Premed 101 Forums

Do we need sex in order to live a fulfilled life?

ciel999

Do we need sex to live a fulfilled life?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need sex to live a fulfilled life?

• Yes
    • No

Think about it - if we were to live our lives devoted to doing things that we truly love, would we still need sex in order to be happy in life?

Personally, I think the ultimate purpose of sex is for procreation. And that's it.

But if I could live anywhere I want and do whatever I love every single day, I won't even need to get married, have sex, and have a family just to live what society deems a "fulfilled" life. Feel free to call me selfish, but that's just my own opinion.

I think it's impossible to have a job or activity that we love so much that it can substitute other aspects of life. We can like that said job/activity most of the time (if we're lucky) but it cant be the absolute answer to happiness. you lose the spark at some point

Whoever said that money doesn't buy happiness is a f*cking liar.

You can be happy without money just like you can be miserable with tons of money. All depends on who you are, how you manage life, and what kind of circumstances you deal with daily.

I am very, very happily married to an incredible guy. My husband is wonderful, I completely adore him and am so ridiculously happy to be married to him. Our sixth anniversary is next month, and we have two kids (one with special needs) so it's not like everything has been smooth sailing. We're happy in the face of our challenges. The best moments I've had in life have been with him, and most of them are just simple everyday stuff, with a few incredible times (like the births of our kids) thrown into the mix.

There have been some truly crappy moments, some incredibly hard times. Statistically speaking, we have a very high chance of being divorced within the next few years. While I consider that highly unlikely for us since we have a very strong marriage, were it to happen, it wouldn't invalidate our entire marriage.

It wouldn't erase all these incredibly happy moments.

It seems foolish, to me, to avoid living because of a fear of being hurt. Because life hurts. Horribly, at times. But to avoid entire facets of life for fear of what it may eventually cost you isn't, in my opinion, any way to live.

Still, how one chooses to live is entirely up to them, provided they aren't harming anyone else by their choices. I would be sad for anyone, though, who would give up on the possibility of romantic relationships simply because they want to avoid being hurt. It's a lot to give up on. I wouldn't give up these years for anything, no matter what happens down the line.

I guess I seek for pure happiness. But it's so so hard!

I don't have the answers. My sister-in-law never married or had kids because she never wanted to, and she's extremely happy having made that choice (she's in her mid 40s now.) She has relationships, but just doesn't wish to marry. I would not have been, that much I can say. Everyone is happy with different things.

There's no one size fits all solution to happiness. Life is what you make it.

But I don't really want to get too tied up with my relationships with other living things. Because those things can one day betray me. I may marry the man who I fall inlove with, and we could be really happy together for years. But who knows? He could betray me one day by leaving me for another girl. And vice versa. That would be really upsetting because then, I would have already invested much of my time, energy, and effort into the relationship. The same thing goes for my relationships with my friends and my family - even my dog.

Books, careers, and hobbies on the other hand, can never betray you. Because those things never change. For example, I can read a book and learn lots of things from it. 50 years later, I can open the exact same book, and the content will still be the same. The book will never betray me. Same with career.

And the thing you said about losing spark at some point, yes, that happens. But then I can move on to something else or find another activity I like. I've been playing guitar for almost 10 years. Even though I may get tired with songs I've fallen inlove with and played for a really long time, I still haven't lost my passion for guitar, yet. There are still new covers for me to learn. And new techniques too. But if I ever lost my passion for guitar one of these days, I'll leave it behind and move on to something else. The guitar won't get offended by my betrayal, because it doesn't have feelings.

2 things:

1. Jeez, who hurt you? Fantasizing about such extreme lengths to avoid being hurt

2. Guitar player troll, that turns out to be female, I think we're meant to be

mmm, theoretically… ppl on ssri's don't want sex a lot, n they're pretty satisfied… personally, i think sex is pretty cool, you sound like someone on **** ton of desoxyn tbh

Think about it - if we were to live our lives devoted to doing things that we truly love, would we still need sex in order to be happy in life?

Personally, I think the ultimate purpose of sex is for procreation. And that's it.

But if I could live anywhere I want and do whatever I love every single day, I won't even need to get married, have sex, and have a family just to live what society deems a "fulfilled" life. Feel free to call me selfish, but that's just my own opinion.

lol, that's what makes some relationships so special… the fact that you fear losing someone you "love" exemplifies you just fear pain more than someone you can give all of yourself too… personally, i think the latter is abetter life.. but ya know, no risk, no reward :)

But I don't really want to get too tied up with my relationships with other living things. Because those things can one day betray me. I may marry the man who I fall inlove with, and we could be really happy together for years. But who knows? He could betray me one day by leaving me for another girl. And vice versa. That would be really upsetting because then, I would have already invested much of my time, energy, and effort into the relationship. The same thing goes for my relationships with my friends an my family - even my dog.

jean paul sarte would disagree ;)

If I don't have enough money to buy food or get a shelter, I'll be desperate.

If I don't have enough money to do what I want or live where I want, I won't have much freedom. Happiness is freedom. And once you have a family, you have to make compromises. That isn't really freedom.

i love the only smoke pot… plus maybe some lidocaine, pcp, lol whatever it's laced with, pot ruined my pharm buddies life in his last semester… pcp just wasn't that sexy… plus why wan't a ****ty memory… smoking it is like taking a valium… i seriously don't get pot heads

I don't do any of those drugs. I only smoke pot. I like to keep it simple like that.

im more of a DMT person

Have you tried it before? It's the best thing ever! It makes me feel relaxed during these stressful times of preparing for the MCAT, competing to get into medical school, etc. Also, without it, I wouldn't be as creative as I am now.

By the way, if so many people are against pot...to the point of making it illegal, why do they still idolize Bob Marley??? I seriously don't get it.

The people who want pot to be illegal tend to not be fans of Bob Marley. Pot heads idolize Bob Marley

why r we so insistent on dna polymerase rxn when we hate lsd... mullis invented it high... lol, just stop talking now please...

By the way, if so many people are against pot...to the point of making it illegal, why do they still idolize Bob Marley??? I seriously don't get it.

In my honest opinion, this sounds like a sh*tty life you have here. But that's only my opinion. To each his own.

I find it interesting that you'd think I have a crappy life, when I'd posted about how happy I am with it. :P It's not perfect, but it is pretty awesome for me.

Any career, really.

But I really should elaborate further on the career part.

Yes, careers do in some way "betray" us. But that's only depending on how you look at it. We could get laid off at some point, our exact job/roles may change, etc. But the knowledge and experiences you get from your career sticks with you for life. Plus, you get to make money to further fulfill your passions.

Whoever said that money doesn't buy happiness is a f*cking liar.

If you have some severe illness, then it wouldn't matter how rich you are you will still be unhappy.

If you have some severe illness, then it wouldn't matter how rich you are you will still be unhappy.

Clearly you've never spent time with handicapped people. I spent a great deal of time in my youth around mentally and physically handicapped people and to this day they remain some of the happiest people I've ever known.

Archived