Premed 101 Forums

Keep32

Yep this is gonna be huge.

There was another drug a few months ago too.

We need to have a good discussion.

What do people think will happen to dentistry?

What percentage of dental jobs are reliant on dental cavities? What percentage of those cavities are based on S. Mutans? What percentage of patients regularly brush their teeth?

Let's get the discussion going people. Thanks.

What percentage of dental jobs are reliant on dental cavities? What percentage of those cavities are based on S. Mutans? What percentage of patients regularly brush their teeth?

"Tank-ing / Gunning" for Ortho! :D

I don't get this. Doesn't every single tooth paste company already advertise that their products kill 99% of bacteria?

I too hate it when researchers just tell media something, without any proper scientific article.

If you read all the articles online, you'll find that they all came from the same source. Some even copied words.

Funny though they say this thing is going to put Dentists out of work, yet the "Keep 32" only kills bacteria for a few hours....

I highly doubt P and G will use this. The first company to risk going out of business is P and G itself. Specially if it's try effective, and it could eradicate the bacteria completely. And that's just P and G. Imagine all the dental industry. The companies that make dental filling composites, the dentists, the dental assistants, etc. all can lose jobs.

But then we got the nice feature of our universe named Natural Selection that makes these products kinda useless in the long run. Wait a few months and another bacteria even worse than S. Mutans will take over.

And we don't even know the side effect of this drug itself.

Those are my thoughts. Please share yours, but be honest and unbiased.

I personally think this is the key point. Those who brush their teeth regularly do not have cavity regardless of this keep32 treatment, and vice versa.

You know what kills streptococcus mutans?

Fluoride.

It's in your water, it's in your toothpaste.

The problem isn't killing bacteria; we've been doing that for decades. The problem is keeping it from coming back. As long as we eat food, we'll have bacteria, we'll have tooth decay.

Even if this is added to toothpastes in addition to or as a substitute for fluoride, the issue isn't whether or not people put it on their teeth once or twice, it's whether or not they actually brush and floss regularly.

You know what kills streptococcus mutans?

Fluoride.

It's in your water, it's in your toothpaste.

The problem isn't killing bacteria; we've been doing that for decades. The problem is keeping it from coming back. As long as we eat food, we'll have bacteria, we'll have tooth decay.

Even if this is added to toothpastes in addition to or as a substitute for fluoride, the issue isn't whether or not people put it on their teeth once or twice, it's whether or not they actually brush and floss regularly.

Very good point. We need to investigate the percentage of people who regularly brush/floss...

Very good point. We need to investigate the percentage of people who regularly brush/floss...

Lol. We'll give you the honor of making a poll on this :D

Chances are they are just hyping the drug. There is always news like this for Alzheimer's . Yet we have not even come close to understanding it. Not the same thing but you get the idea :P

not gonna happen lol...you guys who have already done microbiology or will be doing it in DDS1 will realize that biofilm constitutes not one but a number of competitive species..granted that S.mutans is the major one, any change in the envt resulting from loss of such a big species will lead to more resources available for others...other species will advantage off of this and will thrive.

Lol. We'll give you the honor of making a poll on this :D

Chances are they are just hyping the drug. There is always news like this for Alzheimer's . Yet we have not even come close to understanding it. Not the same thing but you get the idea :P

Hahaha... will do in time :D

not gonna happen lol...you guys who have already done microbiology or will be doing it in DDS1 will realize that biofilm constitutes not one but a number of competitive species..granted that S.mutans is the major one, any change in the envt resulting from loss of such a big species will lead to more resources available for others...other species will advantage off of this and will thrive.

Yeah I was talking to my father about this. We have numerous bacteria that can take over in biofilms. From newly mutated S. mutans to S. sobrinus to others.

Loss of one species will open doors to others, and potentially worsen the situation.

On top of that we don't know the half-life of this new drug, it's efficacy and its side effects.

Say we have the drug that kills S. mutans perfectly. The question will be how does it act on good bacteria in the intestine. How will it act on the cells in the gastrointestinal tract and even the body.

On top of that, how many people will benefit from it. We already have great preventative products such as tooth pastes, fluoridated water, mouth washes, and etc, yet dental cavities are still common.

Say Keep 32 is the best drug possible, are tooth paste companies going to risk their own business to produce this thing? I mean if this drug is really efficient, soon enough S. mutans can be eradicated, and some people may stop using mouth washes. Now, that my friends, is financial loss to the same company that endorses keep 32 and makes tooth pastes, mouth washes, and tooth brushes.

The reality is, no drug is perfect. Even if it is, our bodies are not, so reactions to drugs are never perfect.

Archived