Premed 101 Forums

Caribbean schools

hey guys , a distant cousin of mine recently got into a Caribbean school (AUA). He spent 7 years in undergrad and doesn't have a degree to show for it.(his family has money and is willing to pay his way through Caribbean medical school). Basically, i don't think he will be a good doctor, at best he will be arrogant and incompetent and at worst he will be dangerous (mostly due to his arrogance and inability to ask for help or admit ignorance). my question is what are his prospect like for practicing in Canada or America. I know nothing about Caribbean schools and getting residency in N. America. And also how do docs trained in N. America view Caribbean docs?

thanks

You probably shouldn't care either way. It's none of your business.

That being said, the carib is notoriously difficult to come to Canada from. It's generally seen as a below-par education. So if your friend does manage to get back somehow, he's going to be doing one of the CO2 specialties (family, path, psych).

But really, have you seen some of the people that get into domestic med schools? And have you seen some of the docs that come from the carib or foreign lands? Their lack of competence is scary.

i know its not really my business I'm just curious and genuinely concerned for the people he may treat one day. I feel like every single safety net failed and he got in somehow.

You probably shouldn't care either way. It's none of your business.

That being said, the carib is notoriously difficult to come to Canada from. It's generally seen as a below-par education. So if your friend does manage to get back somehow, he's going to be doing one of the CO2 specialties (family, path, psych).

But really, have you seen some of the people that get into domestic med schools? And have you seen some of the docs that come from the carib or foreign lands? Their lack of competence is scary.

Exactly! I just went to a new doctor, and this guy was extremely rude and did not know what he was doing; it was obvious he was only in it for the money and not to help patients! I then asked him where he went for med school, and he said "Ottawa". However, I did not believe him for a second because he did not seem capable of getting into a Canadian med school. As soon as I got home, I Googled his name, and low and behold, he actually did his Med School in Ireland, which I assume is better than the Caribbean but is still foreign.

hey guys , a distant cousin of mine recently got into a Caribbean school (AUA). He spent 7 years in undergrad and doesn't have a degree to show for it.(his family has money and is willing to pay his way through Caribbean medical school). Basically, i don't think he will be a good doctor, at best he will be arrogant and incompetent and at worst he will be dangerous (mostly due to his arrogance and inability to ask for help or admit ignorance). my question is what are his prospect like for practicing in Canada or America. I know nothing about Caribbean schools and getting residency in N. America. And also how do docs trained in N. America view Caribbean docs?

thanks

If people want to waste tons of money and years of their life studying something they wont enjoy and have a strong desire to be miserable, who are we to deny them such pleasure :P

If people want to waste tons of money and years of their life studying something they wont enjoy and have a strong desire to be miserable, who are we to deny them such pleasure :P

lol but he will be treating humans, that the problem i have with these backdoors into medicine

Exactly! I just went to a new doctor, and this guy was extremely rude and did not know what he was doing; it was obvious he was only in it for the money and not to help patients! I then asked him where he went for med school, and he said "Ottawa". However, I did not believe him for a second because he did not seem capable of getting into a Canadian med school. As soon as I got home, I Googled his name, and low and behold, he actually did his Med School in Ireland, which I assume is better than the Caribbean but is still foreign.

Thats hilarious and sad concurrently that he lied to your face about where he went to medical school. I guess he knows the stigma associated with foreign med schools however so much for patient-provider trust when you MD lies to you about their credentials.

Beef

some caribbean trained doctors are good, some aren't… my doc is proud of going to british-iris med school, then again, not born in canada… but ya, sais its too easy here

Thats hilarious and sad concurrently that he lied to your face about where he went to medical school. I guess he knows the stigma associated with foreign med schools however so much for patient-provider trust when you MD lies to you about their credentials.

Beef

Wow. That's tarded, like in the movie idiocracy.

There is a subsection on this site devoted exclusively to international schools, so this question might be better suited to that section. Honestly, I don't know your cousin personally, so maybe they are ill suited to becoming a doctor and there are certainly people like that that go to international schools who want to be doctors only because they want the money or the prestige. However, for every person like that that goes there, there is someone who just got unlucky or screwed over by the process of admissions in Canada and would probably make a good doctor. Just like there are people who are going to school in Canada who will wind up being bad doctors. I know a lot of people going to school internationally, and for most of them it was just that they didn't want to wait through multiple application cycles until they got lucky. Looking at Dalhousie, since that is my school of choice, only 25% of the application is academics, the rest is far more subjective and not knowing how to present your extracurriculars and your interview answers can make a huge difference, although it generally does not indicate your capability as a physician.

There's a decent chance he come back to Canada for family medicine (assuming that school is properly accredited), though it will likely be in a non-competitive geographic location and it will have an return of service agreement attached to it.

Regrading IMGs - there are tons of international schools that are as good as or better than Canadian schools. Australia and Europe match a good number of students in round 2, there just aren't that many spots reserved outside of FM and IM.

There's a decent chance he come back to Canada for family medicine (assuming that school is properly accredited), though it will likely be in a non-competitive geographic location and it will have an return of service agreement attached to it.

Define decent :P

I always thought people who go to Caribbean Med schools are the ones that really want to become a doctor, and not just for the money. Because think about it, you can't be that stupid to spend ~200k to go to Caribbean just because you want to be a doctor for the money, knowing how slim your chances are to match in Canada. Or maybe you can be that stupid :D

I always thought people who go to Caribbean Med schools are the ones that really want to become a doctor, and not just for the money. Because think about it, you can't be that stupid to spend ~200k to go to Caribbean just because you want to be a doctor for the money, knowing how slim your chances are to match in Canada. Or maybe you can be that stupid :D

Most of them practice in the US. They do rotations in the US. People I know that went to the caribbean have no intention of coming back to canada. And they went there because they weren't good enough applicants for canadian schools.

About 1/3 of Caribbean applicants matched last year.

I don't think there's data on where they matched but about half of the IMG spots in Canada are for FM and if you add IM and Psych its about 2/3 of the spots, and that becomes more pronounced when you look at the second iteration stats.

Those IMG stats from the Carib are (I would guess) mostly Canadians trying to come home but could also include international or US-born applicants, meaning they're probably a bit better for Canadian-born applicants.

So its reasonable to say that you've got a 1 in 3 ish chance of matching back to Canada for something like FM and to a lesser extent IM and Psych.

definately, canada just has competitive admission bc of cheap prices... wanna go to harvard, just get into u of t, ditto...

Regrading IMGs - there are tons of international schools that are as good as or better than Canadian schools. Australia and Europe match a good number of students in round 2, there just aren't that many spots reserved outside of FM and IM.

the img's who get systemically ****ed are the foreign borns, canadian born ones have it ok...

About 1/3 of Caribbean applicants matched last year.

I don't think there's data on where they matched but about half of the IMG spots in Canada are for FM and if you add IM and Psych its about 2/3 of the spots, and that becomes more pronounced when you look at the second iteration stats.

Those IMG stats from the Carib are (I would guess) mostly Canadians trying to come home but could also include international or US-born applicants, meaning they're probably a bit better for Canadian-born applicants.

thanks

He stands no chance of getting into Canadian residency, chances are already low, so imagine how it would be for an F tard like him.

In some Caribbean schools, the first year attrition rate is high (50% at Ross), so someone like him wouldn't be kicked out after first year.

Archived