Premed 101 Forums

6 Courses in One semester

Jarven

Is this smart? Essentially there is a conflict between BIO260 and CHM249 in the second semester, so my only choice is to not take BIO260 and take HMB265 (I can take either BIO260 or HMB265 for my program) in my first semester. In my first semester I will be taking...

PSL301 (Physiology I)

CHM220 (Physical Chem for Life Science)

BIO230 [Genes to Organism(?)]

STA220 (Stats, Can't be a Doctor/Scientist without knowing how to gamble :cool: )

BCH210 (Biochemistry)

And now I will be adding HMB265 (Genetic concepts and humans or something...)

Based on the courses I will be taking, would this course load be too high?

Plus those above courses are essential for my program.

It depends on if you think you can handle it. I thought I could and took 6 courses last semester while IAing a 2nd year course and volunteering during the week.

Only thing that pulled me down was 1 course which I bombed and caused my other 5 classes to drop as well. Could have had a 3.5+ gpa last semester but I don't think you want to know what I ended up with lol

Why would you take 6 courses? Why would you make things hard for yourself? The only reasons for taking 6 courses that makes sense are i) if you want to graduate early, or ii) if u have to take some courses for your subject POSt this year so that your schedule won't be really awkward/f*ed up in subsequent years (ie you have a lot of prereqs to take in 2nd or 3rd year that you'll need for the next year)

Jarven said:
Is this smart? Essentially there is a conflict between BIO260 and CHM249 in the second semester, so my only choice is to not take BIO260 and take HMB265 (I can take either BIO260 or HMB265 for my program) in my first semester. In my first semester I will be taking...

PSL301 (Physiology I)

CHM220 (Physical Chem for Life Science)

BIO230 [Genes to Organism(?)]

STA220 (Stats, Can't be a Doctor/Scientist without knowing how to gamble :cool: )

BCH210 (Biochemistry)

And now I will be adding HMB265 (Genetic concepts and humans or something...)

Based on the courses I will be taking, would this course load be too high?

Plus those above courses are essential for my program.

-

I've taken 22 credits - 7 full courses and a 1-credit "bird" course - in one term. Did my GPA suffer? No, actually... I ended up with the second highest term GPA I've ever achieved. But I put almost all volunteering on hiatus, and had almost no social life outside of school. It was easy in a sense because I was wholly focussed on academics, but it was still a lot of work.

Would I do it again? No way. :P I wouldn't do it if you aren't confident in your ability to do well, and even then, if you find yourself struggling, be honest with yourself and drop a course during the term - even if you lose out on the tuition you paid.

***This was 16 credits of engineering, 3 credits of math, and 3 credits of biochemistry. Studying for engineering courses is different for me - I don't think I'd be able to pull off 22 credits of all science courses with the same results to be honest, since my grade would depend much more on knowing details and minutiae than overall concepts.

I'm in pretty much the same situation, first semester I have

PSL300

BIO230

MAT235

STA220

BCH210

PHY224.

I took 6 courses second semester of first year and it wasn't too bad. Just think of it this way, whenever someone studies for 2 hours in a day, you do 2.5 hours and you're ahead of them. :P

Archived