Premed 101 Forums

Please advise on course selection

Hi guys,

found out today that i can't take anatomy 3319 due to missing cell biology 2382 prerequisite. i called the department office and they refused to give me sp permission

i have a few choices at this point, please advise me on what i should take instead!

note: im aiming for 90's, i dont care what i have to take 2 get it!

CHOICE A: Biochem 3381a + Biochem 3382b

- heard that they are both really hard

CHOICE B: Pharmacology 3620 (got sp permission for this)

- only 2 lecture hours a week

- no textbook

- no december midterm!

- seems high volume

CHOICE C: Medical Biophysics 3501f + Pharm 2060b

- medical biophysics is apparently a very easy course... apparently 90% of everyone thought they would get an A last year

- pharm 2nd year would be easier than pharm 3rd year

- BIG DISADVANTAGE: i will only be taking 2.5/5 3rd year courses in my 3rd year, this might look bad at U of T

CHOICE D: Histology (ACB) 3309

- Labs every week + lab tests... it's like you're studying for 2 courses!

CHOICE D.

3309 and 3319 are both very simple and easy to get 90's in. go to class, memorize things and ace exams. Labs are more like tutorials that aim to help you do well in class.

Cheers.

I took 3319 and not 3309 but I have only heard good things from 3309.

i heard there are bell-ringers where they bring around laboratory slides and you only have a minute to say what they are!

i've also heard that you should 3381 and 3382 if possible.

i took 3620 and enjoyed it, but wouldn't say it's a bird; whereas i have heard that some biophysics courses are. i only put that qualifier in there because i'm not sure whether or not the one you listed is one of them, although the way you describe it makes me think that it is. i don't know much about pharm 2060. and, i want to avoid talking out of my arse, so i'll stop wrt that.

i've heard both things about histo: "it's ridiculously easy" and "i have friends who've taken it and they all said it was kinda hard". oh the trials and tribulations of anecdotal evidence.... lolz.

but that's a fitting last note: take this with a grain of salt.

Hi guys,

found out today that i can't take anatomy 3319 due to missing cell biology 2382 prerequisite. i called the department office and they refused to give me sp permission

i have a few choices at this point, please advise me on what i should take instead!

note: im aiming for 90's, i dont care what i have to take 2 get it!

CHOICE A: Biochem 3381a + Biochem 3382b

- heard that they are both really hard

CHOICE B: Pharmacology 3620 (got sp permission for this)

- only 2 lecture hours a week

- no textbook

- no december midterm!

- seems high volume

CHOICE C: Medical Biophysics 3501f + Pharm 2060b

- medical biophysics is apparently a very easy course... apparently 90% of everyone thought they would get an A last year

- pharm 2nd year would be easier than pharm 3rd year

- BIG DISADVANTAGE: i will only be taking 2.5/5 3rd year courses in my 3rd year, this might look bad at U of T

CHOICE D: Histology (ACB) 3309

- Labs every week + lab tests... it's like you're studying for 2 courses!

do you know who is teaching Pharmacology 3620 this year?

i heard there are bell-ringers where they bring around laboratory slides and you only have a minute to say what they are!

Nope! The lab is actually really chill. You have an assignment each week that consists of some drawing and answering questions but are really easy. The TAs themselves say it's basically impossible not to get perfect in that section of the course especially because at the end of each semester they give you the option of doing an extra assignment for bonus marks in case you messed up a few of the assignments. Most people in the class by the 3rd lab didn't even bother getting their microscopes out and just used either the online slide box or their textbook. The lab is 3 hours but the people at my bench finished their assignments in normally an hour. The only time it took longer was if the prelab talk was on the longer side or it was a week with a lab quiz.

Archived