Premed 101 Forums

prerequisite courses

Hey everyone, just a quick Q regarding the transcripts section on the app. For pre-req courses, can we simply choose the 6.0 credits of biology (for example) courses in which we received the highest marks? Or is it required to choose the most basic 1st year general bio courses.

I ask because my marks have an upward trend, but I took a lot of general biology type courses in 3rd and 4th year that I would prefer to have included in my pre-req GPA calcs over some 1st year courses.

Thanks for the help/advice!

Hey everyone, just a quick Q regarding the transcripts section on the app. For pre-req courses, can we simply choose the 6.0 credits of biology (for example) courses in which we received the highest marks? Or is it required to choose the most basic 1st year general bio courses.

I ask because my marks have an upward trend, but I took a lot of general biology type courses in 3rd and 4th year that I would prefer to have included in my pre-req GPA calcs over some 1st year courses.

Thanks for the help/advice!

Sorry, the first courses that satisfy the prerequisites will be used:

As a rule, the first course taken that satisfies the requirement will be used in this calculation.

That doesn't mean the upward trend won't count for anything, though!

Thanks for the tips - so presumably I should just go ahead and select my first year bio courses etc that fulfill the requirements.

However, is there any advantage in also selecting some other biology courses where I scored higher? Will that help at all to pull up my "pre-req" average, or will adcom simply remove those later anyways?

(I read the part about not including "too many" bio courses if you've taken lots, but not sure where the reasonable cutoff lies!)

Thanks for the tips - so presumably I should just go ahead and select my first year bio courses etc that fulfill the requirements.

However, is there any advantage in also selecting some other biology courses where I scored higher? Will that help at all to pull up my "pre-req" average, or will adcom simply remove those later anyways?

(I read the part about not including "too many" bio courses if you've taken lots, but not sure where the reasonable cutoff lies!)

the way i understood it when i applied was if you took the pre-requisite courses or equivalent first year courses listed on the ubc medicine info page those bio marks would be taken as your pre-requisite marks... if you include other bio courses they would not be included in your pre-requisite marks since that section was already satisfied by your first year biology courses...

They review your application and will remove any courses beyond what satisfies the prerequisites. The cutoff for including courses is just that - however many credits satisfies the requirements. I'd say there's no advantage, and potential disadvantage... don't make more work for the adcom! :P

That's not to say the upward trend won't be taken into account when they do full post-interview file review though. It just won't be taken into account in your prerequisite average.

Archived