Premed 101 Forums

Changes for Next Year

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I agree with all of you. I guess it is too early right now to be making predictions about what exact changes will be implemented.

Unfortunately for me, I put too many eggs into the U of S med basket by working towards my Sask residency and all. So, I would be happy about the degree requirement but I really hope they do not look at all years. Wouldn't it be too big of a change for IP candidates? (considering that these are the ones the U of S wants to keep?!)

Guys,

Do any of you think Dr. Barry reads the pre-med forum? Would his actions stem from some of the comments we write?? The reason I am asking is... if most of you don't recall... I had a major argument with simpsons about 'easy' degrees and people boosting their marks... then in the following year changes were suggested... or the opposite could be true... I AM DR. BARRY ZIOLA!

• 1 month later...
So I talked to Sherrill last week and with the new changes that may or may not be approved would be a cumulative 4 year average for in province people of that degree.

Please expand? I didn't quite understand...so they might "not" bring in the new changes... thats BS... I was hoping more preference would be given... especially for upper years...

You would think that a proposed change of using cumulative average instead of best two for IP applicants would specifically be mentioned on the website, in addition to what is currently there (i.e. the change to a 4-year degree requirement yet to be voted on). That's a significant change in how applicants would be considered, and would presumably affect a lot of people.

You would think that a proposed change of using cumulative average instead of best two for IP applicants would specifically be mentioned on the website, in addition to what is currently there (i.e. the change to a 4-year degree requirement yet to be voted on). That's a significant change in how applicants would be considered, and would presumably affect a lot of people.

Im thinking it will be cumulative average... not just two years... CoM has a very 'inadequate/poor' method of communication... as opposed to other universities...

Because it isn't official yet!!!!! That's why its not posted.... This is what Sherrill told me whom is the admissions adviser for medicine... sooooo talk to her then... I didn't just make that up.

Personally, despite having a downward average trend, i would welcome the idea. It is ridiculously easy to get very high marks taking junior/bird courses in 2 years. Now being in 3rd year, i find it a lot more challenging to "cheat" the system haha. Either way, they should definitely be more open about posting this info on the website.

BTW, despite all your random trolling David, this has turned out to be one of the most useful threads here.

If they're trying to get in line with what other med schools are doing, then a degree requirement might be enough of a change in itself. Do that many other schools still look at all four years though? It seems that most have been shifting towards letting you at least drop one (or a certain number of credits a la U of T), acknowledging that you might have had an off-year. Maybe they'll shift to looking at last-two instead of best two. That would work for me!

Also, I know I'm asking for it, but I have to know- 007, what's with the punctuation?...

If they're trying to get in line with what other med schools are doing, then a degree requirement might be enough of a change in itself. Do that many other schools still look at all four years though? It seems that most have been shifting towards letting you at least drop one (or a certain number of credits a la U of T), acknowledging that you might have had an off-year. Maybe they'll shift to looking at last-two instead of best two. That would work for me!

Also, I know I'm asking for it, but I have to know- 007, what's with the punctuation?...

I am a nobody, just like every other person in this world. Everyone with a purpose; that collectively has an impact... but individually is insignificant. Hope that explains the '007'

It is confirmed: changes requiring degree are coming after two years from now and it would be announced this summer on their website...

Not approved yet... as well... what do they mean by degree requirement? (3 year or 4 year) How is the new GPA calculated? (best of two years or 3/4 years)...

It is confirmed: changes requiring degree are coming after two years from now and it would be announced this summer on their website...

I wonder if not putting this rule into place for at least 2 years is part of UofS's effort to not go further into their deficits. I am not sure how many of you are UofS students, but we got this message from the president of our university a few days ago:

"There has been a tremendous amount of comment over the past few days about the financial state of the University of Saskatchewan and about our plans to address a significant deficit that we project will reach $44.5 million by 2016."

I am still interested in knowing how you know some of the inside scoop :)

The 4 year degree makes sense. I think it is fair to expect students to at least have an Honours degree before they start Medicine. I guess most of us are concerned about whether they will require a 4 year cGPA for entry or keep their 2 best years requirement.

Archived