Premed 101 Forums

Content Questions

tms

Chemistry:

I am confused about Zeff and Shielding. I thought as we go from right to left, top to bottom, shielding increases (because of an increase in atomic radius) and Zeff decreases (because the outermost electrons will feel a lower charge/attraction from the protons found in the nucleus).

But in a practice question, it said that going from N to O, Zeff decreases which is opposite to the trend I had memorized. Can someone help clarify the concept?

Thanks

It might be that because Nitrogen has a half-filled p-orbital, it gains some extra stability that decreases shielding and increases Zeff. The same might be true of d-block metals such as Chromium that you would expect to have a configuration [Ar]4s^2 3d^4 but actually have [Ar]4s^1 3d^5 because a half-filled d-orbital confers higher stability.

Somebody should still correct me if I'm wrong!

The effective nuclear charge is equal to the number of an atom's protons subtract its non-valence electrons.

For nitrogen, this is 7-2 = 5.

For oxygen, it is 8-2 = 6.

Oxygen has the higher Zeff so the smaller atomic radius. The amount of shielding is the same in each atom (same # of inner-shell electrons); however, the amount of positive charge that is shielded is different, resulting in different Zeff's.

Thanks CollegeDude!

That is how I was thinking of this question but the solution said that O has a lower Zeff in comparison to N but I don't see how that would be the case.

Also, if Zeff = number of protons - number of non-valence electrons, isn't that essentially the same as the number of valence electrons?

What is the difference between formal charge and oxidation state? I understand that the sum of either of the two if the overall charge on the molecule and oxidation state tells about the relative pull on the electrons.

Let's look at the Nitrogen atom in nitric acid (HNO3)

The formal charge is +1.

FC = Valence - Nonbonding - Bonding/2

FC = 5 - 0 - 8/2 = 1

Conversely, the oxidation state of the nitrogen atom is +5.

Hydrogen has an oxidation state of +1, since it is bonded to a more electronegative element. Oxygen has an oxidation state of -2, since this molecule is not a peroxide. The sum of the oxidation states is equal to the charge.

0 = 1 + N + 3(-2)

N = 5

This highlights the difference between formal charge and oxidation states. The oxidation state reflects unequal sharing of electrons, whereas the formal charge is just a book-keeping device.

Archived