Premed 101 Forums

Help with choosing a major (Biomed vs Biology)

Hey so Im not sure what major to take, I'm debating betweeen the biomedical science degree and the biology degree. The ultimate goal is for me to get into med school and I know both degrees will suffice but if I dont get in I want a back up plan and thats where the degree comes in. I wanted to know in your opinion what degree could help me get a better job or are they both the same. Thank you in advance.

Even in terms of a back up plan biomed won't offer any more career opportunities than a biology degree (speaking strictly of the degree itself). Where biomed might be more beneficial, depending on your school, is research/master's opportunities. The biomed program at my alma mater had a mandatory 4th year research project, so students were given the experience of networking with a professor and many went on to do master's with those same professors. I'm not sure how the program at your school works.

Overall, I was happy not having done the biomed program. I had more elective courses and I avoided taking a few really difficult courses I had no desire to take anyways. And if you're proactive, you'll have no problems getting involved with a professor to do research so long as you start early.

Here is what you do.

You enroll into biomed (assuming is the more strict degree). You keep in mind of the requirements of BIology and Biomed. Anytime you come accross a situation where being in biomed jeopardizes your chances, you, at that point, forget you are in biomed and simply take courses that satisfy biology. let your department know a year before your graduation and you should be fine.

The reason why I say to enroll in biomed is because sometimes it may be hard to go from bio to biomed, but its always possible to go from biomed to bio. and also because the strict biomed courses are sometimes fun

yes I want a job in health care or in a pharmaceutical company. I'm already done two years of the biomed program but the thing is there are too much mandatory biology credits in the third and fourth year for the biomed program whereas in the biology program there is a lot more room for electives which would help my gpa. So thats why I was considering switching to the biology degree. Also do any of you know what kind of jobs I could get with a biology degree. Thank you in advance.

Having graduated with a biomed degree, I can tell you in my case, the biomed degree did not give me a better job prospect than my friend in Honor Science.

My two cents is that you can always start with a biomed degree and after first year decide what you want. You can always transfer into biology after first year. The first year courses are pretty much the same regardless of your program.

Pro of Biomed

- more structured --> covers a good portion of courses required for med school as pre reqs

- students are more or less all aiming at professional school

Pro of Honour Science/ Biology

- more choice--> you can choice to specialize in a particular field of interest--> more interest tends to give you better marks

- can avoid some "killer" courses. Some courses in biomed are know as GPA killers and are not a part courses required by med school. (This differs from school to school. But this is definitely the case at my school)

I would go with biology. Any GPA killers should be avoided if possible! Biology has a lot more leeway.... Both BSc are pretty much equivalent in terms of job opportunities. Anyways, that's the case here in Montreal.

Go for Bio, that's the best decision I've made!

I would go with biology. Any GPA killers should be avoided if possible! Biology has a lot more leeway.... Both BSc are pretty much equivalent in terms of job opportunities. Anyways, that's the case here in Montreal.

Go for Bio, that's the best decision I've made!

And if you hadn't gotten into med school what would you be doing?

yes I want a job in health care or in a pharmaceutical company. I'm already done two years of the biomed program but the thing is there are too much mandatory biology credits in the third and fourth year for the biomed program whereas in the biology program there is a lot more room for electives which would help my gpa. So thats why I was considering switching to the biology degree. Also do any of you know what kind of jobs I could get with a biology degree. Thank you in advance.

you sound like a yorkie? lol

Jobs with biology = zookeeper, receptionist/secretary... google search for jobs in your area to get an idea of whats kind of jobs are available

Archived