Premed 101 Forums

Changes this year?

it says members of the canadian forces reserves are no longer considered in province????? But in past years reserves were considered in province. W$F

Well, that makes sense. Reservists aren't "forced" to move anywhere to remain in the military, whereas members of the regular force don't have much of a say as to where they are posted - they go where the military sends them! Yes, they do meet with their career manager and can ask to stay in a certain area, or ask to move to a certain area, but there are no guarantees - if the military needs you to move, you move, or you get out.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that members of the regular force don't get to choose where they live; members of the reserve force do.

Well, that makes sense. Reservists aren't "forced" to move anywhere to remain in the military, whereas members of the regular force don't have much of a say as to where they are posted - they go where the military sends them! Yes, they do meet with their career manager and can ask to stay in a certain area, or ask to move to a certain area, but there are no guarantees - if the military needs you to move, you move, or you get out.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that members of the regular force don't get to choose where they live; members of the reserve force do.

Considering that reservists go through the same training as reg force and we go on deployments anywhere in Canada risking our lives. We should be given ip status. The rule doesn't make sense becaue the only people in regular force that have even went to university are officers everyone else has high school education

Considering that reservists go through the same training as reg force and we go on deployments anywhere in Canada risking our lives. We should be given ip status. The rule doesn't make sense becaue the only people in regular force that have even went to university are officers everyone else has high school education

Yes, I know what both reservists and regular force members do. My husband was a reservist during his university days, then went reg force when he graduated. The fact of the matter is that when he was a reservist, the army didn't tell him he had to move to a different province. Sure, he went to different provinces for his training and exercises (or on deployments), but the army couldn't tell him "sorry, you can't live in St. John's any longer, we are sending you to Ottawa." However, when he was reg force, they could and did tell him "sorry, we are posting you to Ottawa." He had to go (or get out).

Despite your claim of being in the reserves, you clearly don't know much about the Canadian Forces. There are actually (gasp!) university-educated individuals in the ranks (ie. not officers). Yes, it happens, believe it or not. I could tell you some stories about people not getting all the details from recruiting centres when they joined up, etc.

There are also members of the regular force, who may be junior officers, but who have decided to change careers and apply to medical school. Yet, they remain IN the reg force until they know that they have actually been accepted to a medical school somewhere.

Again, it comes down to the fact that the Canadian Forces doesn't tell reservists where to live. You get to choose what province you live in. Regular Force members do not have that luxury. They can ask the career manager for specific locations (normally for family reasons), but when it comes right down to it, if the army needs you in a specific location, you'll be sent there. And you have to go, or you have to get out (or you can go IR if you have permission to leave your family where you have been living and just the member themselves moves for the duration of the posting.)

Quick question- under the "Transcripts" section, it seems to ask you to enter the start/end dates of each term. Does that mean I have to go back and find my start of term dates from each year of undergrad?

That's what I did. If you can't find the exact dates, just enter the approximate date.

Anyone knows if UCalgary looks at Percentage or GPA if both are reflected, such as in the case of UofT Transcripts?

They'll take your percentage grades and convert them to a Gpa based on the u of c scale. It'll be the same as your omsas Gpa.

They'll take your percentage grades and convert them to a Gpa based on the u of c scale. It'll be the same as your omsas Gpa.

It may actually be slightly different than your OMSAS GPA as Calgary's scale has more precise increments for their GPA scores. It won't be a big difference however.

There is also a new form that graduate students have to have signed with their supervisor for the application, stating whether they intend to finish their graduate degree, apply to LiM, or withdraw.

This form sounds like it only applies to students in a thesis-based graduate program. I am wondering how they would deal with a course-based graduate program? I don't have a supervisor to sign my form!

Has anyone heard/read anything about this?

EDIT: Dr. Walker addressed this on the blog here.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else had trouble entering items under employment? It keeps asking me for hours when I hit the add tab... I have tried three different browsers..

It's still glitchy apparently. Dr. Walker said he'd update his blog when it was all running smoothly. In the meantime, we're supposed to just fill in what we can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what he said:

"Last comment on the topic for now – The way it is configured, you will notice that it is Top 10 Experiences, not Top 10 Activities. What this means is that you can collapse more than one related activity into a single experience. If I have a longstanding committment to working with the homeless, for instance, one of my Top 10 would be “working with the homeless” and I would then talk about what i have done, over what period of time and what it has meant to me. I would not feel the need to list each specific activity separately. Yes, that will mean that you may need more than one verifier. Go for the best fit, and if we are concerned we will contact you for more details."

Archived