Premed 101 Forums

New Degree - Not A Fresh Start???

Hi All,

I imagine this gets posted quite often and for that I apologize in advance.

I'll just get into it though and hopefully someone will be kind enough to help out.

So many moons ago (only 5 years ago =P) I was young and dumb and ended up doing only 1 year of university. While in university I decided early on I was going to become a paramedic and literally no longer cared for my grades. At one point I had dropped so many courses that if I dropped one more I would be kicked out of residence so I kept a lonely chemistry course i do believe is going to haunt me at present. I didn't show up to 1 class....didn't write any exams and thus received a 13% (how I received such a high mark is beyond me =D).

After that I got into college and completed the paramedic grades with a low 90% average (doesn't matter though it was college courses).

Now after 3 years on the road as a medic I just was accepted into a Bachelor of Science.

I truthfully believe I can get a GPA of 3.7-3.8 over the next 4 years if I apply myself (hats off to all you 4.0 GPA....that's just crazy)

My question to you all is.........even though I'm starting a brand new degree......and even though its 4 years long and im taking a full course load start to finish........When I go to apply to med schools is that 13% chemistry mark (And 72% philosophy, 63% biology) that is 7 years old going to come up in my GPA?

AKA.......Should I not even bother?

I appreciate any input at all.....and I do imagine I will get ripped apart for not dropping that course.....but like I said......I was young and dumb and hats off to anyone who said they wanted to be a doctor their whole life.....I wasn't one of them.

There are several schools that have weighting formulae that will benefit you. U of T, for instance, drops your three worst marks if you apply after third year, four if you apply after your degree is complete. U of O, I believe, considers only your most recent three years. Dal, Queen's, UWO, and a few others that don't come immediately to mind, look at only your best or most recent two full time years. I know Mac and MUN look at all courses ever taken, but not all schools do that.

Reading lots of threads on this site, it's clear lots of people have a year or two of undergrad that has haunted them a bit, but still manage to get in by applying strategically and working on other parts of their application (ECs, MCAT) to help make up for a weaker GPA.

Plus, you being a paramedic is something that will give you great insight and look really awesome on an application, I think.

Don't lose hope! It's still doable. :)

You should bother ... when you consider that is only 3 courses out of an another 40 courses you will have to take, those three courses wont have AS huge an impact as you imagine though they will impact you.

Heck I got into Med this year and if you look at my early university transcript you will find one D, one F and an Incomplete. Of course that was my first degree and they only looked at my second but you get the gist that those 3 shouldnt ruin things totally

There are several schools that have weighting formulae that will benefit you. U of T, for instance, drops your three worst marks if you apply after third year, four if you apply after your degree is complete. U of O, I believe, considers only your most recent three years. Dal, Queen's, UWO, and a few others that don't come immediately to mind, look at only your best or most recent two full time years. I know Mac and MUN look at all courses ever taken, but not all schools do that.

Weighting formula only applies if you are taking full-course load every year. OP doesn't qualify for this.

OP, a new degree is definitely a good idea. Just make sure you do really well, or else you will be wasting time and money.

You should bother ... when you consider that is only 3 courses out of an another 40 courses you will have to take, those three courses wont have AS huge an impact as you imagine though they will impact you.

Heck I got into Med this year and if you look at my early university transcript you will find one D, one F and an Incomplete. Of course that was my first degree and they only looked at my second but you get the gist that those 3 shouldnt ruin things totally

Good job getting in this year RB!

Archived