Premed 101 Forums

Piano practice rooms at UBC?

This is sort of random, but any help would be appreciated. Some of the housing facilities have piano rooms available for students to practice, but it's my understanding that where I'll be staying does not.

Is anyone aware of facilities on UBC campus that offer a piano practice room?

I have a keyboard, but it's quite large to transport over.

Hi Cerena,

I'm quite certain that there is one at totem park residence.

I think it is in the same building as cafeteria. However, one thing I'm not sure is

whether if it is open to anyone. So I think it is in your best interest to check this

out with a residence advisor.

Hope I helped!

Hi Cerena,

I'm quite certain that there is one at totem park residence.

I think it is in the same building as cafeteria. However, one thing I'm not sure is

whether if it is open to anyone. So I think it is in your best interest to check this

out with a residence advisor.

Hope I helped!

Hi zenith,

Thank you for the reply! I'm going to inquire about this, as I know there are a couple of other housing buildings that have piano practice rooms (I feel somewhat disappointed with mine!).

I think most if not all residences have pianos. However the best ones in my opinion are in totem and gage. Totem's is a yamaha grand and gage's is a recently refurbished one (the keys were horribly cracked) but now it's awesome! Totem's I think is in the ball room, and you can use it if nobody's using it, and gage's is in the recreation room with ping pong tables and it's generally free any time for student use. Correct me if I'm wrong! I'm not really familiar with totem's because I only played there once but I go to Gage at least... Twice a week during exams to stress out.

You can always head to the music building to some of the piano rooms. All the rooms do require keys but most of the time there's at least one room with its door open for someone to use. Basement and second floor piano rooms are typically uprights because they're usually used for accompanying other instrumental soloists and most of the third floor piano rooms are grands, some steinways because they're used for piano majors. Try to go there when it's not so busy (after 5) when most students are done class/are stuck in rehearsal.

I think most if not all residences have pianos. However the best ones in my opinion are in vanier and gage. Vanier's is a yamaha grand and gage's is a recently refurbished one (the keys were horribly cracked) but now it's awesome!

You can always head to the music building to some of the piano rooms. All the rooms do require keys but most of the time there's at least one room with its door open for someone to use. Basement and second floor piano rooms are typically uprights because they're usually used for accompanying other instrumental soloists and most of the third floor piano rooms are grands, some steinways because they're used for piano majors. Try to go there when it's not so busy (after 5) when most students are done class/are stuck in rehearsal.

Gage has a piano room? Are you completely sure?

If so, how did I miss this?! Thanks! Good thing I asked :)

This is sort of random, but any help would be appreciated. Some of the housing facilities have piano rooms available for students to practice, but it's my understanding that where I'll be staying does not.

Is anyone aware of facilities on UBC campus that offer a piano practice room?

I have a keyboard, but it's quite large to transport over.

Electronic keyboard with earphones in your bedroom works. :P

Archived