Premed 101 Forums

Tmj

sdcd

I just got accepted to medical school and need some advice. I had a surgery for a ear condition earlier in the year and since then, I am having worsening headaches and neck pain which has been chronic and constant, pretty much 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The pain is not disabling but it most definitely affects my concentration and mood, and my ability to perform optimally during the day. The surgeon has stated that this has nothing to do with the surgery and it could possibly be TMJ. I visited a couple of dentists recently and they were absolutely certain this was TMJ based on a couple of tests. The dentists have suggested use of some expensive splints that I have on throughout the day for 8-12 weeks and then after that period, I would need to use the splints night time while sleeping. I am just worried this could make it worse, its painful as it is, I don't think I could live with this if it gets any worse.

Does any one have any advice on this matter? I am also starting to get a little worried as to how I will be able to cope with this in med school once I begin in September. Any suggestions.

Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful...

Just to cover your butt, if I was in your situation I'd definitely be talking with the med school and seeing what your options are with them. Would you qualify as a student with a disability? Maybe get some special considerations with respect to testing, assignments etc...

As well, start the ball rolling and maybe look into the process of getting a deferral. I don't know how long that process takes or if you'd qualify, but better to start asking the questions now rather than at the last minute.

Archived