Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

ibkiro

I realize this is probably the most redundant and tiresome kind of post but McGill Admissions is so vague about their academic selection criteria so I thought I would reach out to this community for its learned advice.

About me: Canadian citizen (Quebec resident) who followed family to the US and studied Chemistry at a US university (2009 with 3.53 overall GPA). I then did a two-year Postbac IRTA Fellowship at NIH in infectious disease for a famous scientist (3 publications), followed by my current position as a corporate grant recipient for radiology/cancer research (2 pubs and 2 abstracts accepted to the RSNA 2012 Annual Meeting, one being first-author). I also part-time assist a neuropsychiatrist who testifies as an expert witness in death penalty cases, where I get to see the intersection of medicine and the law. That’s my employment history, but I feel it doubles as shadowing experience since all of my mentors have been physicians.

My first MCAT sitting yielded a 29Q (don’t hate); second sitting, a 32R. I’m seriously debating whether or not to sit for it a third time since my GPA is not stellar, especially when looking at the stats of accepted students on this forum (39, 42, etc.). It would have to be in September before I leave for a month-long research experience in Germany but I couldn’t get a straight answer out of the admissions rep I was talking to about it.

I was incredibly involved at the college level, which is why my GPA is not the highest, but the experience made me a very persuasive public speaker and gave me good leadership skills. I was appointed to the highest decision-making body at my university, a prestigious position at my school.

At NIH, I’ve attended autopsies and shadowed morning rounds in the ICU weekly for over a year, and scheduled other “IRTAs” to come with me. I then planned other events to supplement that experience (i.e. career-life balance panel, end-of-life situation presentation, med specialty panel). I also created a service group and because of its success, was elected Chair of the NIH IRTA Committee.

Finally, though I haven’t lived in Canada for some years, I am a dual-citizen and am apparently considered in the eyes of McGill an in-province applicant, which I sincerely hope will enhance my chances of admission.

Feel free to ask any questions! So, what do you think?

I realize this is probably the most redundant and tiresome kind of post but McGill Admissions is so vague about their academic selection criteria so I thought I would reach out to this community for its learned advice.

About me: Canadian citizen (Quebec resident) who followed family to the US and studied Chemistry at a US university (2009 with 3.53 overall GPA). I then did a two-year Postbac IRTA Fellowship at NIH in infectious disease for a famous scientist (3 publications), followed by my current position as a corporate grant recipient for radiology/cancer research (2 pubs and 2 abstracts accepted to the RSNA 2012 Annual Meeting, one being first-author). I also part-time assist a neuropsychiatrist who testifies as an expert witness in death penalty cases, where I get to see the intersection of medicine and the law. That’s my employment history, but I feel it doubles as shadowing experience since all of my mentors have been physicians.

My first MCAT sitting yielded a 29Q (don’t hate); second sitting, a 32R. I’m seriously debating whether or not to sit for it a third time since my GPA is not stellar, especially when looking at the stats of accepted students on this forum (39, 42, etc.). It would have to be in September before I leave for a month-long research experience in Germany but I couldn’t get a straight answer out of the admissions rep I was talking to about it.

I was incredibly involved at the college level, which is why my GPA is not the highest, but the experience made me a very persuasive public speaker and gave me good leadership skills. I was appointed to the highest decision-making body at my university, a prestigious position at my school.

At NIH, I’ve attended autopsies and shadowed morning rounds in the ICU weekly for over a year, and scheduled other “IRTAs” to come with me. I then planned other events to supplement that experience (i.e. career-life balance panel, end-of-life situation presentation, med specialty panel). I also created a service group and because of its success, was elected Chair of the NIH IRTA Committee.

Finally, though I haven’t lived in Canada for some years, I am a dual-citizen and am apparently considered in the eyes of McGill an in-province applicant, which I sincerely hope will enhance my chances of admission.

Feel free to ask any questions! So, what do you think?

I can't comment much on McGill's admission (I didn't apply to med school yet) but from this forum, it looks like they are soft on GPA for IPs. Some get in with a 3.5x. They base their interview invited on GPA/MCAT, CV highlights, and the abstract. After the interview, GPA/MCAT is not looked on, only interview performance, CV, and Personal Narrative.

I really, really, REALLY don't want to re-take the MCAT. If they would just look at my experiences since I graduated, I feel like the things I've done are diverse and unique enough to get me in. Thank you for the thoughts!

Actually this year, the narrative is looked at before the interviews are given. This is the breakdown to get an interview

For all applicants (except NTP) 70% academic 20% personal statement 10% CV highlights

The selection process once the interviews are given are as follows

For all applicants 80% Multiple Mini-Interview 20% basic science performance

This is different from last year where the narratives were looked at post-interview.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/admissions/selection-process

Actually this year, the narrative is looked at before the interviews are given. This is the breakdown to get an interview

For all applicants (except NTP) 70% academic 20% personal statement 10% CV highlights

The selection process once the interviews are given are as follows

For all applicants 80% Multiple Mini-Interview 20% basic science performance

This is different from last year where the narratives were looked at post-interview.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/admissions/selection-process

How does McGill calculates your GPA?

thanks

Archived