Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Placements - first year

I was wondering if any upper years could give me more info about the clinical placements we do in first (and second?) year. I noticed during course registration that this is an actual course (ELE 1900). I'm just wondering if/how we are graded. Also, do we choose our placements or are we cycled through different specialties? How many specialties do we get to do? How many times a week/hours do we do this for? If we can pick, should we choose placements in areas we are considering for residency?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering how things will work. Thanks!

I was wondering if any upper years could give me more info about the clinical placements we do in first (and second?) year. I noticed during course registration that this is an actual course (ELE 1900). I'm just wondering if/how we are graded. Also, do we choose our placements or are we cycled through different specialties? How many specialties do we get to do? How many times a week/hours do we do this for? If we can pick, should we choose placements in areas we are considering for residency?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering how things will work. Thanks!

There are a couple different things they might mean - I'm not sure what the exact course code would be referring to.

1) At the end of 1st year (i.e. last week of May), you do a rural/community week in places like Cornwall or Pembroke (two common ones). You can request size of town, and then eventually specialities, but you're not really guaranteed anything.

2) Thursday afternoons you have Physician Skill Development (PSD) which is pretty much what it sounds like. You learn to take a history, do exams for different systems, etc. There is a clinical component, e.g. we spent an afternoon in CHEO when we were learning peds exams. Often uses standardized patients (actors). This continues through 2nd year.

3) You do 3 (I think) afternoons in a family physician office in Ottawa. Again, you can request based on location but there is no guarantee. I think we did 4 afternoons in 2nd year (usually with same physician). Experience varies with preceptor, but definitely clinical

All of the above are Pass/Fail (like everything else in 1st and 2nd year, P = MD)

What you're talking about sounds more along the lines of electives, which are optional (...hence the name). They'll give you a run down of how it works in the first month at some point, but basically you set up time(s) through whatever department/specialty you're interested in to spend 10+ hours with a physician(s). This is where you'll get more and often the best exposure to different specialities. Don't worry about this stuff now (especially since there's nothing you can do about anything) - enjoy the rest of your summer!!

Archived