Premed 101 Forums

Chances of success in CaRMS this fall

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone on these boards who have had success matching into family medicine as an IMG, or know of anyone who have successfully matched, could let me know how I stack up as a potential applicant for the 2013 match.

I just graduated this month with my medical degree from the UK. I wrote the EE in May and scored 367 (>95th percentile from what I saw on the MCC site). I've done 3 Canadian electives (1 internal med, 2 fm) and 3 docs agreed to write LORs. I haven't, however, done much research or have anything published. I'm originally from Toronto.

thanks

The percentiles for MCCEE are a bit misleading because a lot of people take the EE who are completely unprepared thus bringing the average down. The average EE score for interviewed applicants is probably in the mid 300 range (Ontario FM would not look at applications with an EE score less than i believe 318? last year), so basically you are right where you need to be with your score to be competitive.

It's still going to be a crapshoot, but sounds like you've taken all the appropriate steps to maximize your chances. What are you applying for?

We may never know what the "published" average is however I do not know anyone who interviewed in Ontario in 2012 with less than 350 if they were applying in their final year of medical school or as a recent graduate and only required the MCCEE. FM in Ontario has very hard score cutoffs based on the results of the over 1700 applicants.

The percentiles for MCCEE are a bit misleading because a lot of people take the EE who are completely unprepared thus bringing the average down. The average EE score for interviewed applicants is probably in the mid 300 range (Ontario FM would not look at applications with an EE score less than i believe 318? last year), so basically you are right where you need to be with your score to be competitive.

It's still going to be a crapshoot, but sounds like you've taken all the appropriate steps to maximize your chances. What are you applying for?

I'm applying for Ontario FM, as well as other out of province FM programs. I was considering applying to IM, but having looked at the stats, FM looks the best bet for returning. I'm not bothering with ERAS, I've decided if I don't make it, I'll prob pursue IM here in the UK (dual citizen)

Are you entering the 2013 match as well?

We may never know what the "published" average is however I do not know anyone who interviewed in Ontario in 2012 with less than 350 if they were applying in their final year of medical school or as a recent graduate and only required the MCCEE. FM in Ontario has very hard score cutoffs based on the results of the over 1700 applicants.

lol i wouldn't be surprised if the cut off is even higher than that for this year's match given the 2013 grad year of CSAs looks massive compared to previous years in that CSA report done by CaRMS a couple of years back.

I'm applying for Ontario FM, as well as other out of province FM programs. I was considering applying to IM, but having looked at the stats, FM looks the best bet for returning. I'm not bothering with ERAS, I've decided if I don't make it, I'll prob pursue IM here in the UK (dual citizen)

Are you entering the 2013 match as well?

Yeah, I will be applying to both CaRMS and NRMP. I will apply for IM and probably also FM, and I'm happy matching in either field.

• 2 months later...

AMGs do not have to take the MCCEE so that doesn't apply to them.

CaRMS is now up to date on info for most programs. Of note, they stated the average MCCEE score for interviewed applicants last year was 424 for the joint Ontario Family Medicine application. So that is around the score you will need to be aiming for to be competitive for an interview, if not higher.

• 1 month later...

Really hard to say...obviously the EE score is only one part of the application so if you have a strong application elsewhere (LORs, grades, publications , awards, EC activities etc) then you might have a shot? Also the worst they can do is not invite you, the only drawback is the cost of applying although it does get pretty pricey. Wish i could provide you with better answers.

Archived