Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch Description

Guest Dimon

Guest Dimon

I could be mistaken, but hasn't there been quite a large reduction in the maximum number of characters allowed in the description. and last year there was a separate box for the name of the activity, but now it seems as if we have to combine the name of the activity, and a description of it with even fewer characters. whats going on with this??

Does anyone know if using short forms is frowned upon in the description?

And also for point form, do you literally use bullets? for example:

- point 1

- point 2

- etc...

Because the OMSAS booklet states that point form is good for descriptions.

When I was planning out my sketch I was thinking of writing it like "With this summer research position, I grew cell cultures for study, etc"; but that is not considered point form.

Can anyone please advise me on the best way to go about this? I don't want the character limit to hinder my ability to describe my activities.

Does anyone know if using short forms is frowned upon in the description?

And also for point form, do you literally use bullets? for example:

- point 1

- point 2

- etc...

Because the OMSAS booklet states that point form is good for descriptions.

When I was planning out my sketch I was thinking of writing it like "With this summer research position, I grew cell cultures for study, etc"; but that is not considered point form.

Can anyone please advise me on the best way to go about this? I don't want the character limit to hinder my ability to describe my activities.

I personally used short forms though I made sure these were ones that most people knew about. For instance, I used @ = at; +/& = and; between = b/w; with = w/ etc. I didn't use point form like how you have written it. With your example, I would suggest saying "grew cell cultures for study (add some more description about skills you developed etc.) because you would've already indicated that this was a summer research position when you listed the activity. Leave the 150 characters to just describing what you did rather than restating your position. I wrote brief blog post about this today lol. I also know Tesla extensively commented on this last year (just use the search function to look up that thread =).

To add to what Cass said, you can use point form, but think of it more as short sentences.

e.g. Instead of "While I was in Africa, I rebuilt an entire city, saved 1000 children in despair from a well, and won a Nobel prize" you could say "Rebuilt city, saved 1000 kids from well & won Nobel prize.'

Archived