Premed 101 Forums

Applying to UK from Canada with UK citizenship

Hi,

I am currently completing my master's at McGill, did my undergrad at McGill too, and have dual Canadian/British citizenship.

I am already planning on applying to McGill (Quebec resident), Toronto, McMaster and Queens, but am also considering returning to the UK, to study and practice.

In terms of applying to Medical school in the UK, I am aware there is a number of schools with graduate entry programs, does anyone have any insight onto how they assess Canadian applicants? I know many of them state that an honours degree is required. Anyone know if a master's degree can be substituted for this? Also, do I need to write the BMAT, UKCAT etc?

My stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.5

Graduate GPA: 4.0

MCAT (taking in August, last practice was 32).

Extracurriculars: Research experience, publications, hospital volunteering, intramurals, student society executive.

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you. I also have dual Canadian/British citizenship and plan to apply to the UK for 2013, as well as the Ontario schools. I have a BScH (OMSAS GPA 3.64) and an MSc (from Queen's and OttawaU, respectively).

It seems that most UK schools require the UCKAT, whereas Oxford/Cambridge now require the BMAT, so I plan on writing both. It depends on where you are hoping to attend, but I believe you will need to write one or the other.

I am not sure about how the MSc degrees are considered by the UK schools.

Does anyone have any more information on this?

I am in the same boat as you. I also have dual Canadian/British citizenship and plan to apply to the UK for 2013, as well as the Ontario schools. I have a BScH (OMSAS GPA 3.64) and an MSc (from Queen's and OttawaU, respectively).

It seems that most UK schools require the UCKAT, whereas Oxford/Cambridge now require the BMAT, so I plan on writing both. It depends on where you are hoping to attend, but I believe you will need to write one or the other.

I am not sure about how the MSc degrees are considered by the UK schools.

Does anyone have any more information on this?

Hi,

I am currently completing my master's at McGill, did my undergrad at McGill too, and have dual Canadian/British citizenship.

I am already planning on applying to McGill (Quebec resident), Toronto, McMaster and Queens, but am also considering returning to the UK, to study and practice.

In terms of applying to Medical school in the UK, I am aware there is a number of schools with graduate entry programs, does anyone have any insight onto how they assess Canadian applicants? I know many of them state that an honours degree is required. Anyone know if a master's degree can be substituted for this? Also, do I need to write the BMAT, UKCAT etc?

My stats:

Extracurriculars: Research experience, publications, hospital volunteering, intramurals, student society executive.

You do need to take UKCAT for most of the schools!

I don't think Birmingham wants one

BMAT is again not for all schools- if I remember well, Oxford wants BMAT

People who I know done both

It depends on the applicant..some people find BMAT a lot harder

For the quickest respone ...Your best bet is to call the university admission

you gotta make sure you talk to the "admission team"

Do consider checking whether you can take BMAT/UKCAT in canada or not ..cause I don't think you can. UKCAT is done by this company called Pearson.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

Make sure you won't miss the deadlines for UKCAT/BMAT..I would book a place right now if you serious about applying this year

• 5 weeks later...
Hi,

My stats:

Hey!

1) So "honors" means something else in the uk than it does here, it means you achieved a GPA of 3.6 in the program, not necessarily that you were in the "honors" program. As for if they take grad school info into account, they do however, also take high school and undergrad into account, but it's to the discretion of the University, so like the other guy said, best bet is to email the university. I don't think it can be "substituted", but it may bring the overall average up to an acceptable "honors" level.

2) There are only a couple BMAT universities, which do include Oxbridge, Imperial, I think King's too. I can't rememebr the entire list but I know you can easily google it. Luckily a lot of the GEPs don't require BMAT, even if when the school leaver programs do.

As for taking the BMAT and the UKCAT. Yes, you can take them in Canada. UKCAT is pretty simple, and you can't really study for it as it is supposed to be more of an inteligence test than anything else (I did mine last week and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). You can schedule the UKCAT to take place virtually in any city in canada, and basically any time. It's not like MCAT where there are only some places and seats fill up fast. I freaked out 3 days before my exam and moved it two days later and there was no charge and no problem.

BMAT has only one scheduled date each year, this year I believe it is Nov 7. It's more like the mcat except that it has an added math section, and (as you'll find with UKCAT) the timing is crucial, you're not actually meant to finish the exam. Also you can only take it in Toronto.

One thing to consider about applying to BMAT universities is that the UCAS deadline is Oct 15, and the day you write the BMAT is Nov 7. This means that if you messed up your BMAT, you can't change the universities you are applying to, and so you have basically wasted those spots in your application that could have been used to apply to a non BMAT university.

Hope this helps!

Archived