Premed 101 Forums

International UNdergrad anyonE?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an international undergrad degree and is trying for MD at Mac or is already in?? I did my undergrad from India where the marking system is entirely different so any info will be useful!

P.S. i already know that the degree wont be looked upon at Mac/anywhere but i have an extremely good undergrad record!

Thanks!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an international undergrad degree and is trying for MD at Mac or is already in?? I did my undergrad from India where the marking system is entirely different so any info will be useful!

P.S. i already know that the degree wont be looked upon at Mac/anywhere but i have an extremely good undergrad record!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you saying you already KNOW that Mac won't consider your degree? If they don't, then it doesn't matter how good your grades were, you won't be eligible to apply and will have to do another undergraduate degree.

In any case you will need to get your degree evaluated by WES, World Education Services, http://www.wes.org/, which will determine if it is acceptable (comparable) to a Canadian institution and will "translate" the grades into Canadian grades.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - are you saying you already KNOW that Mac won't consider your degree? If they don't, then it doesn't matter how good your grades were, you won't be eligible to apply and will have to do another undergraduate degree.

In any case you will need to get your degree evaluated by WES, World Education Services, http://www.wes.org/, which will determine if it is acceptable (comparable) to a Canadian institution and will "translate" the grades into Canadian grades.

hey thanks for your reply. I just received an email from Mac Admit that they do consider it and they will use the gpa evaluation done by WES :) I did it already and it came to be around 3.9. I am just hoping that the information they sent via email is to be trusted. any which ways i dont think i have any other option!

I think if its accepted then you have a chance but not a great one. One of my friends is an international student and she told me that when she asked about it they told her a max of 1 student a year is International status. But this is all hearsay and could be wrong. Just what I have heard :)

Oh. and btw, unless you come from a rich family you realllyyyy should reconsider med school in Mcmaster.....its almost $100,000 PER YEAR and thats ONLY tuition (you will obviously need to pay more for living expenses and textbooks etc etc) And I dont think banks easily give loans to international students because they could just get up and leave.

I think if its accepted then you have a chance but not a great one. One of my friends is an international student and she told me that when she asked about it they told her a max of 1 student a year is International status. But this is all hearsay and could be wrong. Just what I have heard :)

Oh. and btw, unless you come from a rich family you realllyyyy should reconsider med school in Mcmaster.....its almost $100,000 PER YEAR and thats ONLY tuition (you will obviously need to pay more for living expenses and textbooks etc etc) And I dont think banks easily give loans to international students because they could just get up and leave.

Hello Sprinkles, thanks! i am a permanent resident. only with an international undergrad and canadian masters degree.. DO you have any information pertaining to this?

oh then there should be no problems! How long have you lived in Ontario? You may even classify as 'in province' ...if you do then you would be the exact same as the rest of us applying :) If Mac accepts your degree then there is really no problem at this point

I have been here for around 3 years now. I just hope I get answers to my question on the seminar at Mac in the coming week.. R yu trying for entry in 2013?

CHeerS!

Archived