Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply in my 1st year of MSc?

Hello everyone,

I have recently completed my undergrad with decent gpa (overall 92%; with last 3 yrs 97%+) & extra-curriculars (VR score is not very high tho). I'm starting a 2 year Master's program in September. I'm exploring the option of applying to medical schools that don't require mcat this year. I understand that this option has its pros (i.e. saving a year, self-preference & passion, learning the process) & cons (i.e. if accepted into medicine: might have difficulty managing the two programs, might have to drop out of Master's, might affect funding options)... Ideally, I would like to finish my Master's but I am too eager to get into medical school, thus interested to apply and then see how I could manage both the thesis & medical school... Now the question is should I apply this year?

I'd appreciate the advice from all; particularly those who went through similar process.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I have recently completed my undergrad with decent gpa (overall 92%; with last 3 yrs 97%+) & extra-curriculars (VR score is not very high tho). I'm starting a 2 year Master's program in September. I'm exploring the option of applying to medical schools that don't require mcat this year. I understand that this option has its pros (i.e. saving a year, self-preference & passion, learning the process) & cons (i.e. if accepted into medicine: might have difficulty managing the two programs, might have to drop out of Master's, might affect funding options)... Ideally, I would like to finish my Master's but I am too eager to get into medical school, thus interested to apply and then see how I could manage both the thesis & medical school... Now the question is should I apply this year?

I'd appreciate the advice from all; particularly those who went through similar process.

Thanks!

i think several schools require you provide evidence of successfully completing your graduate studies if you apply and are accepted as a graduate student. finishing your thesis is a condition of the acceptance offer. Might want to check out the websites of the schools you are considering to see if they even accept people who wont be finishing their graduate work and determine what their policy is regarding graduate applicants

i think several schools require you provide evidence of successfully completing your graduate studies if you apply and are accepted as a graduate student. finishing your thesis is a condition of the acceptance offer. Might want to check out the websites of the schools you are considering to see if they even accept people who wont be finishing their graduate work and determine what their policy is regarding graduate applicants

This. In addition, its pretty standard to have your supervisor write one of your reference letters barring some extenuating circumstance (really don't get along with them etc)- how would your supervisor feel about you applying to medicine in your first year of a graduate degree with them?

Just points to consider.

Thank you for your replies... To add 1) I will only be applying to schools that are OK with graduate students not finishing up their program prior to med school (i.e. Ottawa, Mac); 2) My supervisor is supportive and open to ideas like that... My fear is that if I apply this year, this might affect my funding options in the future since say I get into medschool I would have to reject the graduate scholarships I receive in my 1st year (i.e. OGS, CIHR...); say I get those to start with.

Thank you for your replies... To add 1) I will only be applying to schools that are OK with graduate students not finishing up their program prior to med school (i.e. Ottawa, Mac); 2) My supervisor is supportive and open to ideas like that... My fear is that if I apply this year, this might affect my funding options in the future since say I get into medschool I would have to reject the graduate scholarships I receive in my 1st year (i.e. OGS, CIHR...); say I get those to start with.

so basically, if everything were to go as planned, you would want to simultaneously do your first year of medical school and your last year of masters? I don't know if this is allowed or even possible. maybe someone else a little more experienced with this type of situation could help??

Yes that was my thinking...

this is just my personal opionion, i havent gone through a year in medical school or done a year or masters work either but it seems to me you would be completely overwhelemed and the quality of your work in both departments will suffer greatly.

Archived