Premed 101 Forums

Changes this year?

I thought I'd start a thread to track and highlight changes in the admission process this year.

When I get back, I will also be posting a few sections on some of the changes to our application process for this coming cycle. Some minor, but for some people important, changes have been adopted. Hows that for a teaser…..

That was posted on the blog...

I just glanced it over but do we no longer have 30 activities and just gave employment history to give? Or did I just miss that section?

This is what is sounds like to me as well. Top 10 activities, plus separate sections for employment, awards, and publications. Last year's manual specifically specified that there were were spots for activities, but maybe they changed that this year.

This is what is sounds like to me as well. Top 10 activities, plus separate sections for employment, awards, and publications. Last year's manual specifically specified that there were were spots for activities, but maybe they changed that this year.

So they've eliminated the 30 activities altogether? Where do we put non-employment like volunteering and what not?

So they've eliminated the 30 activities altogether? Where do we put non-employment like volunteering and what not?

I guess volunteering, etc, etc, would all go under top 10. (???) We're going to have to be very selective this year it looks like. We'll see when it opens Friday evening.

It doesn't look like we will have the opportunity to put more than 10 plus work experience. It's kind of a bummer for people who a lot of smaller activities or people who have moved a lot... dang.

Don't worry too much about the length of time committed to each activity. Most of the activities outlined in my application were very short-lived (<40 hours total). It's much more of a matter of how well you describe the activity and what you gained from the experience that will help you in your future as a physician (i.e. the CanMeds competencies).

Don't worry too much about the length of time committed to each activity. Most of the activities outlined in my application were very short-lived (<40 hours total). It's much more of a matter of how well you describe the activity and what you gained from the experience that will help you in your future as a physician (i.e. the CanMeds competencies).

+1

I think this was my case too. One of my top 10 was a volunteer activity that I just started, but it was significant to me because it kind of symbolize a changing point.

Anyone else getting the message "- Hours required" (even after entering hours) when clicking "Add Employment" ?

Also, if you accidentally click "Submit" (which is very close to "Save for Later"!) will you subsequently be unable to make changes to that section?

Anyone else getting the message "- Hours required" (even after entering hours) when clicking "Add Employment" ?

Also, if you accidentally click "Submit" (which is very close to "Save for Later"!) will you subsequently be unable to make changes to that section?

I got the same message as well.

From Dr. Walker's blog:

"The new application cycle is open, and despite a lot of effort this week trying to work out the kinks, it is not working properly. We are well aware of the problems, and will get on them first thing next week. In the meantime, you can work on the things that do work. Do not lose sleep over the things that do not. The files themselves are stable, in the sense that anything you put in will remain as we fix the issues that exist. I’ll post again once we think it is working properly, and starting in August, will start posting some thoughts about the application process itself and the changes for this year. Stay tuned."

Also, if you do hit submit, you can still change stuff later. Hitting submit just marks the section as complete in the overall checklist of your application.

Archived