Premed 101 Forums

For those applying to U.S. Schools

Hey,

On the AADSAS application where they ask for the 'U.S. Visa Status', I am not sure what to select, as I currently do not have an F1 Visa, but will being doing so soon. If I select, 'currently do not have a U.S. Visa', does that affect my application in a negative way?

Additionally, I have graduated from by undergraduate program and received my degree. However, between now and September 2013, I plan on being a continuing student at my university. I will be taking courses, but they will not be associated with my degree. Should I still be inputing them into the Coursework section?

Ive emailed AADSAS admin, but they still havn't gotten back to me. Just wondering if anyone else knew.

Thanks

No it won't affect your application in anyway. You're an international, and will be treated as such in terms of school quota and tuition. Apply to schools who favour canadians and you'll be fine. Once you're accepted the school will help you get your study Visa.

You should include all course work whether it is towards a degree or not. So yes, you should put this down in the coursework section.

You can only get an F1 visa once your school issues you an official I-20 form. And even then, the F1 is only officially conferred at the border when you enter the country. Nothing to worry about now since you have to get accepted first.

Best of luck.

Sorry, just wanted to make a correction. There's a difference between having a visa and having visa status. As Canadian citizens, we don't need an actual F-1 visa (which requires an application in advance at a U.S. consulate)...

This was confusing to me at first, also because Case Western wasn't very clear on it, but for Canadian students wishing to study in the U.S., this is the process:

1. Provide financial information to your school showing that you have ample funds (whether through personal, family or line of credit means) to cover at least the first year of projected school + living costs. (Note, only the first year, not all 4); if you are funding your studies partially or wholly through your parents or family, you will probably have to include an Affidavit of Support (may need to be notarized).

2. Your school will take this and issue you an I-20 form for your duration and programme of study. Take this information, along with your school's codes, and complete Form I-901 and pay your SEVIS fee at https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.jsp.

3. Upon obtaining of both a paper copy of your I-20 form and your SEVIS payment receipt (which you will have to pay to have couriered to you from U.S. Immigrations & Customs Enforcement, take these two documents, along with your acceptance letter and your proof of financial assets (bank statement, line of credit, something that says you have the X number of dollars required to pay for your first year--usually this is the same thing you provided to your school in the first place) to the border when you enter the country (whether by land or air), and the officer there will stamp your passport for F-1 visa status.

Basically you're not looking for a visa--just the status. Citizens of other countries have to jump through a lot more hoops. Getting your I-20 and SEVIS fee paid shouldn't take more than a month.

Hope this helps, and I hope other people manage to find it once December 1st rolls around and this information becomes relevant. :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply.

So basically, on the AADSAS application, when they ask for Visa Status, its perfectly ok for me to just select "currently do not have a visa status", since i wont have a 'status' until I start to hear from schools. Correct?

Yup.

Besides, you're Canadian. You don't technically need a Visa. You just need to pay some stupid fees.

Hi guys!

I've been trying to get some information about Canadians applying to the US as well. Unfortunately, there aren't too many threads!

I also created my account on AADSAS today and had a few questions!

I'm writing my Canadian DAT's this upcoming November, will I still be able to apply to all the Canadian friendly dental schools I wish to pursue?

Also, I noticed that US schools go by some sort of "roll application" process, where if you supposedly apply early (early July), it puts you at more of an advantage than if you were to apply say closer to the due date. Is this true?

If so, can I apply to the US schools I want to apply for now, even though I have not written my DAT?

Another question is, I notice that most schools have 2 deadlines; one for application and fee, and a later one (usually Feb 1) for documentations.

Does that mean, I only need to apply (no paperwork, LoR, Transcripts etc) and pay fees by Dec 1, and I can hand everything else in by Feb 1?

Thanks guys!

This is all such a confusing process, all help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys!

I've been trying to get some information about Canadians applying to the US as well. Unfortunately, there aren't too many threads!

I also created my account on AADSAS today and had a few questions!

I'm writing my Canadian DAT's this upcoming November, will I still be able to apply to all the Canadian friendly dental schools I wish to pursue?

Also, I noticed that US schools go by some sort of "roll application" process, where if you supposedly apply early (early July), it puts you at more of an advantage than if you were to apply say closer to the due date. Is this true?

If so, can I apply to the US schools I want to apply for now, even though I have not written my DAT?

Another question is, I notice that most schools have 2 deadlines; one for application and fee, and a later one (usually Feb 1) for documentations.

Does that mean, I only need to apply (no paperwork, LoR, Transcripts etc) and pay fees by Dec 1, and I can hand everything else in by Feb 1?

Thanks guys!

This is all such a confusing process, all help will be greatly appreciated!

Alright, I'm sorry, but this post is mostly going to be bad news and I'm not going to sugar coat it. But I will explain what you can do.

You can e-submit your AADSAS application now and AADSAS will verify your GPA (once you submit your transcripts) and send off your file to the schools you wish to apply to.

However, your application will not be complete until your DAT scores are in, and this won't be until after December 1st, which is when the first round of acceptances are released. By this time many schools will have already filled up their interview schedules, and your chances of obtaining an interview, never mind acceptance, are quite low, unless you have "high" stats (3.75+ GPA, 20+ DAT).

To put it bluntly, you are shooting yourself in the foot by taking your DAT in November. If you wanted to apply to American schools with a decent chance, you should've written the February DAT or written the American DAT earlier.

At this point you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You can e-submit at anytime of course, but without a DAT score no school will bother to look at your application. Meanwhile they are interviewing and subsequently accepting other applicants who already have all of their materials here. So the debate is this: do you risk it anyways, take your DAT in November, and hope for the best?

Or, do you write the American DAT as soon as you can (its results would still take time but would be released much sooner since it's computer based and your score and DENTPIN will be associated with your AADSAS application... no sending of paper scores from the CDA required), and hope you do well, at the risk of providing the schools with a sub-par (because you had very little time to study) application and prompting them to possibly reject you as a result?

And that's the decision you have to make. How early your application is complete and ready for review at each school is paramount to getting interviews.

Now, don't despair. If you do write the American DAT relatively soon, you stand a decent chance provided you get good scores. I didn't write the American DAT but I *did* apply quite late (my applications were complete in early September) with my cDAT scores. I still got a number of interviews and was accepted to all the schools I interviewed at. However, your mileage may vary. Some people apply early and don't get any interviews; others apply late and get tons. But to maximise your chances, you really should've done your homework.

December 1st is NOT a deadline for application. You are supposed to be submitting your transcripts, letters of recommendation, and your electronic application to AADSAS right now. Ideally, a month ago. All this information will be forwarded to the schools you designate and pay fees for. Schools will have secondary applications, fees, and deadlines that they may or may not give you depending on whether or not they believe your application is worth their time. Given the fact that your DAT scores aren't in yet, I wouldn't expect any until that is complete.

At this point I'd recommend that you get your letters and transcripts in order, submit as soon as possible, write the American DAT in a few weeks, and hope you can be complete by August (September is really cutting it close; I got lucky, I'd say).

Basically, it's not about when you click "Submit" on your AADSAS application, but rather when you are "Complete and Ready for Review" as deemed by each school's admissions committee. Your DAT score is essentially the most fundamental component of your application after your GPA. No school will bother to look at your application until that is received.

Best of luck.

Hey Cleanup,

Thanks for all your advice! Although it put me in a some-what sad situation, I think it was a good kick in the @$$ for me to get things going.

Unfortunately, I don't think its possible for me to write the American DAT at this point, since I'm in the early stages of studying for the cDAT. By the time I could get everything studied for, for the aDAT, I think it would just be a few weeks earlier than writing my cDAT. Not to mention a probable sub-par grade.

I think my best bet is to risk the late rolling admission. You did mention that there are people, including yourself that apply late and got plenty of interviews and even acceptances. Hopefully, I can be within that category. I understand I'm cutting a lot of chances with the situation I'm faced, but at this moment, I think this is the best choice I've got since I don't want to rush the aDAT and submit with a sub-par grade. I'd rather roll late and do well on my cDAT.

I'll also be applying to all the Canadian Dental schools, I don't believe they run through a rolling application process, so I should be fairly safe, I guess. Do you know if this is true?

On the same note, University of Manitoba Dental seems to not accept DAT scores for the 12-13 session for any exams written post Nov 2011. Is that true? If so, how many others are like that? I was under the impression from research that you could write the year of application - given that you might be applying blind without knowing your DAT scores.

Ah, I guess it is myself to blame for not writing last summer. The worst case is I don't get in, but I stay a fifth year in undergrad and boost my GPA/LoR/volunteer experiences up.

Thank you so much CleanUp.

Hey Cleanup,

Thanks for all your advice! Although it put me in a some-what sad situation, I think it was a good kick in the @$$ for me to get things going.

Unfortunately, I don't think its possible for me to write the American DAT at this point, since I'm in the early stages of studying for the cDAT. By the time I could get everything studied for, for the aDAT, I think it would just be a few weeks earlier than writing my cDAT. Not to mention a probable sub-par grade.

I think my best bet is to risk the late rolling admission. You did mention that there are people, including yourself that apply late and got plenty of interviews and even acceptances. Hopefully, I can be within that category. I understand I'm cutting a lot of chances with the situation I'm faced, but at this moment, I think this is the best choice I've got since I don't want to rush the aDAT and submit with a sub-par grade. I'd rather roll late and do well on my cDAT.

I'll also be applying to all the Canadian Dental schools, I don't believe they run through a rolling application process, so I should be fairly safe, I guess. Do you know if this is true?

On the same note, University of Manitoba Dental seems to not accept DAT scores for the 12-13 session for any exams written post Nov 2011. Is that true? If so, how many others are like that? I was under the impression from research that you could write the year of application - given that you might be applying blind without knowing your DAT scores.

Ah, I guess it is myself to blame for not writing last summer. The worst case is I don't get in, but I stay a fifth year in undergrad and boost my GPA/LoR/volunteer experiences up.

Thank you so much CleanUp.

Word to the wise, the situation I was in and your current situation (or future one) are worlds apart. I had 3 pre-December interviews. Your DAT scores will be available in mid-December, when most schools aren't even looking at applications due to the holiday season. Students have 45 days (If I recall correctly) to respond to their December 1st offers of admission, so I wouldn't expect to receive any interview invites during that period, at least until mid to late January, and even then, most of the post-December interview slots will have already been taken.

And you're right, Canadian schools do not operate on a rolling basis.

What are your AADSAS stats like?

Word to the wise, the situation I was in and your current situation (or future one) are worlds apart. I had 3 pre-December interviews. Your DAT scores will be available in mid-December, when most schools aren't even looking at applications due to the holiday season. Students have 45 days (If I recall correctly) to respond to their December 1st offers of admission, so I wouldn't expect to receive any interview invites during that period, at least until mid to late January, and even then, most of the post-December interview slots will have already been taken.

And you're right, Canadian schools do not operate on a rolling basis.

What are your AADSAS stats like?

I'm trying to figure out how to convert my transcript over to AADSAS. I go to Queen's and half way through my undergrad they converted from percentage scale to Grade Letter scale.

I'm reading on the AADSAS GPA conversion site, that they use "semester hours". Would our 1 term be referred to as 3 semester hours, and 1 full year course is 6 semester hours?

I have my cumulative GPA from my transcripts, but I don't think I would do a straight conversion from my cGPA to AADSAS stats.

I'm trying to figure out how to convert my transcript over to AADSAS. I go to Queen's and half way through my undergrad they converted from percentage scale to Grade Letter scale.

I'm reading on the AADSAS GPA conversion site, that they use "semester hours". Would our 1 term be referred to as 3 semester hours, and 1 full year course is 6 semester hours?

I have my cumulative GPA from my transcripts, but I don't think I would do a straight conversion from my cGPA to AADSAS stats.

You'd have to call your registrar at Queen's to figure that out; each school is different--I went to U of T. For U of T, a halfyear course was 3 hours, a fullyear course was 6 hours, and this was in spite of any tutorial or lab components.

If some courses only show percentages, AADSAS will standardize them using their standard scale, which is 60-69 = D = 1.0, 70-79 = C = 2.0, 80-89 = B = 3.0, 90-100 = A = 4.0.

For the courses that show letter grades, AADSAS will priortise those and convert them as follows:

A+ = 4.33

A = 4.00

A- = 3.67

B+ = 3.33

etc.

You should really be asking these questions over on the StudentDoctorNetwork Pre-Dental forums, where there'll be a lot more people equipped to help you.

Hey cleanup,

Do you know if most US schools take your best 2 years? or all your courses except the year of application.

All years. They also request an academic update in February so you can send in fall transcripts; at that point they can revoke acceptances if they wish. It will also play a factor in admissions decisions if they're still reviewing your file.

Another question I have is regarding the application fee, specifically for UPenn and NYU. They tell me that they only accept money orders, but when I go to do a money order I am told that they can fit the entire "payable to" sections that those schools want. I'm probably going to end up sending a bank draft since they are virtually interchangeable with money orders, but I was just wondering if anyone else had to deal with this issue.

Thanks

Another question I have is regarding the application fee, specifically for UPenn and NYU. They tell me that they only accept money orders, but when I go to do a money order I am told that they can fit the entire "payable to" sections that those schools want. I'm probably going to end up sending a bank draft since they are virtually interchangeable with money orders, but I was just wondering if anyone else had to deal with this issue.

Thanks

I used money orders to pay for all my fees and applied to both of those schools. No issues.

I'm confused; just write smaller.

Where did you get or money order from. Because when i went to get mine, the lady said they they have to type on the 'payable to' section themselves and that it only fits a certain number of letters. Sounds ridiculous i know.

Scotiabank. Mine were handwritten by the teller, always.

Thanks! Just one for quick question about Detroit Mercy.

On AADSAS is mentioned that University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry requires a "Course-By-Course Evaluation Report prepared by the Education Credential Evaluators, Inc." and on the website for University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry it states "Evidence that the alien has the necessary credentials to be a professional in one of the Schedule 2 fields". I honestly am not sure what this refers to. Do I need to take this into consideration is this more more international students other then Canadians?

If not I guess this is all that they need, right?

- High School Transcripts (does it have to be in a sealed and signed envelope?)

- $75 Application fee

- Proof of Canadian citizenship (copy of passport)

- 2'' x 2'' signed photograph

Ive emailed Detroit Mercy admin about this but they have yet to get back to me.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

one more question.

So I've submitted AADSAS and my GPA has been calculated and it has been sent out to all the schools. Thing is that I am still waiting on one more reference letter that i need to get from my shadowing dentist. AADSAS says that they will just send the letter once its submitted in the 'next mailing'. Im just wondering if anyone knows how often these 'mailings' are? like every week? month?

thanks

one more question.

So I've submitted AADSAS and my GPA has been calculated and it has been sent out to all the schools. Thing is that I am still waiting on one more reference letter that i need to get from my shadowing dentist. AADSAS says that they will just send the letter once its submitted in the 'next mailing'. Im just wondering if anyone knows how often these 'mailings' are? like every week? month?

thanks

Hey, have you decided when you'll be taking the aDAT? My thought is that you still stand a decent chance if you take it by Aug 31. If you're only gonna take cDAT, you should probably not apply to any US schools. Much too late.

If you were taking the aDAT by Aug 31, make sure you email/call all the schools regarding whether or not they accept a scan of your unofficial score. It could speed things up by 1 month.

Good luck! I feel you man. I was thinking of not applying until Dec/Feb too because of the deceiving deadlines. Thankfully the director at Marquette knocked some sense into me when I toured the school.

Hey, have you decided when you'll be taking the aDAT? My thought is that you still stand a decent chance if you take it by Aug 31. If you're only gonna take cDAT, you should probably not apply to any US schools. Much too late.

If you were taking the aDAT by Aug 31, make sure you email/call all the schools regarding whether or not they accept a scan of your unofficial score. It could speed things up by 1 month.

Good luck! I feel you man. I was thinking of not applying until Dec/Feb too because of the deceiving deadlines. Thankfully the director at Marquette knocked some sense into me when I toured the school.

I actually wrote my cDAT back in November 2010 and the ten schools im applying to all are accepting those scores. I have everything done in my application except that one delay i have in getting the last reference letter, so i was just wondering how long it would take until the schools would get that one letter, since the rest of the application is complete and sent out.

Thanks for the advice though.

I actually wrote my cDAT back in November 2010 and the ten schools im applying to all are accepting those scores. I have everything done in my application except that one delay i have in getting the last reference letter, so i was just wondering how long it would take until the schools would get that one letter, since the rest of the application is complete and sent out.

Thanks for the advice though.

Awesome :D Good luck!

Archived