Premed 101 Forums

Please review my second year course selection (UWO)

Hey all,

I've been having some concerns about my second year course selections in that I'm worried that it's too much. Please let me know what you think.

A term

Biochem 2280A (3 lecture hours)

Neuroscience 2000 (3 lecture hours)

Compsci 2120A (3 lecture hours, 2 lab hours, looks rough, i've no previous programming experience)

Calc 1000A (4 lecture hours)

Physics 1028A (3 lecture hours plus 3 hour lab)

B term

Cell Bio 2382B (3 lecture hours)

Neuroscience 2000 (3 lec hours)

Biostats 2244B (2 lecture hours plus 3 lab hours)

Psych 2220B (Introduction to Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience) (3 lecture hours)

Physics 1029B (3 lec hours plus 3 hour lab)

I could possibly take the physics in the summer but it will be a big pain in the butt. I could swap it with Psych 2800E (Research methods in psych) or an arbitrary bird.

Thanks everybody.

A term

Biochem 2280A (3 lecture hours)

Neuroscience 2000 (3 lecture hours)

Compsci 2120A (3 lecture hours, 2 lab hours, looks rough, i've no previous programming experience)

Calc 1000A (4 lecture hours)

Physics 1028A (3 lecture hours plus 3 hour lab)

Your second term is reasonable, but your first term is difficult, primarily because computer science has a steep learning curve for beginners and you may feel overwhelmed. Otherwise, this is pretty typical of undergrad, because there's no such thing as an easy schedule after first year.

what is your program? did you switch into BSc after 1st year in something else?

Yup, switched into an honors BSc with the intent of eventually switching into the neurosci program (right now I'm double majoring in bio and psych this year so I can shadow the second year neurosci module). Was in Kin first year.

Your second term is reasonable, but your first term is difficult, primarily because computer science has a steep learning curve for beginners and you may feel overwhelmed. Otherwise, this is pretty typical of undergrad, because there's no such thing as an easy schedule after first year.

yea i would agree, biochem requires you put the study hours in but it is fairly straight forward material and zinki physics (1028) shouldn't be too bad either. Do you need the compsci for your program or are you just interested in it as an elective?

Yea, that's what i thinking as well. however, that comp sci course is actually intended for students with no previous programming background, so im hoping it will be a bit easier. its good to hear u found the second term reasonable tho, thats what i was looking to hear.

Not at the moment. It is not required for neurosci. (Link in case u want to see the course selection guideline)

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/undergraduate-program-in-neuroscience/files/Linked/April%202012_HSP%20Neuroscience%20Guideline.pdf

ok cool, well since genetics is not required you seem to be on the right track, just put in the study hours and you will be fine, i think you've created a manageable schedule. maybe consider if you really need/want to take compsci if you feel uneasy about the course load

yea i would agree, biochem requires you put the study hours in but it is fairly straight forward material and zinki physics (1028) shouldn't be too bad either. Do you need the compsci for your program or are you just interested in it as an elective?

need it. because i havent completed 1.0 math, i cannot take psych 2810 (psych stats) which is the alternative for the compsci 2120+ stats 2244 combo. just going to have to grab my balls and tough it out here

ok cool, well since genetics is not required you seem to be on the right track, just put in the study hours and you will be fine, i think you've created a manageable schedule. maybe consider if you really need/want to take compsci if you feel uneasy about the course load

sounds good. thanks for the advice. congratulations on getting into schulich, that is absolutely fantastic. good luck next year

need it. because i havent completed 1.0 math, i cannot take psych 2810 (psych stats) which is the alternative for the compsci 2120+ stats 2244 combo. just going to have to grab my balls and tough it out here

haha well good luck, i think you will be fine in terms of the course load, its just up to you to put in the hours and hit the books.

Archived