Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Everyone on this forum seems to be very informative and helpful so I was hoping some of you could comment on my chances at getting into an MOT program. I just received my undergrad degree and plan on applying to UBC, UofA, UofT, UWO and maybe Queens. My calculated GPA in 300/400 (UBC purposes) level courses was around a 3.63, and my last 20 courses (UofA/other OT school purposes) was around 3.53, my cGPA (Queens purposes) is not that impressive (due to immaturity in year 1 and 2) and probably sits around 3.2 overall. I've been somewhat frightened by all the high GPAs I see on this forum and was wondering how these numbers would do?

I plan on taking a couple 300/400 level courses this september to hopefully boost my GPA a bit, and also in hopes that those will round out my last 20 courses a bit more, so ORPAS doesn't have to dip into my 2nd year at all (have heard my full year would be used, and not just my last two classes that year, and do not want that happening!). Any opinions/advice/help would be appreciated!

I can only speak for the Eastern Schools, as I never applied to UBC or UofA. Unfortunately the cut off for Toronto and Western this year were a lot higher than either of your GPAs :(. Queens is funny in the way that they calculate their admissions rankings, no one is really sure the breakdown, so if you can provide stellar answers to their ORPAS questions, I would say that you have as good of shot as anyone else! Have you though about McGill?They have a 3.0 cutoff- and there is a big focus on the admission letter (1-2 pages), your CV, and references. You didnt mention any ECs (extra curriculars)..they can be a great compliment to a GPA that might be a bit lower than the norm. Id be happy to shed some light on things you can do before the applications are due to boost your chances! -jj

Hey JJ!

Thanks for your reply! From my understanding McGill requires an interview process and i'm located around Vancouver, it would be quite taxing to pay for flight, take time off school/work/volunteering, and in such short notice (interview invites don't give you the biggest 'heads up'), BUT I am considering it! As for my EC's I have my fishing lines out there on a couple great opportunities and am just waiting for a couple to be set in stone before I comment on them, but I do have good experience dealing with vulnerable populations and promoting health and care. Would you be able to comment on what the GPA cutoffs were like out East? Thank you again!

Hi BCOTwannabe,

My GPA for my last 20 courses was 3.55 and I got into U of T and Queen's (however, U of T MAY have boosted my GPA to 3.58 for me, since one of my studio art courses wasn't supposed to count). My sGPA for Queen's was a lot lower but I forget the exact number... I think getting in is possible as long as you haul ass on your admissions essays and get stellar references. Good luck!

Archived