Premed 101 Forums

Volunteer + course load.

As a second year sci student, I am taking full course load and planning to volunteer at both a rehab center and a hospital next year + research with a prof+ peer tutoring + maybe some clubs. I was wondering if anyone had similar experience as an undergrad and would like to tell me if it is manageable. my current GPA is not spectacular (3.89 OSMAS) and I do not want to sacrifice my GPA because of volunteering. Thanks.

As a second year sci student, I am taking full course load and planning to volunteer at both a rehab center and a hospital next year + research with a prof+ peer tutoring + maybe some clubs. I was wondering if anyone had similar experience as an undergrad and would like to tell me if it is manageable. my current GPA is not spectacular (3.89 OSMAS) and I do not want to sacrifice my GPA because of volunteering. Thanks.

you can always bolster your ECs in the summer and honestly they pail in comparison to the importance of GPA. if you screw up your GPA it will haunt you forever. You only get one shot at GPA, but you know yourself best of all, do you think you can handle it? i volunteered during the semester but i kept it under 10 hrs / week

Hey there. As some of the previous poster's have stated, GPA is the most important at this point. Only you can judge whether you are ready for such a commitment to all those e.c.'s while maintaining a decent GPA. It can be doable but only you know if you are capable of it and not biting off more than you can chew.

Good luck!:)

ABS

It will depend on your comfort level with handling multiple works and school at the same time. Have you been doing some ECs in first year and familiar with the time management involved with balancing work/research/volunteer/academics? If not, I would start slow and then gradually add more activities as your undergrad progresses.

Hospital volunteering and research are two experiences that most ppl applying to med would recommend having. Peer mentoring gives you leadership and teaching experience which is also important. It's doable, but like above said, don't sacrifice your GPA. Get comfortable with managing your time first, and then slowly challenge yourself.

I would say it's fairly good, considering it meets the cutoffs everywhere. That being said, it will be difficult to maintain with all of the extra activities that the OP is starting next year.

Clearly some people can manage it (f_d), but I would recommend toning it down just a little bit. Ultimately the decision rests with the OP.

Archived