Premed 101 Forums

Going into third year and med chances

Locke

This isn't exactly a "what are my chances thread" but rather close.

I have been reading some threads on the forums here and they don't seem to paint too rosy of a picture. Furthermore, I have posted a similar thread earlier but I don't feel my question was answered to my full satisfaction.

I have a cGPA of 3.27 (first year 3.0, and second 3.85) going into 3rd year. I was wondering what my options are: would it be best for me to do a 5th year? Or a second undergrad? Is it possible for me to bring my GPA to within competitive range for Canadian medical schools, supposing a get 4.0 in 3rd and 4th years?

Responses would be appreciated.

EDIT: I think it is reasonable to add that I did not do a full course load in 2nd year. Does this alter my chances?

Assuming you had full course load in your first 2 years, try maintaining your second year GPA (if you can aim for 3.85+ though) and your chances of getting interviews are pretty good (given competitive MCAT and ECs for med schools that look at such things). Make sure you have full course load in the next 2 years as well.

You probably won't need a 5th year or second degree if you follow my suggestion above.

Good luck.

Think about this: most schools have a way of calculating your GPA so that a lowsy year would not affect your chances too much. For UWO and Queens, one takes your best 2 yrs one takes your last 2 yrs (forgot which is which); U of T takes 3 full credits off if you do full time for 3 yrs before you apply; UBC now also have similar calculation if you meet a certain credit level before application. Other schools I didn't look into.

So from your stats it seems like it is your first yr that dragged you. Your second yr mark is good, but if you can pull it up more that would be great. So assuming you have been on full course load for first and 2nd yr, if you do well in 3rd yr then like Legion said a 5th yr is prob not necessary and a second degree is def not necessary at this point.

So depends on how well your third yr is, a 5th yr may or may not be necessary.

Think about this: most schools have a way of calculating your GPA so that a lowsy year would not affect your chances too much. For UWO and Queens, one takes your best 2 yrs one takes your last 2 yrs (forgot which is which); U of T takes 3 full credits off if you do full time for 3 yrs before you apply; UBC now also have similar calculation if you meet a certain credit level before application. Other schools I didn't look into.

So from your stats it seems like it is your first yr that dragged you. Your second yr mark is good, but if you can pull it up more that would be great. So assuming you have been on full course load for first and 2nd yr, if you do well in 3rd yr then like Legion said a 5th yr is prob not necessary and a second degree is def not necessary at this point.

So depends on how well your third yr is, a 5th yr may or may not be necessary.

Best 2 years = UWO, last 2 = Queens.

Best 2 years = UWO' date=' last 2 = Queens.[/quote']

I was under the impression that Queens was also best 2 years?

I was also wondering, I got a research position lined up for september (I don't have any previous research experience so this opportunity is my first) but would it be better to focus on academics?

Finally, I was wondering how much my chances would be altered given that I did not do a full course load in 2nd year?

To your academics question: I think many medical professionals do both at some point of their careers - after all research and practice are related and I think it can do no harm to have experience in both. As you are just starting out it seems wise not to make to concrete plans for the future as your focus might change in the course of time. However, a good and promising branch is molecular biology, as many companies like this here are involved and offer good job and research opportunities. Let it happen, once you get started somewhere, you will get the grip.

Good Luck!

I was under the impression that Queens was also best 2 years?

I was also wondering, I got a research position lined up for september (I don't have any previous research experience so this opportunity is my first) but would it be better to focus on academics?

Finally, I was wondering how much my chances would be altered given that I did not do a full course load in 2nd year?

You won't be eligible for UTs weighting formula. Also, your 2nd year will not count towards Western's "best 2 years" policy. Western only uses marks from years that you did a full course load in. However, I believe you'll still be eligible for Queen's "last two years" policy. It would be great if someone could confirm that.

Archived