Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS - Sketch

Another question:

There are a couple of verifiers for whom I only have email id, not phone number or address. There is no space to include email and the application system doesn't let me leave the address slots empty. What are we suppose to do in these situations?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another question:

There are a couple of verifiers for whom I only have email id, not phone number or address. There is no space to include email and the application system doesn't let me leave the address slots empty. What are we suppose to do in these situations?

I had to find out the phone numbers. I emailed verifiers to whom I only had emails and got their numbers. You still have plenty of time to send out emails.

For refrees, it doesn't let me add extension number and all my refrees have an extension number. Is anyone else having the same problem? Should I just leave it at the main phone number for the university since it doesn't let me enter extension numbers?

For refrees, it doesn't let me add extension number and all my refrees have an extension number. Is anyone else having the same problem? Should I just leave it at the main phone number for the university since it doesn't let me enter extension numbers?

I added their extension number by simply adding "x####" after I entered in their number. It should fit.

I added their extension number by simply adding "x####" after I entered in their number. It should fit.

I tried that already before posting my question on this thread - it does not let me enter the extension number in the format you mentioned, an error pops up saying that it is not the correct format. Phone number should be in the format "123-456-7890".

I worked in a research centre for one summer and I was working on 2 separate projects simultaneously. The general subject area of both projects was similar but I was working under different people for the two projects and conducting research with two different groups of participants - adults and children. Since there is limited space to include topic and details, should I split into 2 activities for the sketch or have it as one?

Thanks future_doc! I entered it as 2 activities and used 2 different people as verifiers since the projects were being overlooked by different people.

Another question:

Is it generally okay to include one time activities? For example, during my first year, I volunteered to help out with college elections. This was only for a couple of weeks and I have a verifier for this activity but it was not long term or for multiple years. Do such activities seem like fillers or is it OK to include them?

Thanks future_doc! I entered it as 2 activities and used 2 different people as verifiers since the projects were being overlooked by different people.

Another question:

Is it generally okay to include one time activities? For example, during my first year, I volunteered to help out with college elections. This was only for a couple of weeks and I have a verifier for this activity but it was not long term or for multiple years. Do such activities seem like fillers or is it OK to include them?

Does the activity say anything about you that would help in your application?

For verifiers, what is the comments section for?

I'm using it to state who the verifier actually is (ie. supervisor for X activity)

Is anyone listing awards that they received in high school? Like grade 12 chemistry award?

I would include that

Is anyone listing awards that they received in high school? Like grade 12 chemistry award?

They asked everything since the age of 16, so I put down my gr12 subject award as one entry and few medals i received from toronto track as one entry. It may sound as if no one cares, but if it's something you're proud of, then put it down. My peers who were admitted last year to UofT, put their subject awards in.

This may seem like a silly question, but what do we actually put for "Description"? Do we just put the formal organization name? Or do we also put an explanation of what the organization is (if the name is obscure and it is not widely recognized)? Do we also put our position (i.e. "Research Student", "Volunteer", etc.)?

Hi guys,

When giving further details on awards received, there is a section that requires one to talk about the 'competition involved'.

I'm wondering if that means we should talk about the number of people we were up against for the award, or what the process of receiving the award entailed? Any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

Unless they're really impressive activities, I would include as few as possible. Otherwise, they look like fillers and may have an adverse effect instead.

I completely agree. Problem is that I'm not sure what counts as impressive. I held several leadership positions in HS but I'm not sure if they're worth mentioning.

I completely agree. Problem is that I'm not sure what counts as impressive. I held several leadership positions in HS but I'm not sure if they're worth mentioning.

Maybe group HS leadership ones together? Don't list HS Student council as an individual item.

If I had to name a few off the top of my head: Valedictorian, Top 20 under 20, Team Captain of Sports (won 1st/2nd/3rd in East Canada) etc..

Maybe group HS leadership ones together? Don't list HS Student council as an individual item.

If I had to name a few off the top of my head: Valedictorian, Top 20 under 20, Team Captain of Sports (won 1st/2nd/3rd in East Canada) etc..

I would suggest working towards what the Sketch was intended to do... giving you an opportunity to talk about activities where you have displayed qualities that would make you a good applicant.

List leadership items that display good qualities... But be aware that putting too much emphasis on them could hurt your credibility given that you have done things in your undergraduate as well.

Find that balance (ask friends if you need to - since everyone's sketch is specific) and hand that in. It's hard to ask for general advice on specific circumstances.

I would suggest working towards what the Sketch was intended to do... giving you an opportunity to talk about activities where you have displayed qualities that would make you a good applicant.

List leadership items that display good qualities... But be aware that putting too much emphasis on them could hurt your credibility given that you have done things in your undergraduate as well.

Find that balance (ask friends if you need to - since everyone's sketch is specific) and hand that in. It's hard to ask for general advice on specific circumstances.

Thanks! I found this very helpful. Obviously I want to put my best foot forward but in the panic sometimes I forget that what the activities show are more important than how many of them there are!

Archived