Premed 101 Forums

Questions specific to my situation

Hey guys, I'm a first time poster. I really wish I found this site earlier: it would have made applying to medical schools much easier. :)

I just graduated from uOttawa in June with strong grades but ****ty ECs. I applied to schools in Ontario and unfortunately got 0 requests for an interview. But that only motivated me so I'm reapplying again.

Anyway, straight to the point. I got a couple of questions that couldn't be answered by the FAQs.

I got a 36Q on my first MCAT, but it wasn't a very balanced score (BS 14, PS 13, VR 9). It didn't meet the cutoffs for a few medschools, so I considered redoing it. A lot of people told me it's a good score and I shouldn't risk doing it again and potentially getting worse (very possible). I don't have access to the same resources as I did when I wrote it last year, but should I try it again?

I wanted to apply to UBC, but they're asking for six credits of English. I unfortunately only have 3 credits. Would they be making exceptions or no? Also, since I already graduated, how do I register for a single course?

Thanks in advance!

If more info is needed, I'll update my signature with some stats and stuff.

I wanted to apply to UBC, but they're asking for six credits of English. I unfortunately only have 3 credits. Would they be making exceptions or no? Also, since I already graduated, how do I register for a single course?

Making an exception for you would set a precedent, something I don't think UBC (or any school for that matter) would be too keen on doing. :)

Are you planning to take the extra English course at uOttawa? If so, you can register as a special student at the Faculty of Arts. The only hiccup is that you have to register in person, and fairly late in the summer (I think registration for special students opened up on August 22nd last year).

Wherever you take the course, just make sure it's equivalent to one of the prerequisite courses listed on UBC's web site.

I dunno I don't think your score really merits writing again. There are lots of schools that you're eligible to apply to and give you a good shot- Mac, u of t, Ottawa, northern if you live up there, maybe queens. If your gpa is competitive you should get an interview with that. A lot of it depends on your gpa, ABS and LORs with a score like that. If the rest is good I'm sure somewhere would be happy to take you. If you say your ECs are bad I would boost those instead. Go volunteer at a hospital, pick up a sport or 3,join a few clubs

Thanks for all the responses so far, guys.

Making an exception for you would set a precedent, something I don't think UBC (or any school for that matter) would be too keen on doing. :)

Are you planning to take the extra English course at uOttawa? If so, you can register as a special student at the Faculty of Arts. The only hiccup is that you have to register in person, and fairly late in the summer (I think registration for special students opened up on August 22nd last year).

Wherever you take the course, just make sure it's equivalent to one of the prerequisite courses listed on UBC's web site.

Thank you, this information is extremely helpful. BTW is it better if I register for a number of courses including English, maybe working toward a minor? Or should I just focus on ECs?

I would rewrite your MCAT. If you're getting 13s or 14s in PS or BS, it's not likely you'll drop them to a 10 or lower. Your VR is crummy, and it will help you a lot to improve it.

Well said. I might rewrite in October.

I dunno I don't think your score really merits writing again. There are lots of schools that you're eligible to apply to and give you a good shot- Mac, u of t, Ottawa, northern if you live up there, maybe queens. If your gpa is competitive you should get an interview with that. A lot of it depends on your gpa, ABS and LORs with a score like that. If the rest is good I'm sure somewhere would be happy to take you. If you say your ECs are bad I would boost those instead. Go volunteer at a hospital, pick up a sport or 3,join a few clubs

Does ABS = Autobiographical Sketch?

What kind of clubs can I join now that I am no longer in Uni?

Ya abs is the sketch. There are lots of local chapters of heart and stroke foundation, can volunteer with sick kids fundraising for camp oochigeas, almost any charity or church (if you're religious) will have a fundraising club or something like that available. I also really liked teaching little kids and I think the ad comes like it too. If you're particularly good at anything maybe see if you can teach it to someone. Even tutoring would work

Thank you, this information is extremely helpful. BTW is it better if I register for a number of courses including English, maybe working toward a minor? Or should I just focus on ECs?

I would simply focus on ECs. If your grades are already at the level they need to be, I don't know how much good a minor would do. Perhaps I am wrong, and someone with more knowledge on this matter would have more insight to offer...that is just my two cents.

As robinre pointed out, there are a variety of clubs you can join/activities you can partake in to improve your application next time around. Also, it's just fun to get involved. :)

definetely, definetely re-write. my friend re-wrote with 14/9/14 and then subsequently got 12/11/11. he studied a few weeks, just glanced over sciences. and because of that he is now guaranteed an interview at western, and one interview is all some people need. the higher VR also bump your chances for Mac. if you got 14/13 the first time for sciences and strong gpa, more than likely you'll have no problem getting 11s. in ontario, science scores above 11 are literally useless.

I got a 36Q on my first MCAT, but it wasn't a very balanced score (BS 14, PS 13, VR 9). It didn't meet the cutoffs for a few medschools, so I considered redoing it. A lot of people told me it's a good score and I shouldn't risk doing it again and potentially getting worse (very possible). I don't have access to the same resources as I did when I wrote it last year, but should I try it again?

Thanks in advance!

If more info is needed, I'll update my signature with some stats and stuff.

You may consider applying state-side. With good marks and MCAT, you're already 2/3rds of the way there...

Archived