Premed 101 Forums

Internship with Emergency Response Unit

This summer I am doing an internship with a volunteer emergency response unit in India. What I am the most excited about is that I get to go out with their team on emergency calls. I know this is amazing opportunity and I want to make sure that I get the most out of this experience. There is also a bit of a language barrier which I’m worried might affect my ability to contribute.

What should I do to make sure that I make the most of this opportunity?!

Wow thats amazing! Congrats on this great opportunity!

Honestly, I've never done anything like that before in my life, so hopefully my advice is still helpful. Personally I can be rather shy in new circumstances and it's held me back in the past so I guess that'd be the best advice I can give you right now...try not to be shy! Don't be afraid to really immerse yourself in the experience. The language barrier might be a problem, but don't let it overcome the experience, maybe you can find someone who can be a sort of informal translator. or use sign language, it can be universal!

Also have you ever travelled internationally before? I would recommend bringing some medications to aid any sort of intestinal distress...I'm guessing you'll be eating the food there so just to be safe I'd talk to your doctor and get some over the counter meds for that.

• 8 years later...