Premed 101 Forums

Mac or not mac?

This is a little bit in advance but it's driving me crazy. Just finished my first year and my GPA's decent enough that if I keep it up next year, I think I'd have a shot at Mac after 3rd year. My top choice would be UofT but my chances of getting in after 3rd year are slim to none since summer courses are providing a nice bump to my Mac GPA

My problem is, I'm incredibly wary of Mac's 3 year program. Based on volunteering/shadowing, I think I'd like rads. Of course, there's a chance that I'd want to change it after clinical rotations. If I stick with rads, I'm worried about having time to research and if I switch, I'm worried about not having enough time to switch. I'd also like to come back to Toronto for residency.

I realize it's early but if I apply in 3rd year and get accepted to Mac, there's no way I would be able to turn down an offer for a chance at UofT the next year.

To summarize, I can't decide whether I want to try and save 2 years by applying to Mac or just wait and apply everywhere afterwards.

ETA: Maybe this should've gone in the Mac thread, but I kind of wanted everyone's opinion on it.

If you get a seat offered anywhere in Ontario, take it and run. There are no guarantees here.
+1

All Ontario/Canadian medical schools can prepare you to be a competrtive applicant in whatever specialty you want to go in to. Mac students are like any other med students; they change their minds at the 'last minute' and still match into the specialties they want. You simply have to be proactive in seeking out opportunities.

The 'take a seat and run' is kind of what I'm worried about. So you're saying it's better to apply in 3rd year to just Mac instead of waiting until 4th year and applying everywhere?

that seems like an obvious thing to do right? :) Apply in 3rd year to Mac. If you get in you get in. YAY! If not, try again next year but then apply to all schools! :)

In terms of school 'ranking' I personally would love to go to mac. Their PBL system is awesome and would be the best fit for me. If it would be the best fit for you then why even worry about toronto? I personally would hate to go to Toronto cause of the crazy/uneccesaary work load. But if thats your thing then go for it :P lol At the end of the day it really REALLY doesn't matter where you go as long as you go to a canadian school. I've had several different doctors throughout my life and I honestly never even THOUGHT about asking where they went to school....the majority of people dont know or dont care.

My problem is, I'm incredibly wary of Mac's 3 year program. Based on volunteering/shadowing, I think I'd like rads. Of course, there's a chance that I'd want to change it after clinical rotations. If I stick with rads, I'm worried about having time to research and if I switch, I'm worried about not having enough time to switch. I'd also like to come back to Toronto for residency.

oh and honestly its what you make of it that counts. One of my classmate's sisters went to Mac and she ended up matching to a competitive surgical residency! My friend told me her sis was a total go getter and that she matched to her first choice. So really, if you work hard...you can get out of med school a year faster AND match in to your choice residency :)

The 'take a seat and run' is kind of what I'm worried about. So you're saying it's better to apply in 3rd year to just Mac instead of waiting until 4th year and applying everywhere?

Do both.

Back to the OP's question, apply to Mac for 3rd year, if you get in great. Spend the year at Mac med and see how it goes. If you hate it apply everywhere from medschool to go somewhere else. Frankly I'm sure once you spend a year at Mac you'll get used to it and adjust yourself appropriately. Getting in anywhere is a gift. I was extremely excited when i heard of my Mac offer, even though I always had my heart set on queens.

it's rather presumptious to assume you'd get into mac isnt it? why not just apply anyways, and wait and see if you get in or not. it's better than simply not applying- at least you have a choice

I wasn't trying to be presumptious. I just said, if I got in, I wouldn't be able to reject it. My main worry was about Mac's unique curriculum and how much of an effect it would have come match time.

To everyone else, thank you! I guess my fears about Mac aren't that bad. It sounds like the 3-year program isn't any disadvantage. At this point, I think I'm satisfied about what I've heard and I'll continue with my plan for aiming for Mac after 3rd year. :)

Do both.

Back to the OP's question, apply to Mac for 3rd year, if you get in great. Spend the year at Mac med and see how it goes. If you hate it apply everywhere from medschool to go somewhere else. Frankly I'm sure once you spend a year at Mac you'll get used to it and adjust yourself appropriately. Getting in anywhere is a gift. I was extremely excited when i heard of my Mac offer, even though I always had my heart set on queens.

I never considered transferring, but that works too! It's just that I've always hoped for UofT because I've been here so long, but Mac would get me out faster and I thought their PBL model sounded like something that I'd like.

Archived