Premed 101 Forums

I don't think you can get in after second year anymore. The new applicant manual states: "you must have completed, by the time of application, two full‐time years". This implies that the earliest you could enter the MD program would be after 3rd year.

Hello Everyone!

This is my first ever post! Any way, I will be in grade 12 this upcoming school year and I want to study medicine at the University of Calgary. From the University's website I understand that an average of 0-3 SECOND YEARS get into medicine every year. I know it is difficult to get into medicine after undergrad, even more difficult after 3rd year, and extremely difficult to get in after 2 years. I am a very ambitious and hardworking person and my dream is to get in after 2 years. How should I go about doing this?

In terms of GPA and MCAT I think it is self explanatory that I need to try and get near or achieve the highest possible score.

However, what do they expect in terms of Activities? What would make me stand out?

It would be help me tremendously if you guys could at least direct me to someone who got in to U of C Med after 2 years so I can learn more.

By the way, I am IP.

Thank you!

You need a better dream. Just work hard and have fun doing activities that you enjoy that will also satisfy the 6 characteristic traits UofC looks for (you can find them in the applicant handbook) and it will eventually pay off. There's no secret trick. Average age of students entering the MD program at the UofC is close to 25.

medicg said:
I don't think you can get in after second year anymore. The new applicant manual states: "you must have completed, by the time of application, two full‐time years". This implies that the earliest you could enter the MD program would be after 3rd year.

No, you can still apply as a 2nd year for Alberta and Saskatchewan. It's fine setting this as your goal but be aware that you need a super gpa and mcat so it's not easy (especially if you are applying as an oop for Saskatchewan)

EDIT: Apparently the requirements for oop UofS applicants changed this year and now an oop must be in their 4th year to apply. I may have misunderstood their applicant manual tho...

You need a better dream. Just work hard and have fun doing activities that you enjoy that will also satisfy the 6 characteristic traits UofC looks for (you can find them in the applicant handbook) and it will eventually pay off. There's no secret trick. Average age of students entering the MD program at the UofC is close to 25.

Closer to 26 as of the class of 2014.

Also OP, I don't think Calgary even accepts applicants with only 2 years UG anymore.

This isn't a race. Any extra bit of life experience that you can gather before beginning an MD program will help out a lot. As mentioned previously, there is no magic formula as to which activities will land you an interview invite or an acceptance. As cliche as it sounds, just do the activities that you enjoy, it will come across as much more genuine in your application. I personally enjoy working with people so many of my activities were very social. It's also much less of a matter of which activities you do and more about how you highlight them in your application.

Archived