Premed 101 Forums

Am I eligible?

Alright, I know uOttawa needs 5 full year courses per year, and they permit 4 classes per semester if you make it up in the summer months.

I'll outline my entire university career (I go to McGill. Classes are usually 3 or 4 credits, sometimes 1 credit).

First year; 4 courses a semester, 29 credits (standard for first years here).

Summer; 1 class, 3 credits.

Second year; 5 courses a semester, 28 credits. (two of the courses were 1 credit courses.

Third year; first semester 4 courses, second semester 5 courses, 28 credits.

I'm a little peeved because my adviser here assured me that all med schools have a minimum of 28 credits a year. I know I should have went ahead and checked otherwise, but I didn't.

So, am I out of the running given my multiple 4 class semesters? I have one more year left (and, if needed, one more summer). Do I have to take on a bigger course load? Thanks a lot in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I am confused! here is my question, please excuse me if it is complicated:

I attended UofT for two years studying in the Engineering science program:

first year: I had 12 courses.

second year: I had 10 courses.

Then I decided to change my program, long story short, I am now studying at York - Biological Sciences

Summer1: 3 courses (9 credits) 4.0

Year1: 9 courses (30 credits) 3.96

Year2: 7 courses (21 credits) 3.86

Year3: 10 courses (30 credits) 3.90

Year4: 10 courses (30 credits) 3.90

How are they going to look at my undergraduate? Am I eligible for their program? If yes, which years are they going to use to calculate the wGPA?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, thank you

Now I am confused! here is my question, please excuse me if it is complicated:

I attended UofT for two years studying in the Engineering science program:

first year: I had 12 courses.

second year: I had 10 courses.

Then I decided to change my program, long story short, I am now studying at York - Biological Sciences

Summer1: 3 courses (9 credits) 4.0

Year1: 9 courses (30 credits) 3.96

Year2: 7 courses (21 credits) 3.86

Year3: 10 courses (30 credits) 3.90

Year4: 10 courses (30 credits) 3.90

How are they going to look at my undergraduate? Am I eligible for their program? If yes, which years are they going to use to calculate the wGPA?

Please let me know what your thoughts are, thank you

Best to email U/O adcoms directly for precise information. It seems to me that year 2 York is problematic and perhaps Summer 1 will compensate for no full course load in year 1.

I am assuming they will look at your last 4 years.

Thank you for replying to my question.

I called them and personally asked them my question, the way it was explained to be was that there are two scenarios.

If you are planning to apply by your third year of study, you should have completed all the academic years by taking the equivalent of 5 full-year courses, or a minimum of 4 full-year courses if compensated for during the next/previous summer or school year.

i.e.

Year1 - 5, 5 courses

Summer - 2 couses

Year2 - 4, 4 courses

Summer - 1 courses

Year3 - 5, 4 courses

- you have fulfilled the requirements of a full-time year.

There is a second scenario and that is if you have completed more than 3 years of full-time studies (90 credits), and you have more than 90 credits listed in your transcript. In that case as long as you have been registered or register in an equivalent of 4 full-year courses, those years are considered full-time years and will be used in your wGPA calculation.

Most recent full-time year (minimum 4,4) X 3

Full-time year before that (minimum 4,4) X 2

Full-time year before that (minimum 4,4) X 1

total/6 = wGPA

Regards,

Archived