Premed 101 Forums

2012-2013 cycle

Hey Freedom, can you elaborate on what you mean when you say it doesn't take long to fill out? What is the application like? Is there an essay component?

No, U of M takes at most like a couple days to fill out, if you're very meticulous about it. I don't they think typically have an essay component (maybe they'll add one sometime, Idk).

Thanks phoenix!

I just want to be prepared for the application, as I'll be back in school by then and need to be able to divide my time between apps and studying.

No problem :)

I'd focus most of your time on OMSAS, then if you need to use some of that info for other apps it's all right there (I made a word document with every individual piece so I could have a copy for later).

• 2 weeks later...
^Wow. Anyone have any guesses what the kind of MCAT score OOP applicants will need to land an interview with this change? I think it will be kind of insane....

I would imagine that it wouldn't change by very much as they will still need to interview a similar number of OOP students. Otherwise, it may difficult to fill up all the spots even if reduced.

there has been concerns that OOP students aren't staying in the province after graduation, thus why the decrease (Esp. since tuition fees are substantially subsidized in Manitoba - $8k??? :o that's cheaper than some ugrad programs)

Filling out the U of M application is less involved than applying to Tim Hortons. I'm pretty sure I did it (including checking over extensively) in under an hour.

lol that's actually true...

but then u realize that med school applications became so elaborate over the past couple of decades,

apparently in the 70s, it was harder to get into physiotherapy than medicine (in Toronto)

I would imagine that it wouldn't change by very much as they will still need to interview a similar number of OOP students. Otherwise, it may difficult to fill up all the spots even if reduced.

Fewer spots for the same amount of applicants...sounds like the average aGPA and MCAT required to get in will increase to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered on this forum somewhere, but a google search could not give me an answer to this question:

What are the eight questions that referees must answer? Does anyone have a copy of the PDF that referees are given just so I have a heads-up on who I should ask?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered on this forum somewhere, but a google search could not give me an answer to this question:

What are the eight questions that referees must answer? Does anyone have a copy of the PDF that referees are given just so I have a heads-up on who I should ask?

Thanks a lot for your help.

They send the questions directly to your referees via email sometime in November. I didn't see them and am not entirely sure of they are, but you don't need to know. The UofM is very good about making sure that everyone is very clear on what needs to get done and when, so if it seems hard to find/figure something out then you usually just have to wait.

My guess is they still interview the same number of OOPs, but accept less (if you look at the class statistics the class is only made up of about 5% OOP students anyways since most accepted turn down the offer). Just a thought. If they increase the GPA and MCAT requirements more for OOP I am SOL. lol

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question...but I'm seriously looking all over Manitoba's website for their faculty of medicine and cannot for the life of me see where the application is! The site states it will open in mid-August so I'm pretty sure it's open. I've been checking back almost daily and cannot find it. Can anyone provide me with a link to open an application?

Thanks!

Edit: Whoops nevermind, just saw this:

"Please check back on this website in late August for Application and other Forms"

Guess it's just a little panic on my part :P

Archived