%, it is no longer relevant, and the ranking is based on MCAT sum alone. Is this correct?

based on the description, it seems like the criteria determining interview is both mcat and gpa, they both require minimums 30 total MCAT, 83% total average overall

I almost got heart-attack but glad no big changes occur for IP applicant. I was thinking that Admission Committee might make degree requirement mandatory and was thinking that I might save some money this year by not going to school... of well... so here is the summary:

IP students (Undergrad): Nothing changed; same as before i.e. either prerequisites or MCAT and two full undergraduate years of study

IP students (grad): Again nothing changed!

OP students (undergrad): All OP students are required to complete MCAT and fulfilled degree requirements with minimum cumulative average of 83%.

OP students (grad): Grad work will not be considered.

http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/admissions/admissions-information/Applicant%20Information%202013

Looks like AdCom made it harder for OP applicants :eek:

I almost got heart-attack but glad no big changes occur for IP applicant. I was thinking that Admission Committee might make degree requirement mandatory and was thinking that I might save some money this year by not going to school... of well... so here is the summary:

IP students (Undergrad): Nothing changed; same as before i.e. either prerequisites or MCAT and two full undergraduate years of study

IP students (grad): AdCom will now consider either your grad work OR undergrad, whichever is best unless you do not have 9 credits (for master) or 15 credits (for Phd). If latter is the case, then AdCom will considered applicant's grad work AND best two best full undergraduate years. Prior to this year, AdCom did not solely consider your grad work.

OP students (undergrad): All OP students are required to complete MCAT and fulfilled degree requirements with minimum cumulative average of 83%.

OP students (grad): Grad work will not be considered.

http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/admissions/admissions-information/Applicant%20Information%202013

Looks like AdCom made it harder for OP applicants :eek:

Nothing's changed for IP grad students. Course work from grad studies is counted as one full year with your 2 year average.

^^^

From what the manual says, as in previous years, IP applicants have the choice of completing one of either prereqs or taking the mcat, whereas OOP applicants only have the option of taking the mcat, unless they have taken prereqs at uofs or uofr

Hey everyone, I just checked over the manual now and didn't find anything pertaining to LORs. Did I read it incorrectly? Or do we not require LORs for Saskatchewan?

(PAGE 7) C. References - Reference forms will be released at the time of interview offers. References are not scored; they are used on a rule in/rule out basis.

On another note: How has the academic admissions changed from last year? Also, should I bother applying with 85% cGPA and 11/11/10 Q?

(PAGE 7) C. References - Reference forms will be released at the time of interview offers. References are not scored; they are used on a rule in/rule out basis.

On another note: How has the academic admissions changed from last year? Also, should I bother applying with 85% cGPA and 11/11/10 Q?

This was answered in the other thread where you asked where to apply to. Since MCAT is distinguishing factor for OOP candidates, it's likely to be very high I'm guessing 36+ but I could be wrong.

@ ondansetron, not too sure but I believe MCAT is just pass or fail; as long as you have minimum of 30 N with no section below 8, MCAT requirement is fulfilled for OOP applicants, but note that it has increased from previous years for OOP applicants.

Requirements are only changed for OOP applicants; They are now required to have a 4 year degree so they can only apply in their final years, and now will need minimum cumulative average of at least 83% in all years, so no more two year average is required. But as indicated on College of Med site,

"The College of Medicine admission requirements for out-of-province residents are tentative pending approval of the University Senate on October 20th, 2012. Please check the website after October 20th , 2012 for information regarding the final approval of the admission requirements for

out-of-province applicants."

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

Many of you have probably seen this already, but for people like me who are applying to U of S over the next cycle, this decision may be critical. I just saw this on the U of S med page today:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Admissions Committee has recommended to the College of Medicine Faculty Council that the College transition over the next two years towards requiring a 4-year baccalaureate degree of Saskatchewan residents at entrance to undergraduate medical studies. Faculty Council will vote on this recommendation on January 30, 2013. If approved, the recommendation will then go to the University Council for discussion and approval. Third and final approval would then be by the University Senate. Approval by the Senate in April would lead to implementation for the next admissions cycle (i.e., application deadline of October 15, 2013)."

I really hope this does not mean that IP applicants will be considered by their overall GPA rather than their current policy of 2-year GPA. Ugh, I hate how much their admission policy is changing every year. Does anybody else have any information about this issue?

^Thanks for the update.

Not sure what they are trying to achieve.

1)Reduce younger applicants- recent flux of 19 year olds getting in. Are young med students a problem?

2) Make the pool less competitive- why? 1/5 odds seem comparatively easy.

3) Inflation of grade averages- people taking bird course in 2 years and now everyone is getting 90s. Dr. Ziola referred to this in his admissions presentation and seems to be the most likely answer. In which case, best 3/4 year policy might be underway.

I think this will just lead to some competitive SK applicants going OOP, since personally usask's greatest attraction was having a two year undergrad option. Admissions will also become a lot easier (academically) the year this is put in place since almost half the applicants would be removed. Meh, either im not affected or benefit next year.

4 year degree? I believed it was EITHER a 3 year OR a 4 year degree? Anyone want t validate this. As well, I agree with Simpsons on this... Sask's greatest selling point was its 2 year policy... I hope they bring MCAT into play as well... I'm presuming increased outflow of pre-meds out of Saskatoon given there are a few colleges still upholding the 2 year admission policy... At least its fair for the veterans... (the 30 year olds applying... honestly they deserve to be in medicine because of their insurmountable dedication) GOOD JOB BARRY!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

If you want to start thinking about universities other then U of S for medicine make sure to take Chem 255. I wish I could take it but I hear it is hard and haven't taken 250 for a while and I don't want to screw up a competitive average year.

As for the degree, Meh sucks for the younger people but makes it easier for people with a degree in that first 1-2 cycles it is implimeted like simpsons said :D

But I really hope they don't drop the 2 year competitive avg unless its to make it a degree GPA average.. if they change it to all years im screwed.

Archived