Premed 101 Forums

Changes for Next Year

Personally I think that this is a great change, and much needed. I had no idea that so many people were essentially gaming the system and even changing degrees to justify taking more 100-level courses to get a good two years. Hopefully this will even the playing field for those of us who worked towards normal four year degree programs.

Also, it seems that cGPA will now be used instead of best two.

ed: These changes won't affect anyone applying this coming fall, but will be in place for those applying in 2014.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really its accepted? Wow... there go the applicants... applying to other universities... Is it a 4 year degree requirement or can an applicant apply with a 4 year degree? I believe every applicant is required to have a 3 year degree... as the marking system wont be consistent... any comments? I guess the old generation has a much better shot... I LOVE YOU DR. ZIOLA!

Anyone care to speculate as to how these changes might affect the admission stats? It used to be relatively straightforward to see how competitive you were based on past years GPA:MMI scores, but this will likely change a) the number of applicants and B) the competitive average.

I'm guessing/hoping that I'm not the only one whose cGPA is a bit lower than their best two, but what do you think the new bar for interview invites will be set at? Same as previous years (~82-83%) or maybe down to the ~78% cutoff that's currently needed to apply?

I know that all this is guesswork, but I'm very curious...

Well for the new OOP requirements which were just instituted for this cycle, they have moved to a cGPA requirement for your whole degree. I would assume they're going to be moving towards applying this same standard to their IP applicants.

UofS hasn't been known to be very friendly to OOP applicants, so to make a change to the cGPA system wasn't as big of an issue.

But to change it to a cGPA system for IPs on top of a 4-year degree requirement is probably going to create an uproar due to far too many applicants lost. Guess we just won't know until they post the details.

Mark my words (I know that won't carry much weight since you don't know me, but hey), it'll be cGPA for 2014 admissions cycle. Realistically though, if ppl on this thread (myself included) are any indication, the competitive average will just end up being a bit lower since cGPA will generally be lower. So this might not be as scary a change as it seems!

“We found students were hopping from college to college, even though they’re supposed to be progressing toward a degree,” Ziola said. “We had one applicant last year, who, we just simply refused to accept the application because they had done one year in one college, one year in another college, and one year in another college and they wanted us to take the best two years and say, ‘Now we’re good to go.’”

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Medical+school+moves+change+entrance+requirements+stop+games/7906409/story.html#ixzz2Jn1BG4vp

Seems like they were just pissed off at people not following a degree path. I think a cGPA requirement will be too radical a change. They seem to be getting much opposition from this simple one alone. Even if it were to be placed, it would probably be after 2014-2015 admissions. Otherwise, it would have been announced alongside. Additionally, while the averages will go down with the use of cGPA, on the flip side, its rather hard to dent a well established two year average. People who came into university without gunning for med are clearly disadvantaged.

P.S: Talk about gaming the system; that applicant in the article is insane.

...it'll be cGPA for 2014 admissions cycle.

By 2014 admissions cycle, you mean this upcoming one (2014 entry)?

“Seems like they were just pissed off at people not following a degree path. I think a cGPA requirement will be too radical a change. They seem to be getting much opposition from this simple one alone. Even if it were to be placed, it would probably be after 2014-2015 admissions. Otherwise, it would have been announced alongside.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like they are trying to make it as smooth of a transition as possible, so I am hoping that it won't affect the upcoming cycle. I agree that they would've probably indicated the cGPA aspect.

With regard to not mentioning the GPA change, if you think about it, it makes sense from a public interest perspective. This became a news story because of the significant change in what will be the average age and academic background of future medical students. This, the residents of Saskatchewan care about, because they perceive it to be something that will affect the abilities (whether this is true or not is beside the point) of the province's future doctors. What the public at large does not, however, care about are details like how an applicants GPA is calculated. Thus, why it wasn't mentioned in any of the news coverage.

Also- there does seem to be confusion over when these changes will take effect. It looks as if the current requirements will still be in place for those applying this fall of 2013, for entrance in 2014, but that the changes will affect those applying in subsequent years.

This is interesting to me as I too will be IP for Sask next year. I think my cGPA is about 80% or just under, due to a couple of really bad years in the late 90's. My best 2? 90-ish. ECs are consistently scored high. I have 2 degrees already.

You have a good shot monkey boy... with a 90% average you are well set on the road of becoming a doctor...

For anyone who's curious the website has now been updated, and as I said earlier, the current admissions requirements stay in place for the fall 2013 applications cycle. For those applying in 2014, you'll need a four year degree.

Does the degree need to be completed before applying? Or if you apply in your 4th year of that degree does that count?

Thanks!

Archived