Premed 101 Forums

Compressed Nursing programs Without a completed undergrad degree

jlyjak

I'm starting my second year at U of T, doing an HBSc in bio and psych, but I am set on nursing and would like to transfer to any nursing program as soon as possible. In most of the threads I've read, students accepted to 2 year compressed nursing programs had one or more degrees or were on track to receive their degree (completing their final year).

Do students have any chance of getting into compressed nursing programs in Ontario with minimum requirements (ie. 10 credits completed, good GPA and have all pre-requisites) or do I have a better chance of becoming a nurse by just starting my undergrad again but in a 4 year program?

Also, from the research that I have done, most schools require about a 3.0 CGPA. Does anyone who has applied recently know the cut-offs at schools in Ontario, since I'm assuming the cut-off GPA is much higher than a 3.0.

Thank you SO much for the help, and I really appreciate it !

I did the program at Ottawa U and spots are limited so it was very competitive - most of us had fairly high GPAs. That said, every school is different spout best bet is to contact the departments and ask.

I think you likely have a better chance of doing the 4 year program - you should just apply to both and see! Or start the 4 year nursing program and you still have the option of getting into the accelerated program if you boost your GPA.

Hope that helps!!

• 3 weeks later...
Define "fairly high" please if you don't mind. (or ballpark)

Thanks!

I had an A- average when I applied and most of us in the program finished with an A average or above. It's always worth it to apply to multiple programs because you never know and each school is different.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Apply at Lakehead, the compressed program is 3 years though. I applied with 1.5 years of BSc, approx 71% average from that degree. I also applied to the 4 year program, got accepted to the compressed but not the 4 year lol. Graduated the compressed with a 3.85 GPA. Showed them... lol anyways :P

Archived