Premed 101 Forums

What must I do.

thechemist

I got all A's in m undergrad, did my PhD in Chemistry at McGill, and am now post-docing at Harvard Medical School with a Nobel laureate. I've got a bunch publications in good journals and up until recently I wanted to be a professor. Well, that's not going to happen because of this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-pushes-for-more-scientists-but-the-jobs-arent-there/2012/07/07/gJQAZJpQUW_story.html

So, it's time for med-school.

What I need from this forum is the knowledge of how to augment my CV for the application. Basically, what are they looking for and how can I be that? Ie. should I start volunteering or something?

I not going to write the MCAT, which is why I am thinking McGill, also I'm a Quebec resident

How about the French universities, how good must my French be? Right now, I can speak French like I'm 4.

Anywho, thanks for the advice.

Well, I'm sure you are fully aware that you have some good stats.

Thinking about CV highlights, you need 3 things. Those can't all be chemistry.

Have you done anything social/health related? Sports? Volunteered ever?

You should definitely consider volunteering.

You also can't seem too much like "I'm a great scientist but I want a secure job and I've heard med pays well so let me in! I'm smart". Do whatever you need to look like you are meaningfully exploring what its like to be a doctor and work with people.

Try something hands on. Nursing homes are always looking for people to volunteer with the elderly. You can also do some teaching/tutoring.

I wouldn't bother with the French schools if your french isn't strong. Mine isn't as bad as what you are describing and I wouldn't apply. Some people feel differently. I know many anglos who went to French schools but all of them have extremely fluent french. The application information isn't even available in english.

Thanks all for the advice everyone.

As for the MCAT, I would consider writing it but I'm pretty sure that Montreal is the only city that I would consider for med school (I miss Montreal so bad, and it's the only affordable option for me) and the schools in Montreal don't require it. Also, it's been a few years since the material was really fresh for me. Basically, it's more than a massive hassle.

As per how long it's been since the basic requirements... uh, it's been a about 10 years since first year bio. Well, I did my PhD in Chem and now I am in the molecular biology/genetics department here at Harvard, so maybe they would waive everything? =D Fingers crossed.

So, my current lab is in the MGH in Boston (they say it's one of the top American hospitals), so I will try to find some volunteering opportunities here. If not, then I suppose it's time for the old folks.

Thanks again and please keep any relevant advice coming.

Thanks all for the advice everyone.

As for the MCAT, I would consider writing it but I'm pretty sure that Montreal is the only city that I would consider for med school (I miss Montreal so bad, and it's the only affordable option for me) and the schools in Montreal don't require it. Also, it's been a few years since the material was really fresh for me. Basically, it's more than a massive hassle.

As per how long it's been since the basic requirements... uh, it's been a about 10 years since first year bio. Well, I did my PhD in Chem and now I am in the molecular biology/genetics department here at Harvard, so maybe they would waive everything? =D Fingers crossed.

So, my current lab is in the MGH in Boston (they say it's one of the top American hospitals), so I will try to find some volunteering opportunities here. If not, then I suppose it's time for the old folks.

Thanks again and please keep any relevant advice coming.

As much as you say you would only consider doing medical school at McGill, I strongly recommend you to write the MCAT and apply broadly. Even with your stellar stats and awesome Nobel labs and stuff, there is always a possibility that you might not get in. Isn't it always preferable to have a back-up option somewhere else? U of T highly values research. With a line of credit and government loans, medical school is affordable granted you don't blow 50k per year. Also, if you want to come back to Montreal, you can apply for residency at McGill if you do medical school somewhere else.

So, if you are seriously considering medical school, I recommend applying broadly and researching if medical school is really what you want. Also, I would volunteer and have extracurriculars. Volunteering with seniors or as you say "old folks" was extremely rewarding so I wouldn't cross that off.

Contact AED about pre-reqs.

Again they may wave some of the pre-reqs but they don't often wave them all!

You have a few months before applying so you can still do some kind of health-related work/volunteering.

Just email them, explain your situation re: courses.

I don't know if the Harvard connection or the Nobel connection would be sufficient to get them to wave the pre-reqs. Perhaps you could only do the physics? Shouldn't be a problem for you to just hammer them out in two terms.

Archived