Premed 101 Forums

Research Position Pay

master100

I have been volunteering for a prof for a while now and he has decided to hire me as a research assistant this fall. What is a reasonable hourly pay for a part-time position? How many hours do people usually do for a part time position during the year with a full course load? I am going to meet him soon and I just wanted to get a rough idea about these things. Thanks :)

Just take it and go.

Take it

and Go :D

I doubt he'll be paying you anymore than minimum wage unless he got mad grants on his hands.

yea do this.

also, I think ray students get more then nserc students get. congrets, its pretty hard to get a ray opportunity. did you have to ask the prof to consider or did the prof just spontaneously ask you if you wanted to do it?

yea do this.

also, I think ray students get more then nserc students get. congrets, its pretty hard to get a ray opportunity. did you have to ask the prof to consider or did the prof just spontaneously ask you if you wanted to do it?

How do you know hes from york?

If this is a Research-at-york (RAY) job, then the minimum you get paid is $15. NSERC and work/study positions pays you minimum wage

it looks good on your cv (nserc i mean), that's how much you get paid… you also get benefits, money: if you're in eng… it get's kind of pretty decent… but seriously, like 12 bucks an hour… actually, maybe less, i made like 25 though, by proxy of only having to work half hours… i was too stupid to work with animals so they gave me real work instead, i kinda realized that i was doing well… work the gov pays 30 an hour for, and got my hours cut… yay for sucking at bench and animal work… lol… too bad you have to through grad school to get a phd, id love too, but rats just don't seem to appealing, i just like the ideas part you're more focusses on when you finnish

When I worked in research as an undergrad, they tended to go with the Stipend option, rather than hourly pay. It was typically paid around $1200/month, so less than minimum wage, especially considering that you usually spend more than 40 hours a week.

But working in research is usually pretty lax in comparison to most other jobs (especially customer service) and you get to learn something, so it's worth it!

• 1 month later...

Archived