Premed 101 Forums

First Year Courses

Hi all,

I just recently joined and am really excited to be starting my undergraduate in Bachelor of Science. I'm a mature student applicant so I didn't do too much science or advanced maths in highschool (I'm a paramedic at the moment so somewhere along the line I found my passion).

As Requirements for my program I am taking these 3 courses:

Full year chem w/ lab

Full year bio w/ lab

Full year English (On the fence if I should take the reading literature course or the essay writing course)

I have read that I should look into taking some physics w/ lab and a calculus course so I do not close doors on some Med school requirements.

My question to you all is:

Since I don't have a physics and calculus background (And to be honest I don't see me acing calculus in particular) do Med schools look down upon taking Introductory courses rather than the ones that assume I have a basic understanding of these concepts / exposure.

Thanks all,

Sorry for the repeat postings.......I am currently building my timetable and my program advisor is on vacation :(

exactly my thought process!!!

Thanks for all the input.

Just signed up for intro physics w/ lab.

How many doors am I shutting if I go 4 years without a calculus????

Turns out I don't even meet the requirements for an INTRO into calc hahaha....bummer :(

Anyway to get around this???? (Can you do on online course to meet school requirements???)

exactly my thought process!!!

Thanks for all the input.

Just signed up for intro physics w/ lab.

How many doors am I shutting if I go 4 years without a calculus????

Turns out I don't even meet the requirements for an INTRO into calc hahaha....bummer :(

Anyway to get around this???? (Can you do on online course to meet school requirements???)

what school are you attending? You may want to meet with an academic councilor , they will be better able to help you solve you course problems. for the majority of BSc programs i think you need some math components - usually calc and stats but i know of people who didn't take calc and took linear algebra instead

I am refering to med school's that require calculus rather than my program requirements.....for my program there is a 2nd year stats course. After I complete that, this is all I'll need for my Bachelor of Science.

Depends where you are applying. I am unaware of any Canadian school that requires Calculus. You may need Calculus for some American schools though. Best to check each school's website.

Archived