Premed 101 Forums

Doing Carving or not on the DAT exam?

Hi all,

CDA's DAT registration begins tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should take the carving part of the DAT. UBC won't be looking at carving for the upcoming cycle and I'm only applying to UBC this coming cycle and possibly to some American schools next year if this year doesn't go well.

Do you suggest me doing carving or not considering the fact that I will be only applying to UBC in Canada and the states?

Thanks.

Hi all,

CDA's DAT registration begins tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should take the carving part of the DAT. UBC won't be looking at carving for the upcoming cycle and I'm only applying to UBC this coming cycle and possibly to some American schools next year if this year doesn't go well.

Do you suggest me doing carving or not considering the fact that I will be only applying to UBC in Canada and the states?

Thanks.

I heard UBC would not look at the carving portion of the DAT starting this year. I'm not 100% though, better wait and see.

I would apply to schools in the states but I'm writing my DAT in November so it will be too late for their cycle. I don't want to do the American DAT since it has organic chem and math :( For the other Canadian schools, I feel that being an OOP, my average isn't going to make the cut-off :( Being a BC resident, my only chance in Canada would be for UBC only.

You never know until you try. What honestly do you have to lose by applying to other schools? Some application fees. If you think you even have an outside chance, you should apply. A forgone opportunity is a wasted one.

Best of luck. :)

Thanks Cleanup! I will try and consider other schools in Canada if I can meet their cut off averages. My average is now 80% so I'm unsure how many schools in Canada would even consider my application. And I do agree that it's risky to just applying to UBC but I feel like I have no other choice :(

Have a look at the weighting formulas that schools use. For example, UWO only takes your best two years and U of T drops your worst one. I'm sure the central province schools do something similar.

Call the schools and ask. Get several opinions.

Don't cripple yourself before you even take a single step.

Good luck. :)

Even though U of T doesn’t look at MDT, when I emailed they said that every section of the exam, including the MDT, has to be written. Did anyone get an interview at U of T while having declined the MDT portion of DAT?

But this is what it says on the cda website:

Not all Canadian dental schools use the Manual Dexterity Test (MDT) as part of their admission requirements. At this time McGill University, the University of British Columbia, the University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario do not require the Manual Dexterity Test Score. However, students who plan to apply to more than one school should strongly consider taking the MDT. Students are encouraged to verify the admission requirements directly with their school(s) of choice.

But this is what it says on the cda website:

Not all Canadian dental schools use the Manual Dexterity Test (MDT) as part of their admission requirements. At this time McGill University, the University of British Columbia, the University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario do not require the Manual Dexterity Test Score. However, students who plan to apply to more than one school should strongly consider taking the MDT. Students are encouraged to verify the admission requirements directly with their school(s) of choice.

Yes excatly, but I when emailed they said that regardless, the MDT portion must be completed, they just won’t take the mark into account.

They also have this on their admission website: “The Canadian DAT is offered twice a year (February and November) and all sections of the test must be completed. The Academic Average (AA) and Perceptual Ability Test (PAT) scores are part of the admission process. If the test is written more than once, the highest set of DAT scores will be used. The DAT must have been taken within two calendar years prior to the application deadline”

I just wanted to see how strict they are about this policy, since obviously adding MDT is a waste of money for ppl applying only to U of T.

Yes excatly, but I when emailed they said that regardless, the MDT portion must be completed, they just won’t take the mark into account.

They also have this on their admission website: “The Canadian DAT is offered twice a year (February and November) and all sections of the test must be completed. The Academic Average (AA) and Perceptual Ability Test (PAT) scores are part of the admission process. If the test is written more than once, the highest set of DAT scores will be used. The DAT must have been taken within two calendar years prior to the application deadline”

I just wanted to see how strict they are about this policy, since obviously adding MDT is a waste of money for ppl applying only to U of T.

ugh looks like I have to give them another call

EDIT: where does it say that?

^ type DAT in the 'ask your question' search tab on their web

If you call, please let me know what they say. I hope they change their minds about this :)

I think that is old. The main admissions page was updated on July 16th and I think they have removed that requirement because I do remember reading "all sections of the test must be completed" on their main page in the past.

Archived