Premed 101 Forums

Should I do a 2nd degree in Psych or Health Studies?

equus

I just finished my 2nd year in the Life Sciences program at Queen's. My first year GPA was 2.9, and my second year GPA was 3.6. I was going through some pretty terrible personal issues that caused my marks to be much lower than they could have been, but I'm over it now. I'm taking organic chemistry I this summer, and halfway through the course, I have a 95%.

I really want to go to med school at Western, which requires a minimum 3.7 GPA in each of my 2 best years. However, I'm going on exchange to Scotland for my 3rd year, to a school where it's extremely difficult to get good marks. Which just leaves my 4th year and potentially a 5th year to score fantastic marks so I can apply to Schulich.

I am very realistic and I know that my marks are my biggest issue, and I am aware that I may not get a 3.7+ GPA in each of my 4th and 5th years. So I've been considering doing a second undergrad degree...(I know that Western will only count my GPA in my 2nd degree, not my 1st one).

I've been trying to decide between psychology or health studies. I got an A+ in PSYC 100 this past year, and I absolutely love it. I plan on taking more psych courses in the near future, so if I chose to do a 2nd degree in it, I could finish it in 2 years. However, I don't want to pursue a psychology career as a backup plan if I don't get into med school, and I'm not sure what else I could do with psych.

My other option is health studies. I've never taken any health courses, but the content sounds interesting. I'm just not sure if I could finish it in 2 years, but it could help me get into a master's in public health program as a backup plan.

Thoughts or advice? I don't know what to do. I know it's far in advance, but I like to have a plan in mind.

By planning on taking a second degree so early, it appears to me as if you are unnecessarily paving the way towards an undesirable option. And a lot of potential grief. Have you looked at the "second degree" sticky? I dunno, sounds way too early for this.

My 2 cents.

I just finished my 2nd year in the Life Sciences program at Queen's. My first year GPA was 2.9, and my second year GPA was 3.6. I was going through some pretty terrible personal issues that caused my marks to be much lower than they could have been, but I'm over it now. I'm taking organic chemistry I this summer, and halfway through the course, I have a 95%.

I really want to go to med school at Western, which requires a minimum 3.7 GPA in each of my 2 best years. However, I'm going on exchange to Scotland for my 3rd year, to a school where it's extremely difficult to get good marks. Which just leaves my 4th year and potentially a 5th year to score fantastic marks so I can apply to Schulich.

I am very realistic and I know that my marks are my biggest issue, and I am aware that I may not get a 3.7+ GPA in each of my 4th and 5th years. So I've been considering doing a second undergrad degree...(I know that Western will only count my GPA in my 2nd degree, not my 1st one).

I've been trying to decide between psychology or health studies. I got an A+ in PSYC 100 this past year, and I absolutely love it. I plan on taking more psych courses in the near future, so if I chose to do a 2nd degree in it, I could finish it in 2 years. However, I don't want to pursue a psychology career as a backup plan if I don't get into med school, and I'm not sure what else I could do with psych.

My other option is health studies. I've never taken any health courses, but the content sounds interesting. I'm just not sure if I could finish it in 2 years, but it could help me get into a master's in public health program as a backup plan.

Thoughts or advice? I don't know what to do. I know it's far in advance, but I like to have a plan in mind.

To be honest, I think you are jumping the gun. You are half way through a first degree, one year with ok marks and you are already thinking of a second degree JUST because of one school? You realize that EVEN if you get the 3.7 GPA in two years, thats not a guarantee for acceptance - thats not even mentioning the high MCAT cut-offs required for Western or the fact that they prefer SWOMEN (unless you are SWOMEN).

Do you really want to go to med school? If so, I think you should opt out of your exchange to Scotland, and work your butt off for 3rd and 4th year and raise your GPA/ I don't know, the experience of an international exchange for just one year is not worth a) having to do a 5th year OR a second undergrad to me.

First of all, doing a second undergrad can limit your chances at applying to other schools in Canada. Secondly, it will be costly since you'll be stuck with at least another 2 years of tuition and won't be earning any money and thirdly, is a waste of time if you can achieve the same thing in a shorter period of time.

If I were you, I'd opt of out the exchange, keep the momentum of good grades going and apply to med school after 4 years (which would include Western). You can always travel the summer between final year and med school or after graduation.

Archived