Premed 101 Forums

UofT

It's not nearly as hard as everyone says, plenty of people here get the grades required for medical school and no, they are not all geniuses. You don't need to be brilliant to do well, you just need to be focused and willing to sit down and work hard.

Most people who will tell you that UofT is really hard either didn't know how to study, or worse, didn't really want to study. If you're in either category, stay away. If you're a hard and smart worker (and a little faith in your ability goes a long way), I can almost guarantee you that you'll be fine. UofT rewards effort, if nothing else.

I know of MANY MANY people who successfully made it into medicine coming out of U of T, many of them going to the best schools in Canada or the US, and they are normal people like everyone else who have made it... Honestly, the people who say that U of T is 'much harder' than other schools just don't know what they are talking about, and part of this has to do with the fact that the people from U of T who are really loud and vocal on U of T being an 'impossible' school are just trying to find excuses for their own academic missteps and failures. Oh, and Toronto is an amazing city.

Because it is extremely difficult to attain competitive grades for med school compared to other universities, although it is possible if not necessarily probable.

Please refrain from spewing totally misleading things like this unless you have actually done undergrad at U of T...

I found UofT to be difficult. I'm entering second year right now. I pulled off a "nice" GPA, so it is possible to do well. You'll be in for lots of work; I was initially unprepared for the workload and went through some very low points in first year (as in depressed). In the end, everything worked out. I learned to manage my time wisely and just be prepared to work.

I don't know if UofT is harder or requires more work than most other schools but I can tell you this. Some of my friends in other universities end up with higher marks than what they had in high school. I ended up with lower ones. But it doesn't really matter, they had mid 70s average in high school and went to what many would call a "crap" university.

OP, search this forum because I recently answered (with a comprehensive answer) another highschool student who posted your exact question. So I'm not going to repeat it here. I'm a UofT student with a 3.75 GPA for my 3rd year but my cumulative is 3.25. Trust me, UofT is another planet. I personally think its one of the hardest in North America, if not the world (its not the hardest in the world but definitely one of them). Actually. The level of students entering is so high and the class average is fixed so low. They really do get the cream of the crop. Best filtration system on the planet based on GPA.

So, UofT is bad for GPA, period.

I know of MANY MANY people who successfully made it into medicine coming out of U of T, many of them going to the best schools in Canada or the US, and they are normal people like everyone else who have made it... Honestly, the people who say that U of T is 'much harder' than other schools just don't know what they are talking about, and part of this has to do with the fact that the people from U of T who are really loud and vocal on U of T being an 'impossible' school are just trying to find excuses for their own academic missteps and failures. Oh, and Toronto is an amazing city.

Please refrain from spewing totally misleading things like this unless you have actually done undergrad at U of T...

How about you refrain from spewing totally misleading things based on what your friends said who may have been trying to deny the fact that their university is easier, just for the ego. Sure many get in medicine, but thats just a number, whats the proportion considering UofT's gigantic student size? I agree with FutureDoc 100%, and I had 95+% high school average and came in with 3 transfer credits (although 4 APs), 2330 SATII. High school was the biggest joke in the world to me. So before you decide to make UofT look less difficult for your ego or skepticism, know what you are talking about first hand. I'm doing undergrad here and I have hundreds of friends here, unlike you and your "many many" friends. So stop coming up with that philosophical BS that it is not hard just because its usually the students fault at other universities. UofT is really the one behind the low GPAs here for real reasons that I mentioned. Accept that your university is easier (no way means its worse at teaching than UofT which doesn't care whether you live or die) and that you will have a much higher chance of getting accepted to professional school for significantly less work. I'm sure almost everyone at UofT would do their undergrad somewhere else if they didn't have to switch out halfway in university. EVERYONE underestimated it. And everyone was hit from their egos. It's a funny situation. And yes, almost every university in North America, including your great noble McGill, is significantly easier than UofT. Class average is in the 60s for students who came in with high 80s and ACTUALLY studied hard (this is SECOND semester). Even in 3rd and 4th year, the class average stays <72%. At other universities, Mac, for example, class average is kept at 77% often. Total unfair **** because they're treated equally based on GPA (OMSAS shallowness). But you can choose where to go. I'm sure you'll go to UofT anyway...

How about you refrain from spewing totally misleading things based on what your ego-based friends said. I agree with FutureDoc 100%, and I had 95+% high school average. High school was the biggest joke in the world to me. So before you decide to make UofT look less difficult for your ego or skepticism, know what you are talking about first hand. I'm doing undergrad here and I have hundreds of friends here, unlike you and your 2 friends. So stop coming up with that philosophical BS that it is not hard just because its usually the students fault at other universities. UofT is really the one behind the low GPAs here.

This is coming from someone who thinks a 44 on the MCAT is not a big deal. Get Real.

OP. I've been to both UT (supposedly the "hardest" University) and York (Supposedly the "easiest" university). PM me if you have any questions regarding either University.

I read your other thread as well

No seriously, how the hell can it be so hard, its the same ****, you study for a test and go write it plus theres not as many assignments ive heard which just wastes time anyways... i could see myself studying for 7 courses 7 days a week and getting the 4.0 it makes sense to me, just come home study than go to sleep and review for exams - not far off high school. someone explain to me how this is so hard... no one even complains about the difficulty of a course either, they just say uni is hard...

I can tell you for sure if you keep this ^^^ attitude up, you will suffer no matter what university or program you attend.

This is coming from someone who thinks a 44 on the MCAT is not a big deal. Get Real.

OP. I've been to both UT (supposedly the "hardest" University) and York (Supposedly the "easiest" university). PM me if you have any questions regarding either University.

I never said its a big deal, its extremely hard and depends on luck. I realistically expect >35. 44 was my ideal goal to make myself work harder and maximize my score no matter what it would be.

you have been to uoft in the summer, when you took courses with failing students and the courses that are known to be easy so these students can at least pass. Just accept the fact that is repeated over years by actual UofT students who got in because of top high school marks. Stop saying they're complaining. We'd expect the proportion of students complaining to be the same from all universities if its their faults and not the universities, but the complaints are no where near the amount at UofT. Don't screw this kid over, it makes no difference where he attends, only his GPA. I have 3 years of experience, my GPA IS high, and I know hundreds of students, most of whom have 3.0 or less GPA. Class average also means average GPA is less than a 3.0. Whatever you say, trying to pick out irrelevant things just to prove that your institution is not easier, is just selfish and biased.

You're giving good advice on work ethic, but for UofT, no matter what your work ethic, your GPA will be lower. If it was a 3.9, it'd be a 4.0 elsewhere. If it was a 3.3, it would probably be a 3.8. I've seen the level of students at other universities and the work is by no way similar. We're ranked 19th in the world. All other Canadians aren't even in the 200 list. Trust someone who actually had years of experience in this uni, not some student dropping by on the summer taking one damn random course alone, and is attending another institution which would make him seem less intelligent if he admitted his was easier for getting his GPA.

Please nobody come into this thread and just add "University is doable if you study hard. All those students are weak and are just blaming the system to feel better. You can totally do it. They're just weak students. All universities are just as difficult" because you would be really hurting this guy because of ignorance. Have reliable information. Someone's life is on the line here. Consider it preventive medicine.

OP: Students do complain about specific courses but generally the complaints are about the university overall because all of the courses are required to maintain such a very low class average, so all their courses are tough due to the regulations. That's why they complain about the university, its this fixed 60-72% class average for most courses that everyone is upset with. It's significantly higher at other universities, or, occasionally, the students are generally less competitive. It's usually the former (class average). My thread may be tough, but it is a true review based on many trials, to help someone. I don't care if I sound like a "whiny kid", I'm giving you solid evidence. Decide for yourself.

OP. I've been to both UT (supposedly the "hardest" University) and York (Supposedly the "easiest" university).

lol I don't think a summer of taking one UofT course makes you an expert on UofT.

I actually agree with AshPreMed's post on this and we're both UofTers, so it's really up to the OP to decide whose advice holds more weight.

Getting a 3.7+ at UofT requires hard work and complete dedication. This means you will have to make a LOT of sacrifices, which often include time spent with friends and family. Most even have very little time left over for extracurriculars, which as we all know is important for your med school application.

At other universities, you will likely have a more balanced lifestyle and still be able to attain a high GPA.

I never said its a big deal, its extremely hard and depends on luck. I realistically expect >35. 44 was my ideal goal to make myself work harder and maximize my score no matter what it would be.

you have been to uoft in the summer, when you took courses with failing students and the courses that are known to be easy so these students can at least pass. Just accept the fact that is repeated over years by actual UofT students who got in because of top high school marks. Stop saying they're complaining. We'd expect the proportion of students complaining to be the same from all universities if its their faults and not the universities, but the complaints are no where near the amount at UofT. Don't screw this kid over, it makes no difference where he attends, only his GPA. I have 3 years of experience, my GPA IS high, and I know hundreds of students, most of whom have 3.0 or less GPA. Class average also means average GPA is less than a 3.0. Whatever you say, trying to pick out irrelevant things just to prove that your institution is not easier, is just selfish and biased.

You're giving good advice on work ethic, but for UofT, no matter what your work ethic, your GPA will be lower. If it was a 3.9, it'd be a 4.0 elsewhere. If it was a 3.3, it would probably be a 3.8. I've seen the level of students at other universities and the work is by no way similar. We're ranked 19th in the world. All other Canadians aren't even in the 200 list. Trust someone who actually had years of experience in this uni, not some student dropping by on the summer taking one damn random course alone, and is attending another institution which would make him seem less intelligent if he admitted his was easier for getting his GPA.

Please nobody come into this thread and just add "University is doable if you study hard. All those students are weak and are just blaming the system to feel better. You can totally do it. They're just weak students. All universities are just as difficult" because you would be really hurting this guy because of ignorance. Have reliable information. Someone's life is on the line here. Consider it preventative medicine. ;)

OP: Students do complain about specific courses but generally the complaints are about the university overall because all of the courses are required to maintain such a very low class average, so all their courses are tough due to the regulations. That's why they complain about the university, its this fixed 60-72% class average for most courses that everyone is upset with. It's significantly higher at other universities, or the students are generally less cut-throat.

I hope a moderator sees these personal attacks and do something about it.

I don't need to prove anything. The fact that you think I only took courses in the summer at UT, that only failing students take summer school, and that someone could never achieve a high GPA at UT no matter what his/her work ethics are, all show how ignorant you are.

I've only given out helpful posts on this forum and I like to keep it that way. As for you, you are just here to start up useless arguments, which serve no purpose other than to show your ignorance.

I'm not the type of person who argues with ignorant people who have no clue what they are talking about. This was my last response to you.

Well, good luck - some schools don't even award extra application points beyond an MCAT score of 34.

Most students at all schools have "average" GPAs and there will always be far more with lower marks than those at the top. The source of complaints may have more to do with the anonymous institutional and commuter nature of UofT - it's a far cry from my undergrad experience at a small Maritime school.

Probably the last thing that those rankings have anything to do with is the quality of undergraduate education. (And I'm quite sure that schools like McGill, Alberta, and UBC all figure in the top 200 in general, along with several others.)

Please nobody come into this thread and just add "University is doable if you study hard. All those students are weak and are just blaming the system to feel better. You can totally do it. They're just weak students. All universities are just as difficult" because you would be really hurting this guy because of ignorance. Have reliable information. Someone's life is on the line here. Consider it preventative medicine. ;)

University is doable if you study hard and seek help when you need it. Lots of people are unable or unwilling to work as hard as they need to or they choose programs for which they are not well suited. I'm better at arts/social science (writing) and biology courses (yay, rote memorization!) than some of the harder math courses I took.

OP: Students do complain about specific courses but generally the complaints are about the university overall because all of the courses are required to maintain such a very low class average, so all their courses are tough due to the regulations. That's why they complain about the university, its this fixed 60-72% class average for most courses that everyone is upset with. It's significantly higher at other universities, or the students are generally less cut-throat.

Looking at the averages of most of my undergrad classes, they were generally in the C to B range; this only didn't apply for senior seminars or other small classes with a handful of students. It's quite a long time ago now (I feel old), but the fall average of my first year calculus class was a D+. I think that rose to a C- in the winter. The same went for a lot of other intro-level classes and into second year. By the senior years many students have self-selected themselves into "easier" areas.

I do think it's also true that students are indeed less cut-throat at some other schools, at least from the anecdotes here and elsewhere. I was never a "premed" as an undergrad, but I never heard of the kind of nastiness or outright sabotage that has been recounted on this forum. It's really quite stunning.

Anyway, I've known even a few at Dal who went to UofT for undergrad and seemed to do fine. I think the key message is that only the top 5% (give or take) of undergrads likely have marks that would be competitive for professional/medical school admissions. That's pretty much the rule everywhere, whatever you might think about its being "easier" elsewhere.

lol I don't think a summer of taking one UofT course makes you an expert on UofT.

I actually agree with AshPreMed's post on this and we're both UofTers, so it's really up to the OP to decide whose advice holds more weight..

I'm a non-trad student. I hope that answers your question. You should ask people directly rather than blindly assuming someone else is right about that person.

This is my last post on this thread.

University of Toronto is full of great opportunities. Just be aware that the majority of the students are essentially thrown into a giant meat grinder/sausage maker. And that quality of meat that goes into it is quite awesome. I haven't met any meat in the Life/Physical Science program that do not have a MINIMUM average of 85 (although there are people who have had lower high school averages, but very rare meat). The largest sausage that comes out of the UofT meat grinder is the 2.5 GPA sausage. This is where a good majority of people go. Those who are unlucky end up in the "below 2.5 GPA" sausage. That sausage is pretty big and filled with quite a bit of meat as well but not as much as the 2.5 GPA sausage. Only 10% of the meat ends up in 3.5+ GPA sausages. This is actually true, if you have a 3.5 GPA at UofT, you are currently doing better than 90% of the meat in grinder (according to the Dean's List letter). 3.5 GPA isn't even enough to get into medical school and so there are even higher grades of sausages amongst the 90+ percentile sausages. There are roughly 100 people every year who make up the 4.0 GPA sausage. There's no better sausage than the 4.0 sausage. Generally that sausage is Asian Grade Meat.

I actually agree with AshPreMed's post on this and we're both UofTers, so it's really up to the OP to decide whose advice holds more weight.

Getting a 3.7+ at UofT requires hard work and complete dedication. This means you will have to make a LOT of sacrifices, which often include time spent with friends and family. Most even have very little time left over for extracurriculars, which as we all know is important for your med school application.

At other universities, you will likely have a more balanced lifestyle and still be able to attain a high GPA.

But I think that has a lot more to do with the fact that thousands of UofT students commute. If I'd lived in, say, Thornhill and commuted to UofT everyday, I'd have spent probably 90 minutes to 2 hours everyday just on buses and the subway. By contrast, I lived about a 25-30 minute walk from my undergrad campus (or otherwise a 2-minute drive).

I hope a moderator sees these personal attacks and do something about it.

I don't need to prove anything. The fact that you think I only took courses in the summer at UT, that only failing students take summer school, and that someone could never achieve a high GPA at UT no matter what his/her work ethics are, all show how ignorant you are.

I've only given out helpful posts on this forum and I like to keep it that way. As for you, you are just here to start up useless arguments, which serve no purpose other than to show your ignorance.

I'm not the type of person who argues with ignorant people who have no clue what they are talking about. This was my last response to you.

I'm sorry for offending you, but you have misunderstood me. I said the GPA would be higher at most other universities, even if it was high at UofT (3.9). Work ethic will in fact get you your GPA at UofT (even a 4.0, I ACTUALLY SAW SOMEONE'S TRANSCRIPT OF A FLAT 4.0 with some of the toughest courses). It's just that actually following the much more rigorous work ethic is a big challenge in itself, and that is the tough thing about UofT. Just look at the stats; are you going to argue with those? The only way to beat UofT is by work ethic. You are absolutely correct in every way on that. It's just that the OP could do even better at another university, and the work ethic required at UofT may mean less ECs anyway, although considerable amount do have good ECs. Time management is a person's savior and only savior at UofT.

I did not by anyway imply, nor do I think, that you are a failing student. Of course, you're not, you're on Premed101 damn it! :P Why would you be here otherwise? I think you've got good work ethic (from your past advice) and are a contributing members on this forum (more than me) as you've answered almost all my threads with honest feedback, which I appreciate a lot. I think you definitely want to help, by no way did I mean that you were maliciously trying to make him go to UofT, just that you, like everyone, may have had a small bias when judging UofT's difficulty, especially since you took a summer course which was on its own. Summer courses actually have about 3-5% higher class average, and at least half of the students are retakers (often not from failing (apologies for saying that earlier) but from marks that are not salvageable, such as 60%, which are a good amount in most courses). I think it would have been more reliable to have taken 4+ courses for at least one year, only. I was just being critical because your message seemed an exception from most reviews, perhaps because you're very smart.

I'm just judging the OP as an average student with high high school marks. I did not mean to attack you or insult you. I apologize for not being clearer. I appreciate that you gave a review anyway, no matter what your experience was, because the more reviews we get, the more accurate the overall conclusion would be. Your feedback was constructive, I was just giving some facts. I thought you made a conclusion that was based on a too small trial.

OP: I lived on residence for 3 years. I may have been in the best condition a UofT student could be in, and I'm very thankful for that. I was an executive for several clubs and sat on a couple university councils. These 5 hour per week activities may have contributed to a slightly lower mark. Obviously, when I was getting 3.3s, I was also not managing my time well. That means 3 hours per day wasted with friends or games, etc. When I got 3.7-3.8, I had to study more. :P.

But I think that has a lot more to do with the fact that thousands of UofT students commute. If I'd lived in, say, Thornhill and commuted to UofT everyday, I'd have spent probably 90 minutes to 2 hours everyday just on buses and the subway. By contrast, I lived about a 25-30 minute walk from my undergrad campus (or otherwise a 2-minute drive).

From what you've posted in this thread and elsewhere, it seems you had a really good experience at your undergrad school (I won't ask you to name it, since it seems you'e danced carefully around actually stating what school.) It seems like students from many maritime universities have similar things to say, even my parents who went to Mount A, so I'm hoping my experience will be as good at UPEI. :)

Just be aware that this meat grinding logic works well everywhere else. The relative size of the sausages are the same regardless of the school you go to. However, the quality of meat that starts in the sausage varies. And so now we have a person with an 85 high school average at UofT getting a 3.3 vs a person getting a 75 high school average at (insert non-UofT institution here) getting a 3.3. This is essentially the basis of argument for UofT being harder. Many UofT students feel self-entitled to some kind of benefit because their institution is <I>probably</I> harder. Despite the whining and crazy/cut-throat nature of UofT students; wouldn't you feel cheated if a person who screwed around in high school got a higher GPA than you (a person who actually studied and worked hard to get into a good institution such as UofT).

We're also a group of masochistic people who enjoy stress. My stress-free summer has been feeling slightly weird to me.

Again, the point I'm making is that UofT is hard. Although, I can't judge the relative value of hardness compared with other universities. I have a tendency to think we are the hardest university in Canada but that thought has no hardcore evidence to back it up other than what I outlined in my first paragraph (and that's not even hardcore evidence). I generally dismiss that thought and continue my life, wouldn't want people to think I'm some arrogant UofT student who deserves a form of entitlement for claiming to work harder than all other students.

University of Toronto is full of great opportunities. Just be aware that the majority of the students are essentially thrown into a giant meat grinder/sausage maker. And that quality of meat that goes into it is quite awesome. I haven't met any meat in the Life/Physical Science program that do not have a MINIMUM average of 85 (although there are people who have had lower high school averages, but very rare meat). The largest sausage that comes out of the UofT meat grinder is the 2.5 GPA sausage. This is where a good majority of people go. Those who are unlucky end up in the "below 2.5 GPA" sausage. That sausage is pretty big and filled with quite a bit of meat as well but not as much as the 2.5 GPA sausage. Only 10% of the meat ends up in 3.5+ GPA sausages. This is actually true, if you have a 3.5 GPA at UofT, you are currently doing better than 90% of the meat in grinder (according to the Dean's List letter). 3.5 GPA isn't even enough to get into medical school and so there are even higher grades of sausages amongst the 90+ percentile sausages. There are roughly 100 people every year who make up the 4.0 GPA sausage. There's no better sausage than the 4.0 sausage. Generally that sausage is Asian Grade Meat.

That is quite an interesting metaphor, to say the least. I think that the distribution of GPAs is roughly the same at every University though. I guess the only counter argument is that perhaps the students that go to UofT may have a slightly higher average in high school than at some other institutions. Granted, high school performance is not the best indicator of University performance.

As much as I know Ash will not appreciate me saying this, it is absolutely possible to maintain a competitive GPA while still finding time for ECs and volunteering. After all, there are students that get into medical school every year from UofT (I wouldn't know the exact number though).

Disclaimer: I do not go to UofT

Well, I never said it's easy. It's definitely difficult. In fact, that's what makes it so rewarding.

I remember from your earlier posts that you have a competitive GPA at UofT, so hopefully you will have more time to get involved. Trust me, if you enjoy what you're doing you will find that you'll have enough time.

Well, I never said it's easy. It's definitely difficult. In fact, that's what makes it so rewarding.

I remember from your earlier posts that you have a competitive GPA at UofT, so hopefully you will have more time to get involved. Trust me, if you enjoy what you're doing you will find that you'll have enough time.

Absolutely. Time management is a very good skill to have as a competitor anyway. ;)

Hey I just (2 months ago) finished my first year at UofT life science. And all I can say is that its been one hell of a ride (and I'm not talking about the terrible commute from scarborough to downtown, I generally catch up on my sleep during those precious 30-40 mins). I probably averaged 6 hour of sleep per night (with the exception of weekends). Spent a ****load of time in the library. Looked like crap for half the years because I was drugged up on stress due to exams. Thinking back, I realize how stressful everything was. At the back of my mind there was always a nagging voice telling me to do my readings, and assignments and labs and problem sets.

my first year gpa was 3.90 which I was so proud that it made me want to cry :'(

I love the whole 85+/4.0 business. I can tell you that I had like 3-4 courses that were right on the dot 85. Overall my percent average is roughly 86%. This is essentially a 5%-6% drop from my grade 12 average. The courses I took were BIO120/130, CHM151, PSY100, PHY131/132, MAT135/136, ENV100 (it my elective and birdcourse which was sadly my lowest mark).

I just want to say that it is definitely possible to achieve a good GPA at UofT. I don't go to Trinity (since I didn't have a 98 average in highschool). I didn't get to involved at UofT simply because I was trying to get accustomed to this workload.

Here's a hero, for example. :P

Archived