Premed 101 Forums

Specific Inference Questions (VR)

tms

Hi everyone,

I know that there are plenty of threads on the forum with tips and strategies for Verbal and I have gone through many of them already.

I am particularly having a difficult time with specific inference questions that are supposed to be based on the passage (I keep getting them wrong). I know that I need to pick an answer choice that closely mimics the passage and I do try to go back to the passage whenever possible but how do I prevent myself from falling into the traps for this particular question type. I end up narrowing it down to 2 choices and then I get stuck...I often pick the choice that has gone too far from the information in the passage while the right answer ends up being more like a quote out of the passage.

Any help on that? What should I do to prevent falling in the traps?

Thanks!

Inference questions are the most variable when it comes to difficulty. Sometimes the credited response requires looking through several relevant parts of the passage.

It's much easier to find something wrong with the other choices. Remember that even a single word (or even a letter in some cases) can make an answer incorrect. Another common trap on inference questions are answer choices that require outside knowledge, or are beyond the scope of the passage. Also be very suspicious of absolute wording and/or superlatives.

There are many more kinds of traps, but just actively use POE and you should see some improvement. Hopefully somebody who is much better at Verbal than me will come in here to help.

Hi everyone,

I know that there are plenty of threads on the forum with tips and strategies for Verbal and I have gone through many of them already.

I am particularly having a difficult time with specific inference questions that are supposed to be based on the passage (I keep getting them wrong). I know that I need to pick an answer choice that closely mimics the passage and I do try to go back to the passage whenever possible but how do I prevent myself from falling into the traps for this particular question type. I end up narrowing it down to 2 choices and then I get stuck...I often pick the choice that has gone too far from the information in the passage while the right answer ends up being more like a quote out of the passage.

Any help on that? What should I do to prevent falling in the traps?

Thanks!

If you can consistently narrow it down to 2 choices then you're on the right path (assuming you're not eliminating the right answer.) If your problem is extending the passage information then keep that in mind when making your selection. Look at each answer critically, and think 'Is the author really saying this, or do I have to make more assumptions to get the author to agree with this statement?' As a rule of thumb, if you can correctly minimize the assumptions you are making when answering the question, you will be much better off. Also, be aware of what assumptions you make and whether they are warranted or not.

Thanks guys!

There are some instances where I cross out the right answer on my first pass but I am having a hard time grasping this particular question type. I can identify the question when I see it and I do try to stick as close to the passage as possible (at that's what I tell myself when I see this type of question) but I don't know what happens, I keep getting these wrong. I did 4 practice passages yesterday and made many mistakes (all were specific inference questions, based on information from the passage).

Any guidance on how to approach these question?

Archived